Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2043 posts
78 upvotes
Niagara area

Patio interlock and moss between stones - what to do

So what do people do with moss between patio stones?

Do you leave it, spray with wipeout or what.
15 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
GTT1 wrote: So what do people do with moss between patio stones?

Do you leave it, spray with wipeout or what.

Nothing. It adds character.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
1568 posts
417 upvotes
Canada
I use moss out. Works good.

I also heard the cheap Tide laundry soap works as well. Just sprinkle it on and wet it a bit and let it sit overnight and then wash it away.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2043 posts
78 upvotes
Niagara area
nalababe wrote: Nothing. It adds character.

Thats what the wife says but can it become a major problem?
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
GTT1 wrote: Thats what the wife says but can it become a major problem?

What problem?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
I'm in the process of killing our moss and will remove it, blast out the sand, and replace it with a good polymeric sand - only way to keep it from coming back.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2043 posts
78 upvotes
Niagara area
nalababe wrote: What problem?

Don't know thats why I am asking!!

Why is the Captain getting rid of his. I cannot perceive of any problem other than becoming unsightly if it gets outside of the joints.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2043 posts
78 upvotes
Niagara area
CaptSmethwick wrote: I'm in the process of killing our moss and will remove it, blast out the sand, and replace it with a good polymeric sand - only way to keep it from coming back.

What will good polymeric sand have to do with it? Does it have an active ingredient that kills or prevents moss from growing.

We did our patio last May and used Techniseal RG+ Polymeric Jointing Sand. Patio gets filtered sunlight until 4 p.m. I thought Techniseal was one of the better polymeric sands. Techniseals spec sheet says it inhibits weed growth, to me that is like saying stuff is going to grow. Eliminates would be a word to count on and moss and weeds are probably not considered the same.

I am inclined to believe moss will grow anywhere it has optimum conditions. Heck it grows on fairly smooth granite rocks in cottage country.

My guess is it may be controlled with chemicals but not eliminated. I will live with it or use a killing agent but certainly not going to blast out the existing sand and replace it because I am sure it will come back.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
GTT1 wrote: What will good polymeric sand have to do with it? Does it have an active ingredient that kills or prevents moss from growing.

We did our patio last May and used Techniseal RG+ Polymeric Jointing Sand. Patio gets filtered sunlight until 4 p.m. I thought Techniseal was one of the better polymeric sands. Techniseals spec sheet says it inhibits weed growth, to me that is like saying stuff is going to grow. Eliminates would be a word to count on and moss and weeds are probably not considered the same.

I am inclined to believe moss will grow anywhere it has optimum conditions. Heck it grows on fairly smooth granite rocks in cottage country.

My guess is it may be controlled with chemicals but not eliminated. I will live with it or use a killing agent but certainly not going to blast out the existing sand and replace it because I am sure it will come back.

If you like moss between stones, then go for it. When it comes to bare footing on the patio around the pool, I don't like the feel of moss and I particularly don't like how it retains moisture (like dew). I also don't like the look in that application (am okay with it in other settings). Therefore, I want it gone around our pool. Keep in mind that moss requires moisture and a growing medium - IOW, like virtually any plant. A good polymeric does not provide a growing medium and moss just will not grow until the polymeric has failed. Once upon a time, that would take 1-2 years but nowadays a good polymeric should last at least 5 years - during that time, moss absolutely should not grow.
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
62 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: If you like moss between stones, then go for it. When it comes to bare footing on the patio around the pool, I don't like the feel of moss and I particularly don't like how it retains moisture (like dew). I also don't like the look in that application (am okay with it in other settings). Therefore, I want it gone around our pool. Keep in mind that moss requires moisture and a growing medium - IOW, like virtually any plant. A good polymeric does not provide a growing medium and moss just will not grow until the polymeric has failed. Once upon a time, that would take 1-2 years but nowadays a good polymeric should last at least 5 years - during that time, moss absolutely should not grow.

