Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1436 posts
64 upvotes
Calgary

Pay-as-you-go: Rogers vs Fido

I'm a Fido user right now, but I saw a really good deal on a rogers pay-go phone. Which should I go with? which has better rates and service? I know they share the same network now, but is there a difference I should be aware of? Is it possible to keep my number if i switch from fido to rogers?
Share:
28 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
8902 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
i do beleive that FIDO is cheaper and better when it comes to pay-go ... atlho i was also told that it cost more to roam on rogers if u are with FIDO... vice versa its free when u roam FIDO on a rogers pay-go

best ppl to ask are the geeks over at HowardForums
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
3603 posts
267 upvotes
Scarborough
Actually, i've seen the best deal on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink]. I searched for "rogers sim", for 25$ you get a sim card 100$ worth of cred9t, and he's gonna activate it for you too saving you the extra 30 or 40 bucks. The credit also lasts for 365 days. I was thinking about buying 10 of those and be set for a while.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
6754 posts
754 upvotes
Traian2003 wrote:Actually, i've seen the best deal on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink]. I searched for "rogers sim", for 25$ you get a sim card 100$ worth of cred9t, and he's gonna activate it for you too saving you the extra 30 or 40 bucks. The credit also lasts for 365 days. I was thinking about buying 10 of those and be set for a while.
Each card [airtime card of $100] is attached to a new SIM, so you'll be changing your # 10 times though, right? You're not buying all 10 at once are you? if you buy all 10, they will all expire in 365 days total.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
3603 posts
267 upvotes
Scarborough
jory29 wrote:Each card [airtime card of $100] is attached to a new SIM, so you'll be changing your # 10 times though, right? You're not buying all 10 at once are you? if you buy all 10, they will all expire in 365 days total.
yeah i figured, but depends what you need it for. i would ask him if he could activate it on call.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
I think Virgin is the cheapest...
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
18007 posts
2299 upvotes
Waterloo
Yeah, you have to live with a new # each time

I got a $100 activaction for $15 (got my own SIM card, free), so pretty happy. I'd suggest Rogers Prepaid too
Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan/AMEX MR <= AMEX Platinum 75K, Business Gold 40K FYF, Gold 25K FYF, SPG 20K $120
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
Which one the cheapest depends on you usage pattern.

If you are night/wkend only Rogers charges only 5 cents per minute but you need to buy $20 cards. If you want to use the $10 card that lasts 30 days Fido is cheaper at 30 cents per minute.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1283 posts
60 upvotes
Fido's $30 refill is 15c per min and lasts 60 days. It usually lasts 30 days but the 60 day thing is a "promotion" that's been running for almost a year now. This is a really good deal for light-medium use.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
22 upvotes
Pre paid has always seemed like a rip off to me. I mean the minutes do acculmulate but without per second billing then they could away quickly. I always found when I was younger than my Fido minutes would disappear and I didn't even talk that much. I've been on a plan ever since I hit my late teens and it works better. I'd say FIDO pre paid would be better than Rogers just because Rogers seems to have everything for more money than Fido. I'd say ask HOFOers but they can be pricks since they think they're mobile gods or something.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1436 posts
64 upvotes
Calgary
Anessa wrote:Pre paid has always seemed like a rip off to me. I mean the minutes do acculmulate but without per second billing then they could away quickly. I always found when I was younger than my Fido minutes would disappear and I didn't even talk that much. I've been on a plan ever since I hit my late teens and it works better. I'd say FIDO pre paid would be better than Rogers just because Rogers seems to have everything for more money than Fido. I'd say ask HOFOers but they can be pricks since they think they're mobile gods or something.
Lol, i asked HOFO and it pretty much turned into a brag-fest about the nokia 8801. - "i bought the 8801 with a aksdjjlasdlf", "well i got it for this much $$", "well i bought it from the middle east for this much", "well mine's better than urs..", "well my dad can beat up ur dad"......... and so forth..
I'm not a fan of that forum. lol
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
2 upvotes
Nuprapture wrote:Lol, i asked HOFO and it pretty much turned into a brag-fest about the nokia 8801. - "i bought the 8801 with a aksdjjlasdlf", "well i got it for this much $$", "well i bought it from the middle east for this much", "well mine's better than urs..", "well my dad can beat up ur dad"......... and so forth..
I'm not a fan of that forum. lol
lol, that's the funniest post i've seen in awhile :razz:
Mar 25, 2003
778 posts
1 upvote
Binbrook
My in-laws are looking to get a Pay-Go phone for use in the car basically. They'll be using it more on the weekends and evenings. Who should they go with (Rogers, Bell, Fido, Virgin, PC Mobile, Telus)?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
3067 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I'd go with Virgin. I did, and am really happy with the results (and no, I'm not just saying that. :)

$0.25 for the first 5 minutes per day
$0.15 for subsequent minutes that day

Why do I like it so much? They use the Bell network, which is better than Fido's. When you fill up your phone, your minutes expire after FOUR MONTHS. You can easily check the balance of your account from the web. They have auto-top up, so that if you say that your minimum is $5, once your funds go below this, they'll put some more money on it from your credit card.

The only downside I see is that they round up for minutes.. it's not figured out by the second. Not sure if the other companies do that too. Someone else might want to shed light on this for another company.

I am saving a ton of money using Virgin. I used to be on a monthly plan on Fido... can't believe how much money I wasted. :mad:

Hope this helps,

chococrazy :)
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3415 posts
29 upvotes
Coquitlam
I still like Fido/Rogers GSM network better than CDMA. A CDMA phone isnt as good as a GSM quad band phone where you can just plug in sim card and use it all around the world.

BTW: Robot Andrea from Fido refill sucks! She told me to say the 12 digit pin or type it in the keypad. I typed it in the keypad and the stupid robot said: I'm sorry, I didn't get that. How could the robot not get that if I typed it on the keypad. People with poor english will have a hard time refilling in their bugged system on a voucher.

I would go for the Fido if you are going to use it for a long period of time.

But the Rogers SIM card I saw on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] is really attractive too.
× < >