• Dec 8th, 2009 9:31 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 26, 2007
359 posts
51 upvotes

Patent A Logo/Stamp

Whats the process of copyrighting/patent a logo/name. Like for example **** Photography. I've seen some people just put a name/logo on their pictures but dont got it copyrighted. Like who do I got to go through, costs, etc

Or is this needed?
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7645 posts
1516 upvotes
Most peoople are more concern about the copyright of their photo than their name/logo.

If it is your company, name XXX Photography, than it should be a trademark that you are concern about.

With photos, you already own the copy right if they are truely your work.

http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipoi ... f/eng/Home
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Aug 18, 2007
964 posts
5 upvotes
Any work you create is already copyrighted off the bat, unless explicitly defined as otherwise. In other words, if you design a logo, it's copyrighted the second you finish designing it.

For a company, you don't need to do anything if you are merely operating as your legal name. If you want to create XYZ Photography, then you will need to register it as a business, which costs something like $60. Registering it prevents other people from taking the name if they are in the same category as you, and allows you to file taxes and stuff under the company name.
[OP]
Sep 26, 2007
359 posts
51 upvotes
Seiphas wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 7:22 pm
Any work you create is already copyrighted off the bat, unless explicitly defined as otherwise. In other words, if you design a logo, it's copyrighted the second you finish designing it.

For a company, you don't need to do anything if you are merely operating as your legal name. If you want to create XYZ Photography, then you will need to register it as a business, which costs something like $60. Registering it prevents other people from taking the name if they are in the same category as you, and allows you to file taxes and stuff under the company name.
Thanx for the info. I had a friend in the States make a logo for me for free. How would i get that copyrighted or is that not possible since he made it?
[OP]
Sep 26, 2007
359 posts
51 upvotes
Seiphas wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 7:22 pm

Also where can I get more info on the costs? like you said a rough guess of $60
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21312 posts
2131 upvotes
kukkudo wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 11:13 pm
Thanx for the info. I had a friend in the States make a logo for me for free. How would i get that copyrighted or is that not possible since he made it?
Look up the differences between a patent, copyright, and a trademark. It appears you have the three confused.

What are you intending to create? A business? A brand?
[OP]
Sep 26, 2007
359 posts
51 upvotes
Basically create a photography business.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21312 posts
2131 upvotes
kukkudo wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 12:05 am
Basically create a photography business.
To play devils advocate...a photography business when you picked up a D90 and kit lens a few days ago?
[OP]
Sep 26, 2007
359 posts
51 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 12:08 am
To play devils advocate...a photography business when you picked up a D90 and kit lens a few days ago?
No smart ass if you got nothing nice to stay then dont post. I just wanted to know for my knowledge. I dont want to be the common dumb person who thinks they can just make a name a logo without looking at the legal issues involved.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21312 posts
2131 upvotes
kukkudo wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 12:11 am
No smart ass if you got nothing nice to stay then dont post. I just wanted to know for my knowledge. I dont want to be the common dumb person who thinks they can just make a name a logo without looking at the legal issues involved.
I don't find anything I said to be particularly insulting or in bad taste; rather it was a simple recount of the facts presented.

No one ever accused or claimed you were the, "common dumb person...." Everyone thus far has offered insight both into your photography and legal situation.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2007
1760 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
kukkudo wrote:
I think you took his post a bit too serious. There was nothing particularly bad about his post in my opinion, just questioning your intentions.
Feb 17, 2007
892 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
kukkudo wrote:
lol @ sudden rage
You took his post wayyy to serious in case you didn't know lol