Personal Finance

Pay Credit Card off wholly with Line of Credit?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2013 8:34 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1417 posts
257 upvotes
Montreal

Pay Credit Card off wholly with Line of Credit?

My line of credit is from CIBC. Unsecured, prime plus 3 for 15k
I'm trying to be creative with using it as I don't have much experience with it
Can I pay off a CC with it?
Does this then add another period to having to pay off the balance interest free?
Then at end of month I pay off the LOC fully?
This make sense?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2007
1985 posts
439 upvotes
Springfield
No grace period on LOC.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1417 posts
257 upvotes
Montreal
hopsoid wrote:
Nov 17th, 2013 11:26 pm
No grace period on LOC.
ah
no good then
thanks
Jul 28, 2012
961 posts
355 upvotes
Montreal
The only reason I'd pay a credit card with a line of credit is
- if I was carrying a balance on my credit card; AND
- if the interest rate on the credit card was higher than on the line of credit.

If you like to take advantage of grace periods, then you don't need to use your line of credit yet.
Jun 21, 2013
276 posts
50 upvotes
In the middle of now…
If you carry a balance on your CC at a discount rate (e.g. 0% for N months), the LOC may be a good tool to temporarily move the balance to when you need to reset the N-month period.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3994 posts
938 upvotes
Vancouver
That is a really good rate for such a small LoC. Keep it for a rainy day.

Interest is calculated daily and payments (monthly with interest due) are usually 3% of the balance or $60, whichever is greater.

A LoC from CIBC is essentially a glorified chequing account that can go (really) negative without penalty, only interest. You can use it to borrow, pay off a credit card or consolidate your debts, however, it doesn't sound like you need to do anything with it at the moment. You could deposit money to it and use it like a chequings account to reduce your monthly banking fees (if you pay a fee) and for the free cheques. You would never pay interest (or gain interest for that matter) unless you entered negative balance territory.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2007
2329 posts
204 upvotes
Waterloo
I always pay off my CC in full end of each month with LOC (assuming I need to if I don't got the cash). 6.25% interest rate sure a hell of a lot better than 21% or w/e it is. I just set up automatic withdrawal 2 days before cc due
Oct 15, 2009
412 posts
147 upvotes
Vladimir wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 8:56 pm
I always pay off my CC in full end of each month with LOC (assuming I need to if I don't got the cash). 6.25% interest rate sure a hell of a lot better than 21% or w/e it is. I just set up automatic withdrawal 2 days before cc due
I'm hoping that this is a stop gap to help pay off some debts. otherwise, if you're just loading up your LOC with credit card purchases, there may be problems in the future once it's close to maxed out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1417 posts
257 upvotes
Montreal
lhsonic wrote:
Nov 19th, 2013 8:49 pm
That is a really good rate for such a small LoC. Keep it for a rainy day.

Interest is calculated daily and payments (monthly with interest due) are usually 3% of the balance or $60, whichever is greater.

A LoC from CIBC is essentially a glorified chequing account that can go (really) negative without penalty, only interest. You can use it to borrow, pay off a credit card or consolidate your debts, however, it doesn't sound like you need to do anything with it at the moment. You could deposit money to it and use it like a chequings account to reduce your monthly banking fees (if you pay a fee) and for the free cheques. You would never pay interest (or gain interest for that matter) unless you entered negative balance territory.
Thank you!
I'm trying to be as careful with it as I can. I was "learned" years back with CC's and am now trying to build solid foundation for moving forward. The LOC was offered to me when chatting with rep about parent's account...just out of the blue said I was pre-aproved. Had never taken loan, or even owe any money, and that's why so curious to see if anyway to create extra revenue from this loc
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1417 posts
257 upvotes
Montreal
airodyssey wrote:
Nov 17th, 2013 11:32 pm

If you like to take advantage of grace periods, then you don't need to use your line of credit yet.
I love grace periods! Combining always keeping next month's balance due in my savings in advance, is good discipline for me, and keeps my budge in line. You also get all that time with interest and makes me feel secure. Using Cashback card also just adds to the stacking effect, gravy on top.
I was hoping that LOC could yet another level to the stack, but seems not.
Great feedback on this topic on using LOC's
I'm learning ++
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16987 posts
3848 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, be careful. LOCs are great if you use them effectively and conservatively, but too many people just see them as free cash. And even if you have a conservative approach right now, the loan-increase-creep can get you. If you slowly accumulated credit card debt in the past, it's just as easy to slowly accumulate LOC debt as well.
Apr 1, 2009
406 posts
12 upvotes
The interest on a LOC is calculated daily and placed on the account monthly. No grace period here.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1276 posts
155 upvotes
Almost better off getting the MBNA 0% for 12 months, paying the 150$ in 'fees' for one time balance transfer, and keep flipping it back and forth until its paid for.

Maximizes any interest in savings accounts, whilst eliminating the ~19% interest off a CC. I do this personally for school, or expenses [2k this summer to fix transmission in car] at odd times so that i don't lose out on my interest in my accounts. I have the cash available to pay for, but rather spend 20$ once for a BT on a 2000$ CC, and take the 10 months to pay it off or whatever, while I keep building my savings/chequing with maximizing what I have in the account.

I'm a fan of it, as you can tell, since its one of those rare things that helps you use the banks money to pay off the bank with little surcharges and effort on your part.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1417 posts
257 upvotes
Montreal
mmagda wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 4:20 pm
Almost better off getting the MBNA 0% for 12 months, paying the 150$ in 'fees' for one time balance transfer, and keep flipping it back and forth until its paid for.

Maximizes any interest in savings accounts, whilst eliminating the ~19% interest off a CC. I do this personally for school, or expenses [2k this summer to fix transmission in car] at odd times so that i don't lose out on my interest in my accounts. I have the cash available to pay for, but rather spend 20$ once for a BT on a 2000$ CC, and take the 10 months to pay it off or whatever, while I keep building my savings/chequing with maximizing what I have in the account.

I'm a fan of it, as you can tell, since its one of those rare things that helps you use the banks money to pay off the bank with little surcharges and effort on your part.
I didn't understand much about bt' ing till a few months ago and much reading of RFD
I've become a fan of it as well