Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 15, 2007
936 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill

pasta sauce recommendation

as the title states im looking for a decent pasta sauce.im willing to make my own from scratch if needed .over the past few years ive had my share with various premade ones like classico , unico , ragu , prego and pc ones , all of which doesnt really do anything for my pallet and get very dull after a few bites.to be frank i havent had really good spaghetti and meatballs since kinder garden days which the daycare made us lunches and what not.if anyone can recommend something good or point me in the right direction of making my very own that would be great .
59 replies
Mar 28, 2008
828 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
My fav: Thick and Chunky Catelli Garden Select Six Vegetable Recipe-Diced Tomatoes & Basil Pasta Sauce
Jun 4, 2008
456 posts
4 upvotes
The ONLY good "premade" sauce I've found is White Linen by Victoria at costco. 2 jars for 8 $. Marinara, Roasted Garlic, and 4 Cheese. I usually keep a bottle or two of marinara on hand, if I want quick/minimal mess, although making your own doesnt take much either imo. When making my own, I always vary what I use ( the constants being garlic/salt/pepper/oil/onion). I'll use either homemade strained tomatoes, storebought strained, diced, whole, depends what I've picked up off the shelf. White wine, chicken stock, crushed chili, basil, vodka, brandy, etc etc etc, depends my mood. But, as far as premade goes, the white linen marinara is my top choice so far (fine "as is" if you only want a tomato sauce, or a perfect base with which to make whatever else you want ie pescatore/a la vodka/putanesca/etc etc).

hth

TV
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
109 upvotes
I personally loveee ragu. I'm going to make some spaghetti and meatballs tonight for my bf ! Will see how it turns out. :cheesygri
[OP]
Jan 15, 2007
936 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Slashz28 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 1:36 pm
The ONLY good "premade" sauce I've found is White Linen by Victoria at costco. 2 jars for 8 $. Marinara, Roasted Garlic, and 4 Cheese. I usually keep a bottle or two of marinara on hand, if I want quick/minimal mess, although making your own doesnt take much either imo. When making my own, I always vary what I use ( the constants being garlic/salt/pepper/oil/onion). I'll use either homemade strained tomatoes, storebought strained, diced, whole, depends what I've picked up off the shelf. White wine, chicken stock, crushed chili, basil, vodka, brandy, etc etc etc, depends my mood. But, as far as premade goes, the white linen marinara is my top choice so far (fine "as is" if you only want a tomato sauce, or a perfect base with which to make whatever else you want ie pescatore/a la vodka/putanesca/etc etc).

hth

TV
will give that brand a shot.i really just want a basic tomato sauce that doesnt have that overpowering taste that seems to come about with most pre made sauces.i just want a light tomato sauce that will be easy on the pallet ,as i get sick of food easily with strong flavors that most premade sauces seem to have whether it be the acidic or that savior flavor they carry.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1788 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
This is how I make my pasta:
1. Boil the pasta, strain and put to aside
2. Pan fry the sauce (premade or from scratch). No Oil needed
3. Once the sauce starts to bubble, put in the pasta
4. Heat it up and try to make the pasta absorb most of the sauce
5. Add olive oil, mix and heat continue heating it up
6. Serve immediately

Not sure if this is the common way to make the pasta but the final product is so much tastier than making pasta + sauce separately and combine right before serving. The downside of this is - can only make small batches at a time depending on the pan/wok you have.
spot finder
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11105 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
Slashz28 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 1:36 pm

hth

TV
+1. The marinara is my favourite. I was at Costco today (Queensway/Islington) and didn't see any of the White Linen sauces. Maybe Costco stopped carrying their products?

I also like the refrigerated Pasta Romo pomodoro sauce from Costco as well. And it's made in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
5426 posts
790 upvotes
nsX- wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 1:24 pm
i havent had really good spaghetti and meatballs since kinder garden days which the daycare made us lunches and what not.if anyone can recommend something good or point me in the right direction of making my very own that would be great .
My favourite recipe for spaghetti and meatballs comes from Cook's Illustrated. The bread mixed with buttermilk is key, it lightens up the meat mixture.

My changes to the recipe are to only use beef, also I throw in the whole egg instead of just the yolk, and I bake the meatballs at 375F. for about 20 minutes. It's so much easier than browning in a skillet.

Good luck!!

Classic Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe:

http://food.yahoo.com/recipes/cooks-ill ... -meatballs
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1155 posts
3 upvotes
usa
i am not a big fan of spaghetti. i prefer linguine tho, esp al dente.

i dont like premade jars of spaghetti sauce since its way too sour and you dont taste anything other sour. we used to make it with ketchup as the base, but stopped doing that for years. i guess i like linguine a la vongole more now, so i prefer oil base paste sauce, but never tried making it.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4999 posts
526 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
audit13 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 7:41 pm
+1. The marinara is my favourite. I was at Costco today (Queensway/Islington) and didn't see any of the White Linen sauces. Maybe Costco stopped carrying their products?

I also like the refrigerated Pasta Romo pomodoro sauce from Costco as well. And it's made in Canada.
The White Linen bottled sauce is still in my local whse. Yours may be waiting for a new supply. I like to make a simple sauce with their San Marzano cans, as they are sweet tomatoes, no acid.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2007
936 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bonterra wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 8:04 pm
My favourite recipe for spaghetti and meatballs comes from Cook's Illustrated. The bread mixed with buttermilk is key, it lightens up the meat mixture.

My changes to the recipe are to only use beef, also I throw in the whole egg instead of just the yolk, and I bake the meatballs at 375F. for about 20 minutes. It's so much easier than browning in a skillet.

Good luck!!

Classic Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe:

http://food.yahoo.com/recipes/cooks-ill ... -meatballs
if you have used premade sauces before , how would you compare it to made from scratch ones.i think the main reason i have trouble eating premade is due to the strong sour taste.i will definitely be giving the made from scratch a shot.anyone know where to buy those san marzano tomatoes cans? i know / heard those are the best for any red sauce for pasta.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2007
936 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jayt90 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 8:23 pm
The White Linen bottled sauce is still in my local whse. Yours may be waiting for a new supply. I like to make a simple sauce with their San Marzano cans, as they are sweet tomatoes, no acid.
:D where are you buying your cans !!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5432 posts
172 upvotes
BC
Making an good tasting pasta sauce is easy. I dont like mine chunky so I use tomato sauce.

For one large can I add:
2 chopped onions
3 cloves of garlic minced
basil and oregano, sorry, never measure
good splash of red wine
fresh parsley

Simmer for a few hours (3-4) until the onions break down and thicken the sauce.
You can also add chopped green onions and mushrooms, whatever you like.

I also make meatballs and drop in the sauce raw and let them cook along with it. Super delicious.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17604 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton
Keelie wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 8:48 pm
Making an good tasting pasta sauce is easy. I dont like mine chunky so I use tomato sauce.

For one large can I add:
2 chopped onions
3 cloves of garlic minced
basil and oregano, sorry, never measure
good splash of red wine
fresh parsley

Simmer for a few hours (3-4) until the onions break down and thicken the sauce.
You can also add chopped green onions and mushrooms, whatever you like.

I also make meatballs and drop in the sauce raw and let them cook along with it. Super delicious.
sounds about the same as mine, omitted the basil though

and ditto on the chunky sauce. I hate chunky sauce

edit: whoops, my mistake, you did say basil
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4999 posts
526 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
nsX- wrote:
Jan 10th, 2010 8:29 pm
:D where are you buying your cans !!!!
Ajax, for the White Linen. And they also have 108 oz cans of sweet San Marzano for $4. That should be in Queensway as it is a popular item.
× < >