Patriot Box Office Owners Thread

Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2795 posts
49 upvotes
Kanata
Beradon wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 1:27 pm
Ext. USB hard drives can be very finicky. Even though your drive may work with another PC it may not like communicating with the PBO. Do you have another USB hard drive to try out with the PBO?

If not then try flashing other firmware(official or custom).

I don't have another hard drive but I can try a USB thumb drive. I was figuring I should probably update the firmware anyways.
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1135 upvotes
Mississauga East
I tried to get ASPM at NCIX against Infonec at $70

Denied ASPM - this is what they wrote

Unfortunately, we have not approved your price match request for Patriot Box Office Network Media Player 2.5IN HDD Support USB HDMI LAN MKV RMVB ISO DTS P2P, but we'll offer a price of with $52.17 after MIR..

I have tried 3 ASPMs at NCIX and each time they fail to match the price
What is the point to ASPM at NCIX?
Jan 11, 2009
304 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Converted some flv’s to mpeg because I couldn’t play them directly. Playing them through my USB – automatically restarted the PBO’s 3 times before they played – happens every time I try and play converted FLV’s – that my only gripe – otherwise been good with all other content.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
235 upvotes
zz000ter wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 3:13 pm

Unfortunately, we have not approved your price match request for Patriot Box Office Network Media Player 2.5IN HDD Support USB HDMI LAN MKV RMVB ISO DTS P2P, but we'll offer a price of with $52.17 after MIR..

Have you tried MemoryExpress.com? I've always had good success doing their Uber Price Match program.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1135 upvotes
Mississauga East
I wanted to do an ISPU at the Mississauga NCIX.
$6 shipping from ME wipes out any savings
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11053 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
zz000ter wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 3:13 pm

I agree, but sometimes you get lucky. In my case, it took me 4 tries (2 under my name, 2 under my friend's name) to get a pm from ncix.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4493 posts
705 upvotes
Whitby
Took PBO to cottage but forgot the remote! No movies for the kids unless someone can help....I need a code for a Shaw Motorola remote to control the PBO. Limitted internet on cell here, I searched a bit with no luck before asking.

TIA
Jul 11, 2009
299 posts
40 upvotes
Canada
Has anyone played a mkv of a cenavia protected movie like The Tourist with this device and the latest firmware update?
Jul 11, 2008
522 posts
166 upvotes
Zamboni wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 10:03 pm
Took PBO to cottage but forgot the remote! No movies for the kids unless someone can help....I need a code for a Shaw Motorola remote to control the PBO. Limitted internet on cell here, I searched a bit with no luck before asking.

TIA

hard to find, and not exactly what you are looing for.

got wifi and can put pbo on network... and a jailbroken iphone?

