Credit Cards

Paytm: Pay House Bills with any MC, no referrals in thread, no pay CC with CC - Officially USELESS?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2022 11:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1323 posts
155 upvotes
Ajax
How legit is this compared to Plastic?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1323 posts
155 upvotes
Ajax
They are probably offering low fees now to show good faith then when people try to pay massive bills they will take your money and bounce. That will more than pay for all those little fees they've been covering
Jan 8, 2017
168 posts
93 upvotes
Djb990 wrote: I put a payment through on Friday for tuition fees. No charge (not even $0.50). Still pending; maybe it will go through on Monday? Will update when the payment completes and when the transaction appears on my statement to confirm there is currently no fee for tuition.
Confirming it went through. No fee.

I created another payment just now and it's still $0 convenience fee.
Dec 9, 2012
146 posts
61 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
moonsea wrote: Paytm is an Indian company but the biggest shareholder is Alibaba, the largest Chinese ecommerce company (holder of Aliexpress etc...)
Alipay is backed by an insurance company in China, which is secured in China.

Paytm doesn't have any secure backup from Canada. Once your personal information is entered inot the app, you can't delete it (e.g. CC info and personal info). This is a huge red flag.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1323 posts
155 upvotes
Ajax
bcbcbc wrote: Alipay is backed by an insurance company in China, which is secured in China.

Paytm doesn't have any secure backup from Canada. Once your personal information is entered inot the app, you can't delete it (e.g. CC info and personal info). This is a huge red flag.
Seriously? That's pretty scary stuff.
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
There is no App for this PayTm Canada for Windows Phone operating system .... Some Paytm WAS found in the store .. but it's NOT Paytm Canada app ... just Paytm app

You think one can successfully use this APP (and pay their bills with credit card) through something like BlueStacks App Player emulator (on computer)?
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
I installed the App on Android emulator ... and it seems to be working ... never tried to physically pay any bills yet ... just played with it ...

It looks like Canadian Tire bill payment system more or less ... same payee names ... I guess the difference is -- instead of paying with Canadian Tire MasterCard, here can pay with an alternative one... Right?

Anyhow ... when next month (I just paid this month's one) I have to pay my Hydro bill .. I can try it there ... and if it works, I guess will get 1.75% cash back from Rogers MC ... (instead of 0.8% from Canadian Tire MC) ... almost full percentage more (that Canadian Tire MC) :)

How safe that App by the way ... I see India inside the App?

And is it free to use? ( I read on previous pages some .50 cents charge ... that was reversed and given back ... or something like that? )

Cuz if it ain't free ... then on a smaller bills it might not be worth it ... - example: $50 bill ( approx. 1% cash back (the mentioned difference between Canadian Tire MC and Rogers MC) = .50 cents ... but if it's "eaten" by some 50 cents fee ... then really not worth it kinda ... lol

Different story on larger bills ... if 50 cents charge remains the same ...

But if 50 cents is given back ... and basically the service is FREE (while your Credit Card is not hacked / stolen, lol) would be really good service :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6905 posts
5592 upvotes
bcbcbc wrote: Alipay is backed by an insurance company in China, which is secured in China.

That's what I said earlier in the thread. You are essentially selling your personal information for what? $100?

Some people are paying $100 hydro bill to get $2.

Not worth it.
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: It was like that on launch. Their TOS indicate a fixed $0.50 fee.
So if it's a fixed .50 cents fee ... why do they waive it, seemingly (as indicated / shown on previous pages ... In user's post)?

p.s.

By the way ... if this is safe to use ... and will work using Android emulator on computer (as I am using Windows Phone operating system on my cell phone) ... -- I only got 2 bills to pay using this service ... - Hydro (monthly bill) and City Property Tax (1 yearly bill due June 30th I think) .... as all my other bills are covered via Tangerine pre-authorized bill payment ... with 2% cash back
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
quahog wrote: I did a few tests to see what the fees are:
  • Regular bills (gas, hydro): still free
  • Property taxes: 2% fee
  • Investment accounts: 3% fee
I see ... Thanks for your info ....

If so .... and if it will remain that way ... then the only bill worth of paying here would be my Hydro bill ....

Cuz I am not paying 2% fee for property taxes ... to make 1.75% cash back from the amount paid ... haha ... I'd be better off using Canadian Tire MC (via Canadian Tire bill payment system) ... and make 0.8% cash back, without incurring any fee :)
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
quahog wrote: I did a few tests to see what the fees are:
  • Regular bills (gas, hydro): still free
  • Property taxes: 2% fee
  • Investment accounts: 3% fee
Those tests were the actual payments, I assume ... or there was some other way to test (without actually making a payment)? :)
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
4560 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
So far I have paid:

$1500 Property Tax
$1000 Enbridge Gas
$700 Toronto Water
$1000 Toronto Hydro

All with no fees.

What else can I perpetual for 2% with my BMO WE MC?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26762 posts
9330 upvotes
where I belong
cessnabmw wrote: So far I have paid:

$1500 Property Tax
$1000 Enbridge Gas
$700 Toronto Water
$1000 Toronto Hydro

All with no fees.

That's $4200 already, wow
You could've signed up some AMEX cards and got more in return :) assuming you don't have them YET
e.g. AMEX Biz Gold is 40K after $5K, FYF; or AMEX Gold is 25K after $1500, FYF. so your return is either 25K or 40K (value $250-$800)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Jan 28, 2004
118 posts
54 upvotes
Darkman wrote: Those tests were the actual payments, I assume ... or there was some other way to test (without actually making a payment)? :)
They will show you the charge right before you submit the payment.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
Darkman wrote: So if it's a fixed .50 cents fee ... why do they waive it, seemingly (as indicated / shown on previous pages ... In user's post)?

p.s.

By the way ... if this is safe to use ... and will work using Android emulator on computer (as I am using Windows Phone operating system on my cell phone) ... -- I only got 2 bills to pay using this service ... - Hydro (monthly bill) and City Property Tax (1 yearly bill due June 30th I think) .... as all my other bills are covered via Tangerine pre-authorized bill payment ... with 2% cash back
Are you sure your payments thru Paytm are counted as recurring payment? Since You are not paying to the utilities directly, it may not count as recurring payments.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote: So far I have paid:

$1500 Property Tax
$1000 Enbridge Gas
$700 Toronto Water
$1000 Toronto Hydro

All with no fees.

Are these monthly bills? If the property tax amt is for the whole year, then it is very low.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1323 posts
155 upvotes
Ajax
ml88888888 wrote: Are these monthly bills? If the property tax amt is for the whole year, then it is very low.
His property tax is probably an instalment... then again, he's in toronto
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1323 posts
155 upvotes
Ajax
Is anyone else the least bit worried about making payments through PayTM and their money disappearing?
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: Are you sure your payments thru Paytm are counted as recurring payment? Since You are not paying to the utilities directly, it may not count as recurring payments.
Didn't pay anything else ... at Paytm ........

Bill payments I mentioned ... at 2% -- are at Tangerine (as it was mentioned).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)