ok. I don't know how you can make the assertion that moss won't grow - they just need a firm surface and tightly locked sand seems like a good enough surface to me. Oh, and they break down the rock below them to sustain themselves. So I guess the sand won't have much nutrients (just silica), but once other things (dust?) gets trapped in the sand, they will have something to feed on and grow!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
PhuFighter wrote: ok. I don't know how you can make the assertion that moss won't grow - they just need a firm surface and tightly locked sand seems like a good enough surface to me. Oh, and they break down the rock below them to sustain themselves. So I guess the sand won't have much nutrients (just silica), but once other things (dust?) gets trapped in the sand, they will have something to feed on and grow!

I would recommend that you read up on what polymeric sand is. I'm sure there are conditions where moss will grow on a well-drained, well-lit polymeric sand joint but I have yet to encounter them.

Also, I found your reference to moss as "they" to be interesting and even a tad anthropomorphic...
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
62 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: I would recommend that you read up on what polymeric sand is. I'm sure there are conditions where moss will grow on a well-drained, well-lit polymeric sand joint but I have yet to encounter them.

Also, I found your reference to moss as "they" to be interesting and even a tad anthropomorphic...

Polymeric sand as in the tough angular sand that "locks"? A relative has used it and has fuzzy green growth that appears to be some sort of moss: it's only in the area that is permanently shaded by a privacy fence and not the rest of the patio. There is also moss growing on the grass adjacent to the patio stones as well. The area gets wet and doesn't try out.

As for anthropomorphic? From dictionary.com:
they
   /ðeɪ/ Show Spelled[they] Show IPA
–plural pronoun, possessive their or theirs, objective them.
nominative plural of he, she, and it.
it
1   /ɪt/ Show Spelled [it] Show IPA pronoun, nominative it, possessive its or (Obsolete or Dialect) it, objective it; plural nominative they, possessive their or theirs, objective them; noun
–pronoun
(used to represent an inanimate thing understood, previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context): It has whitewall tires and red upholstery. you can't tell a book by its cover.

Seems correct usage to me.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
Moss between interlock looks great. In fact, I'm trying hard to protect my moss and encourage it too grow, but on my driveway it's too sunny and dry. So instead, I get ugly weeds. :(

Unfortunately, those weeds also grow in the polymeric sand, although nowhere near as well as in soil. Moss doesn't seem to like that polymeric sand at all though.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2043 posts
78 upvotes
Niagara area
Interesting comments. Thanks all

I guess I will just leave it be.

Should have done a poll,

1-Who likes it
2-Who wants it gone
3-Couldn't care less
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
PhuFighter wrote: Polymeric sand as in the tough angular sand that "locks"? A relative has used it and has fuzzy green growth that appears to be some sort of moss: it's only in the area that is permanently shaded by a privacy fence and not the rest of the patio. There is also moss growing on the grass adjacent to the patio stones as well. The area gets wet and doesn't try out.

As for anthropomorphic? From dictionary.com:Seems correct usage to me.

Your experience with polymeric is rather narrow - the newer and better versions are tough and very grout-like. Trust me, moss will only grow on that stuff if it's constantly in the shade and frequenly wet - and even then it won't have a good hold because there'll be no real crevice for it to root into. Heck, I live in the forest and am absolutely surrounded by moss, lichen, etc. and the only moss I get between patio stones is where there's true sand. Where I've used the most recent polymeric formulations, I get neither weeds nor moss - even in the shade.

And please don't take the anthropomorphic comment too seriously - your post abruptly went from moss in general to pluralizing individual plants in a manner that struck me as amusing. It was wrong of me to comment on it.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2637 posts
1353 upvotes
CANADA
I used polymeric sand. This is the third summer. That spongy green stuff is back in a few cracks. A good clean up and new polymeric sand application should it fix it until next time. Overall, the polymeric sand did a good job. Nothing is perfect, nothing will stay perfect.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)