Careers

Path to Get a 'Good' Government Job?

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2019 1:46 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4227 posts
783 upvotes
momawj wrote: Once you're in, are there opportunities to grow and move up?
It's more that government (municipal, provincial, federal) is a large organization. Which itself means there are a lot of jobs. The same as working for a large bank, telecom or consumer goods. It's not that working for government gives you more opportunities (it doesn't) but rather being at a large organization means that there are more internal jobs you can apply for.
Sep 28, 2013
597 posts
275 upvotes
dsweetlou wrote: Sure, but he also has an MBA from Harvard. Regardless of what his first job was he probably would have been successful regardless.

From Victor Dodig's bio page:

He is a graduate of the Harvard Business School, where he earned an MBA and was recognized as a Baker Scholar. Victor holds a diploma from the Institut d'études politiques in Paris and completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Toronto (St. Michael's College) in Commerce.
I agree - that was also back then where mobility was a lot more possible. I lost count of the number of presentations where I've heard 'I used to work in the mailroom, now I'm the head of fixed income trading'....those moves don't happen anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1143 upvotes
Some people are thinking "Publically funded" jobs which would more broadly include public health care institutions, public transit etc. Some people are thinking an actual government office like Service Ontario or Service Canada, or any number of federal or provincial agencies ranging from transit to environment. I've worked at a hospital before and also some non-profit agencies (not funded by government). My general feeling is that when there is no profit motive, it attracts people of a more bureaucratic mindset. In the for-profit sector, it is pretty apparent that there are more of the "go-getter" alpha types. For-profit sector workers tend to enjoy making changes much more so than in the non-profit sector.

At the end of the day, it boils down to whether you can convince someone that you can do the job. Your attitude affects how people perceive you. If you are gunning for jobs in the non-profit sector, you need to be more aware of employment equity (which really means total discrimination against white males). It's really luck dependent too because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes you end up with an interview with someone who doesn't want progressive thinking.

My main point is that to land any job, you should be aware of what the interviewer is looking for and also what the industry is like. The better you understand, the better you can tailor your interview answers. For most entry/intermediate level jobs, there are plenty of candidates who have the technical skill. So assuming you have the hard skills as well, it just boils down to "feelings".