• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2018 11:02 am
[OP]
Jul 30, 2016
280 posts
58 upvotes

Paternity Leave

Hi All,

We had a newborn November 2017, we are doing fine now. If i wanted to apply for a paternity leave to have a break for 1 year am i allowed to apply next year in 2019 ?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1094 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
Paternity leave is shared with the mom. If the mom takes 5 months then the other parent can take 7 months.

As far as I know you can't break up the time off. Like, the mom takes 5 months, go back to work for a while, and then the other parent takes 7 months off. I believe the time off has to be consecutive (all within 12 months).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8180 posts
628 upvotes
Toronto
Just to add, if you don't need to be paid while you are off (as the male), you don't need to split the 12 months. You can even do simultaneously off with your wife.

I did that for a few months and it was a great experience. I got to go to Mommy & newborn groups with my wife, enjoyed the happy singings, and get togethers.

Here's the official website for more info:
https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es ... -leave.php
Apr 28, 2017
479 posts
310 upvotes
You and your partner get a certain amount of time off. You can do it at the same time or she can go first and then you after or give versa. Whatever time you take off takes out of her time. If she's on leave now, and say she's off for 8 months, you could then take the remaining time after her
Nov 13, 2006
625 posts
326 upvotes
Ontario- No, you have to apply within 78 weeks of when baby was born. the start date has to be within 78 weeks after baby was born.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)