Shopping Discussion

Pay Pal Refund (addendum TigerDirect Purchase)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2013 5:46 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 20, 2013
263 posts
20 upvotes

Pay Pal Refund (addendum TigerDirect Purchase)

Sigh... I ordered something from their website thinking it would escape the dreaded US / Canada surcharge. The summary page says the item is / will be shipped out of Illinois and it is using UPS Worldship CA.

Any experience from using this shipping method and not get dinged? The item is rather heavy, a 39" TV/monitor. est. 60lbs? and it was only $30.
10 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13199 posts
5606 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TigerDirect and Newegg both ship a lot of their stuff from the US. (So does Dell et al.) However they've entered into agreements with Canada Customs to collect HST (and duties if applicable) at point of sale so that these shipments enter Canada without the need for further brokerage "services" by UPS. If you were charged HST at checkout there should be no further charges when the UPS guy arrives at your door.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6079 posts
743 upvotes
A few years ago I bought a phone from them. It was listed as "in stock", yeah, in stock in the States as it turned out. Anyway it was deep in the US somewhere so it got shipped from there to their warehouse somewhere around Chicago from what I remember. The w/b# that they gave me became worthless at that point because it got reshipped with someone else and a new number so there was no way of tracking it. It did eventually arrive at my door and there was no additional duty or taxes on it even though it had come from the US - that had all been taken care of. I was however annoyed that it took almost 2 weeks to get to me - so much for the misleading "in stock". I had no complaints otherwise, just the long and uncertain delivery time. I have bought nothing from Tiger since then. For around the same price there are other options.
[OP]
Sep 20, 2013
263 posts
20 upvotes
Thanks @bylo @woof

I ordered the Seiki 39" monitor which is pretty heavy. Only lists 30lbs but the box is massive so $30 for shipping seemed a bit too good to be true.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13199 posts
5606 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TheManWithoutAName wrote:
Nov 9th, 2013 1:25 pm
Only lists 30lbs but the box is massive so $30 for shipping seemed a bit too good to be true.
The cost of "shipping" with most online vendors is misleading.

Some use it as a marketing tool to attract business. Do you think that when Dell sells you a heavy UPS with "free" shipping that they don't pay UPS (or whoever) for shipping? Of course they do.

Others use it to pad their profit while advertising low prices. Do you think that when Newegg sells you an SD card for $5 but charges you $10 for "shipping" they really pay Canada Post $10 to mail it to you in an envelope?

Don't worry. Unless it's a pricing error, TigerDirect knows what they're doing. They're going to profit from your purchase no matter how much or how little they charged you for shipping.

I've bought lots of stuff from TD, NE, Dell, APS, LL Bean, etc. that was shipped from the US. I've always been charged HST at checkout. I've never been charged any additional amount at the door.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Sep 20, 2013
263 posts
20 upvotes
OK, just to add to this. I wasn't feeling good about my purchase and called to cancel my order.

I have only cancelled an order using Paypal one other time and what happened was the funds returned to me was kept in Paypal as credit, as it were. I do not actively keep funds in my Paypal account and use my CC to make purchases, big and small. Is there a process where I can get Paypal to reimburse the funds back to my CC Company?

In hindsight it was stupid to use my Paypal to send money. Sigh.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2006
3081 posts
14 upvotes
If you paid with credit card through paypal, it'll go back onto your credit card.
[OP]
Sep 20, 2013
263 posts
20 upvotes
RLP06 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2013 7:46 pm
If you paid with credit card through paypal, it'll go back onto your credit card.
If memory serves, that was not the case some years ago when I cancelled an order. It was just funds in my PP account. I do not have a bank account attached to PP. I've always used my CC.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16279 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent
The issue is not whether a refund is forthcoming but rather the method of reimbursement.

I have said any a times that pal is a scam anyone willingly use it deserve what they get.