http://www.acryan.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 2&start=20
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
10671 posts
3294 upvotes
Kitchener
enigma54 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 12:27 am
Thanks...so are you saying that you've tried high bit-rate MKV's and some work while others don't? Hit and miss? I have a HTPC running XBMC in my main rig that can handle any MKV you throw at it, but I want a simple media player like a PBO in a 2nd system to also play the same high bit-rate MKV's without going to the effort of converting them to m2ts. What chipset will handle the high bitrate MKV's? Do I have to look at the higher end players like Dune and Popcorn Hour?
Did your XBMC rig cost $45 too ? ;)
Anyway, how would one acquire a really high bitrate MKV ? I mean if you are authoring your own media you would always start with the m2ts not with the MKV.
For example check the Samsung MKV demo here, why would anyone create an MKV at 40Mbps is beyond me, at such bitrate the space savings from the m2ts is insignificant and the encoding involved needs a decent rig to even run smoothly.
amd111 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 12:41 am
I've been using 100mb wired network for a while now HTPC/FAT+ and now POBO. I've noticed a little bit of stuttering on some high bit rate mkvs on FAT+ i.e. +14Mbps. The HTPC with XMBC was fine on 1Gb connection though. From my understanding anything over 12Mbps might introduce issues on 100mb wired network. It also depends on other factors like reference frames...etc. I always like to use mediainfo to check audio/video containers for other people's encodes.
As you rightfully noted, bitrate is just one part of the equation, but even on a 100mb wire you can get 20~25mbps MKVs to run smoothly, given that the file itself has a reasonable encoding profile and that no other process is running on the box (like BT or SAMBA)
Blueroom wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 12:52 am
I picked up a used PBO Core that has the acryan firmware on it. Is it possible to reflash back to factory firmware?
Sure yes.
Zamboni wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 9:18 am
Not seeing any stuttering on a wired network here with largest MKV's playing on Medebo.
File size has little to do with it, a long enough MKV file can run to 7~8GB even with modest bit rates.
cdnNick wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 12:55 pm
On the weekend I plugged in my 2.5" USB drive and the PBO froze, I wasn't able to navigate the menu but as soon as I unplugged the drive it was fine. Anyone run into this before? It just has the stock firmware on it.
Is it USB powered ? might want to use an externally powered USB hub.
Is it FAT32 formatted ? might want to reformat the drive in NTFS.
Is it multi-partitioned ? might want to remove all partition and reformat into a single NTFS one.
Zamboni wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 10:03 pm
The PBO remote codes can be found here.
Its also available in logitech harmony database.
The MedeBO (and ACRBO) have a web enabled remote interface.
ben35 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 11:20 pm
Has anyone played a mkv of a cenavia protected movie like The Tourist with this device and the latest firmware update?
Cinavia isn't an MKV issue but rather a BR disc protection scheme. So to rephrase your question: the PBO can't play Cinavia protected bluray discs.
Ascend Y300 Owners thread (Unlock, Root and Debrand)
LG G2 Owners thread (Unlock, Root and Debrand)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
1914 posts
381 upvotes
Thornhill
ben35 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2011 11:20 pm

As I replied in the other thread, PBO and most other media players do not have Cinavia as the devices are not licensed Blu-Ray players.
So yes, the movie would play.
aasoror wrote:
Aug 30th, 2011 1:10 am
Cinavia isn't an MKV issue but rather a BR disc protection scheme. So to rephrase your question: the PBO can't play Cinavia protected bluray discs.

Cinavia has been used in both Blu-ray discs as well as DVDs; and theatres projection movies.
PBO can play ripped Cinavia protected Blu-Ray fine; there is no Cinavia detection hardware or software in the media player.

If Cinavia is implemented (as in PS3), it would stop the playback of Cinavia protected video/audio without AACS (or CSS) REGARDLESS of video format/containers; including your own rip of Blu-Rays/DVDs you own yourself.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
10671 posts
3294 upvotes
Kitchener
nosnoop wrote:
Aug 30th, 2011 2:37 am
If Cinavia is implemented (as in PS3), it would stop the playback of Cinavia protected video/audio without AACS (or CSS) REGARDLESS of video format/containers; including your own rip of Blu-Rays/DVDs you own yourself.
Do you mean that Cinavia protection is carried on even when a BDMV ripped to MKV ?
Ascend Y300 Owners thread (Unlock, Root and Debrand)
LG G2 Owners thread (Unlock, Root and Debrand)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
1914 posts
381 upvotes
Thornhill
aasoror wrote:
Aug 30th, 2011 3:20 am
Do you mean that Cinavia protection is carried on even when a BDMV ripped to MKV ?

Yes, in theory, though PS3 cannot play mkv. Right now, PS3 would stop playing the video whether it is ripped into AVCHD, m2ts, xvid, avi, DVD...

But, in future, any mkv capable Blu-Ray player with Cinavia would be affected.

Cinavia is an audio watermark, and it can survive downmixing and transcoding (or even recording via microphone of a camcorder in a movie theatre).
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4493 posts
705 upvotes
Whitby
I should rephrase; need code to put in Shaw Motorola remote so that remote can control our PBO. Remote is programable, maybe no code exists for PBO?
Or if someone can recommend a universal remote that can control a PBO and comes with code? Prefer cheaper than Harmony....any of the 4in1 etc brands work?
Sep 26, 2008
876 posts
108 upvotes
Hey Guys,

How is "P70R2 megapack"? I have read some reports that it was corrupting some PBO boxes. I haven't used PBO a lot... just with P61 it came with and now with MedeBO 5249. I really like MedeBo however it lacks online video services.
× < >