• Apr 21st, 2017 1:14 pm
[OP]
May 5, 2007
569 posts
61 upvotes
North York

Paver Stone Backyard Basketball court

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of installing a 30x30 or 25x25 paver stone pad that can be used for enjoying the summer or playing basketball with my kids. I'm planning on doing this over several days so I was wondering if it's okay to leave the paver stones half done and then continue the next day ? Can I lay a few at a time or does it have to be done in one shot ?
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7120 posts
896 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Sure. No problem doing it over a number of days.
Jun 11, 2010
248 posts
142 upvotes
ottawa
afshaikh wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:22 pm
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of installing a 30x30 or 25x25 paver stone pad that can be used for enjoying the summer or playing basketball with my kids. I'm planning on doing this over several days so I was wondering if it's okay to leave the paver stones half done and then continue the next day ? Can I lay a few at a time or does it have to be done in one shot ?
I'd just cover with a tarp once you get to the sand stage otherwise you may be waiting a while for it to dry out in order to level the sand again without it clumping.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2704 posts
220 upvotes
When I did my paver walkway, i never covered it when it rained. I used HPB though and would recommend it. Project was done slowly due to the number of cuts required.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27311 posts
3648 upvotes
Ottawa
Wouldn't there be a danger of these stones not being perfectly level with each other and causing a tripping hazard?
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Dec 14, 2011
732 posts
198 upvotes
London
Pete_Coach wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 7:30 am
Wouldn't there be a danger of these stones not being perfectly level with each other and causing a tripping hazard?
And wouldn't your neighbour get highly annoyed having to listen to the thump thump thump of the ball while trying to enjoy a quiet glass of wine? We moved because of a person like this (pool pump).

It is a great way to spend time with the kids though. Just a consideration thing to maybe ponder before you go to all that work. I figured people just used the driveway since the surface is already complete.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7233 posts
365 upvotes
Drakestar wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 7:51 am
And wouldn't your neighbour get highly annoyed having to listen to the thump thump thump of the ball while trying to enjoy a quiet glass of wine? We moved because of a person like this (pool pump).

It is a great way to spend time with the kids though. Just a consideration thing to maybe ponder before you go to all that work. I figured people just used the driveway since the surface is already complete.
I put interlocking stones on walkway and enlarged driveway, so nearly double the size of the 4 cars driveway, which allows us to play basketball there freely, loving it. Only one concern to do it on driveway AT THIS MOMENT is that my kids are small. Thus, I can't just let them to play on driveway by themselves in case the ball bounces to the road ;)

On the other hand, I wish my backyard is like those mansion which allows to build tennis court, basketball court and swimming pool there :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7120 posts
896 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Pete_Coach wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 7:30 am
If you tamp the pavers after you lay them, they should be level. That said, it is a bit of a weird surface to play on.
[OP]
May 5, 2007
569 posts
61 upvotes
North York
The reason for using pavers is that I think it's a DIY project that I feel comfortable attempting. My initial idea was to do concrete or even asphalt but it's not in the budget right now.

Please my backyard is 350 feet deep, so this would be at the back and I'm the corner house so no issues with neighbor on either side.

I was leaning towards pavers because the area could also double as a nice patio and a nice to have basketball court for my kids and myself to practice some shots. Nothing crazy to play professional basketball.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27311 posts
3648 upvotes
Ottawa
don242 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 8:18 am

If you tamp the pavers after you lay them, they should be level. That said, it is a bit of a weird surface to play on.
Yeah, I have had pavers an the bigger they are, the more they are un-level. That plus the frost heave will make them lift at the edges and you have a problem.
afshaikh wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 8:43 am
The reason for using pavers is that I think it's a DIY project that I feel comfortable attempting. My initial idea was to do concrete or even asphalt but it's not in the budget right now.

Please my backyard is 350 feet deep, so this would be at the back and I'm the corner house so no issues with neighbor on either side.

I was leaning towards pavers because the area could also double as a nice patio and a nice to have basketball court for my kids and myself to practice some shots. Nothing crazy to play professional basketball.
I have never seen a patio of large pavers that stays as level and smooth as a concrete pad and if playng basketball on the surface and it is the slightest uneven, you get hurt.

I think pavers for a play area is a bad idea.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7120 posts
896 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Pete_Coach wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:41 pm
Yeah, I have had pavers an the bigger they are, the more they are un-level. That plus the frost heave will make them lift at the edges and you have a problem.

I have never seen a patio of large pavers that stays as level and smooth as a concrete pad and if playng basketball on the surface and it is the slightest uneven, you get hurt.

I may have mis read the first post thinking that 25x 25 was the size of the pad. Now I see maybe the OP was talking about the size of the pavers? If so, I agree, those won't stay level.

Better to use the regular low cost small pavers. Those shouldn't heave if you do the patio properly.
Oct 20, 2011
926 posts
284 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:41 pm

That deserves a "thanks" as it's good advice. Concrete pad is the way to go for longevity as well as safety.