• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2010 9:44 pm
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37882 posts
823 upvotes
Richmond Hill
How's the interface on this Popbox?

I'm looking for "client" units that can stream from a server I have set up, playing mainly MKV and RMVB files up to 1080p, with at least 5.1 DTS output. A year ago I gave the WDTV Live a try but I found it extremely difficult to navigate to network shares, and there were also minor problems getting Chinese Unicode to show up in titles. I'm personally used to HTPC software interfaces, such as XBMC, GBPVR, etc.

What's the best solution? Is the Apple TV a good alternative? I don't mind paying $200 if it means it gets the job done, as it's still cheaper than buying a computer for the purpose. Should I wait for the Dlink Boxee?
Banned
Jan 28, 2007
554 posts
48 upvotes
Another possible media player could be a compact desktop running xbmc for windows, it seems to have a good amount of options

http://xbmc.org/
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37882 posts
823 upvotes
Richmond Hill
newt_101 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2010 5:45 pm
Popbox has been updated: http://www.popbox.com/

Amazon.com (available only in the US for now, but you can obviously ship it to a holding station at the border too):

$149 Wireless: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRQO0
$129 Wired: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BYRQNQ
I saw older pictures on Afterdawn and it had a Coax output instead of Optical - did they change that, or are there two different versions? I much prefer Coax over optical.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
4876 posts
444 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Popbox just announced that the upcoming Popbox WILL have a YouTube app!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
6375 posts
732 upvotes
Winnipeg
Jon Lai wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2010 3:47 am

I'm looking for "client" units that can stream from a server I have set up, playing mainly MKV and RMVB files up to 1080p, with at least 5.1 DTS output. A year ago I gave the WDTV Live a try but I found it extremely difficult to navigate to network shares, and there were also minor problems getting Chinese Unicode to show up in titles. I'm personally used to HTPC software interfaces, such as XBMC, GBPVR, etc.

What's the best solution? Is the Apple TV a good alternative? I don't mind paying $200 if it means it gets the job done, as it's still cheaper than buying a computer for the purpose. Should I wait for the Dlink Boxee?
on the realtek based models you'll have to telenet in to an exact folder to begin its browsing shortcut. otherwise it'll begin at the server volumes. otherwise i can't say for the pbo but the oplay got a firware upgrade for 1080p rvmb, the wdtv no support.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
16873 posts
125 upvotes
YVR
Does anyone here know if the PBO supports M2TS files with chapters?
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
16873 posts
125 upvotes
YVR
Jon Lai wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2010 3:47 am

I heard XBMC is a good to use for an HTPC. Any reason why you gave up on that route and want to go with a different hardware solution?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5722 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
OK guys silly question, I was looking at one of these and with the lack out high def audio what does it offer over my BD-390 blu-ray player?? I can already stream Utube, I can use the USB for a external drive, and can stream from my computer??

I'd like to get one, but is it work the money??

Thanks
Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7186 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
googoo wrote:
May 4th, 2010 3:06 pm
OK guys silly question, I was looking at one of these and with the lack out high def audio what does it offer over my BD-390 blu-ray player?? I can already stream Utube, I can use the USB for a external drive, and can stream from my computer??

I'd like to get one, but is it work the money??

Thanks
Brent
If your LG can reliably stream HD stuff, I'd rather use it instead as I do like to stream my ripped HD discs with the best possible quality for both audio and video.

These gadgets are a lot cheaper, probably plays more formats than your BD player.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
18 upvotes
I am returning an Asus Oplay! for a wdtv live. I loved the Oplay, but ran into two problems.

1-couldn't find a way to disable subtitles by default. I had to disable them each time I played a file. It was annoying

2-When switching from playing 5.1 mkv videos, to 2 channel stereo MP3's my receiver would not get the signal. I had to change from SPDIF RAW to SPDIF LPCM each time. Also annoying.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5722 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
These gadgets are a lot cheaper, probably plays more formats than your BD player.
Yeah, hadn't thought about about the huge amount of formats these boxes play, I'll have to look into that, though I don't tend to download much other than the RARE .mkv file.

Thanks
Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Apr 29, 2007
206 posts
1 upvote
sunjwd wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 am
Well I got the repeater and tried it. Same problem: PBO logo screen then link lost. Didn't work so too bad.
I updated my Box Office firmware from P02 to the P05 that came out this month after reports about fixed HDMI issues on the Patriot forums.

Lo and behold my Toshiba 37RV52RZ can now work with my Box Office
over HDMI, even up to 1080p. I was ok with using composite, butnow
very happy with the Box Office.
Apr 3, 2004
192 posts
If I have the following criteria (most important to least), what would be the best player for me, if any one fits them all?

Criteria:
  • Has both HDMI and composite output
  • Can stream video/audio from a NAS
  • Has both wireless and wired connections (preferably without add ons)
  • Can play content from an SD card
  • Nice UI
  • Quiet
What would you suggest given that list? (This is for the bedroom so a full htpc wouldn't work in that environment for me).

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2826 posts
86 upvotes
@dasurge.

I say WDTV Live. It doesn't have wireless connection nor SD card reader, but you can add one. It fulfills all your requirements except the two I mentioned.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7697 posts
320 upvotes
I've been using the Asus R1 now for about 3 months. FANTASIC little unit. I'm gonna pick up another one for the bedroom and just retire my HTPC (I game so little on it anyway).

Anyone use the 27 firmware for the R1 yet? I'm still on the previous and haven't had any issues. Picture looks spot-on from what I can see. 50inch 1080p plasma via HDMI. -sg
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
× < >