Paul & Sandy's Real BBQ in Etobicoke

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2014 2:27 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
ippon wrote: is it just me, or P&S doesn't sound like very smart people???
people WANT to give them money, and they just say no.

They're closed ALOT also.. closed Sunday AND Monday, my pet peeve.. Sunday is usually the day I'm hungover and don't feel like cooking
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
Boods wrote: You make a better pulled pork sandwich in a slow cooker than one smoked over hickory for hours? I'm going to go out on a limb and say..."um, no".
zonetbh wrote: Yeah, apparently I do. The pulled pork sandwhich I got at P&S was almost flavorless. I could taste the bun more then I could taste the pork..

The problem is the smoker and holding the meat. If you smoke in an electric cabinet style smoker part of the heat cooking the meat comes from the heat used to burn the wood. So wood or not, the meat is cooked in the same length of time. As the meat temperature increases, the meat takes on less smoke. So you only have a limited window to drive smoke into the meat before it will not take on any more smoke. You can see this in the depth of the smoke ring. To get the pork to pull, you need to hold the meat at 180 or higher for an hour or so. If the meat is pushed too high to fast, or the piece of meat is too big, you'll never get a lot of smoke.

Another way to have more smoke flavour is having a more dirty smoke. Charcoal produces a lot of dirty smoke as it burns and also kicks up some charcoal dust. This leaves a huge smoke ring and a bark that consists of a little charcoal dust. Not the healthiest, but the smoke flavour is there. Burning real wood for heat and stoking the fire causes a big amount of smoke when the wood is first placed on, but your food can taste like a campfire (which some people like).

Another way to get more smoke flavour is by mopping the meat and having the smoke flavour trapped in the bark. When you pull it and mix up the bark with the inner pieces, you'll get more smoke flavour.

So an electric smoker burning wood chunks that is being heated by the fuel source as well, I find has the least smoke flavour. Now the killer is holding it in a tray with some water in the bottom, covered with tinfoil. This seems to remove the smoke flavour, almost like you are washing it off. If it was served right from the smoker it would be way better, so depending on the TOD, you might experience different levels of smokiness.

The key to being able to do this is a big smoker with multiple pieces of meat being placed on at different times so that they will be ready sequentially. This requires consistent clientele and being consistently open so people can come by and get their fix. Not being open for a few days, or closing at random times will not bring a consistent solid customer base, hence the holding of the meats instead of "hot off the grill".
Dec 13, 2008
442 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
I stopped by at Paul & Sandy's recently...

I still think this place is great. I have only been a couple times because I don't live in the area, but I have been very satisfied both times. I should mention that both times I had either pulled pork or chicken, not the ribs.

In comparison, Stockyard's:
-has god awful seating
-pretentious policy of not serving diet beverages (hey diabetics, **** you, apparently)
-******** line-ups

Don't get me wrong...Stockyard's is still pretty good. And I don't know what Paul's new policy is with having a sharing fee, or limited takeout, because I didn't ask. But in my opinion, Paul and Sandy's is still the best BBQ place I have been to in the GTA. Good value for great food.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Wanted to have a yummy cheat meal and this was the perfect place.
Rode in tonight on the bike with my friend, and Paul and Sandy greeted us; both really nice people.

Seeing how there was a $6.50 fee for sharing (extremely stupid in my opinion), we got a meatloaf sandwich/cucumber tomato salad, and beef brisket sandwich/baked beans dish; came up to $18 with tax/tip.

Both excellent meat choices; great sauces and very juicy.
Sides were both decent, but nothing I'd go gaga for.

Excellent suggestions on the bite people. Thanks!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
Not a fan of that "sharing tax" at all.. uncalled for IMO but what can ya do..

I'd much rather they start allowing "platters" or "samplers" for take-out though
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
3542 posts
3235 upvotes
Etobicoke
Stopped in recently for my monthly fix. Noticed they have increased prices across the board. Nothing outrageous. Also replaced the chalkboard with an actual wall menu. Looks good.

You can now call ahead for take-out orders as well. Wished I knew that beforehand.
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6565 upvotes
Toronto
well, it looks like it is official. Their restaurant is closing due to not being able to renew their lease and coming with an agreement with the landlord.

Their last day will be Saturday, November 22nd, 2014.

http://www.paulandsandysrealbarbecue.com/

PLEASE READ

Dearest Customers & Friends,

Paul & Sandy's Real Barbecue Co. will be closing its doors at this location. Our last day of operation will be Saturday Nov. 22, 2014.

Our lease is expiring and we have been unable to reach a favourable extension or renewal term with the landlord.

We would like to sincerely thank all of our customers, friends, staff, suppliers and family for the past 5 years.

You allowed us to live a dream of opening a Ma & Pa Barbecue Restaurant that served great barbecue at family friendly prices.

We were thrilled to watch a new business start from nothing and grow into a vibrant busy restaurant, that on occasion would run out of food and would have lineups out the door. Our customers' kind words about Paul& Sandy's to their family and friends, allowed us to build a successful business without advertising, for which we are most grateful.

We will keep in touch on Facebook if and when we start a new adventure.

Thank you all again,

Paul and Sandy

Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!1!

Now the whole lease issue could be a smoke screen, but if true then what's wrong with that landlord. That location was the one shop which changed owners every few months.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
That really sucks - I don't get out there much anymore, but any time we were there, it was always quite busy
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!1!

Now the whole lease issue could be a smoke screen, but if true then what's wrong with that landlord. That location was the one shop which changed owners every few months.
the location is 'too good' for a small bbq place sadly.

it is a starbucks neighborhood and will probably become a condo
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17377 upvotes
Markham
Landlord probably had someone come in thru the back door and offered something better....not likely that the landlord would forgo a relatively stable tenant IMO.

Or Business/money was not good enough to continue on for the amount of effort required.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
3542 posts
3235 upvotes
Etobicoke
Devatasting news! I usually go once a month or sometimes more :) I've always had good experiences. Having a place likes this within walking distance from my house was awesome. Will be truly missed.
Penalty Box
Oct 26, 2007
897 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Gonna miss the pulled pork
[removed]
A guide for the everymans guide to investments
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes
Etobicoke just lost another great eatery.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
originalnutta wrote: Etobicoke just lost another great eatery.
Monday or Tuesday they'll probably say "Oh we just reached a last minute deal with the landlord..."
Aug 11, 2012
768 posts
298 upvotes
Sad to see it go, but Paul had become rather cranky over the years.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1440 posts
327 upvotes
^
As someone who has visited since they opened, I can assure you that Paul started out cranky. :)
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1954 upvotes
Elmira
Fanboy wrote: ^
As someone who has visited since they opened, I can assure you that Paul started out cranky. :)
beat me to it, i never saw that guy smile even one time

i stopped going when he started refusing to sell the "platters" for take out, a decision I still don't understand to this day.. guess it doesn't matter because lack of business wasn't the problem though
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Well, they did not renew the lease, and they had an auction for the furniture and all (back on Nov.25) but yet they seem interested in returning somehow, rather than just saying good bye.
At least, that's the message their FB page leaves behind...