Credit Cards

Pay Your Bills Online Using CANADIAN TIRE MASTER CARD & Earn Cash Back/CT $$$ !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2024 12:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1545 upvotes
Brampton

Pay Your Bills Online Using CANADIAN TIRE MASTER CARD & Earn Cash Back/CT $$$ !!!

I thought I would share this info in case others are not aware (I just found out) that you can pay your bills online using Canadian Tire Master Card & still be able to earn Cash Back or CT $$$ on the card just like a purchase :!: There is no fee to do this, I called & confirmed. Plus you don't have to pay right away as you do with your bank bill payments, the payment is due when your statement comes out :cheesygri

YMMV but so far I am able to pay all my usual bills like Property Taxes, Enbridge Gas, Hydro One, Water/Sewer Bill, etc. & most importantly MBNA MC!
This will add up to a lot of CT $$$ especially from property taxes & MBNA MC :twisted:
****EDIT March 3, 2015: MBNA & ALL other Credit Card bill payments NO longer work on this card****

Thanks a_1_a for pointing it out :D

Here is the link to Can. Tire MC bill payments https://www.ctfspayments.com/CTFS_Consu ... BillPay.do

List is Updated Regularly

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... aNlE#gid=0

Old List:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... EX2c#gid=0

UPDATE: Some Fortis BC customers have attempted to pay their bills using "Fortis BC" as the payee and it hasn't worked,
because for whatever reason it requires an 11-digit number whereas Fortis account numbers have only 6 or 7 digits.
However, paying their Fortis bills using "Terasen Gas" as the payee has worked (Fortis acquired Terasen back in 2007)

Added this new info March 4, 2015
- Original link to post http://forums.redflagdeals.com/pay-your ... st21794509

I've posted the following before in the past, and have updated it now with the 0.8% rebate on the Options card (no longer 1%). It's info for people who are thinking of applying for a card, but not sure if they should get the Options vs Cash Advantage.

1. The no-fee CT MC credit cards are: Options, Cash Advantage (sorry, not familiar with the Gas Advantage).

2. Use the card to pay bills which you cannot otherwise charge to other higher-earning credit cards (tuition, property taxes, some utilities like gas, water, electricity).

3a. For the Cash Advantage MC, you get a credit to the card account on anniversary date, and earns:
0.25% on first $1500 = $3.75 *
0.50% on next $1500 = $7.50 *
1% on amounts $3K - $24K
1.5% on amounts above $24K
(earn double these rates at CT or Marks WW stores)

3b. For the Options MC, it's 0.8% (4% at CT or Marks WW stores) in CT money, and not tiered like above for Cash Advantage, so this is a better card for you if you shop at Cdn Tire regularly and don't anticipate on spending more than $9,500* annually.

*Example with $9500 non-CT annual spending:
Options -> $9,500 x 0.8% = $76
CashAdv -> (First $3000 tiered = $11.25) + (Next 6,500 x 1% = $65) = $9500 at $76.25

4. If you plan to shop a lot at Canadian Tire, then the Options Card is probably a better choice, vs the Cash Advantage.

5. You need to see if your property taxes, utilities, university tuition, etc., is in the payees list (see link to Google doc in the OP), and whether or not you can pay with a different higher earning credit card, WITHOUT surcharges tacked on top.

6.Ottawa property taxes are NOT included. Toronto, Markham, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Windsor, London, Niagara Falls, Montreal and Halifax ARE.
There are some nearby cities/towns in the GTA which ARE listed. See this post:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/pay-your ... st18463512

Update Jan. 2018

See all the other municipal property tax payees that I listed here in an older post from couple of years ago (by: bizee-bee) OP

pay-your-bills-online-using-canadian-ti ... #p18463512
Last edited by patrob on Mar 5th, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"

For those browsing on their phones, here are the direct links to apply for the Cash Advantage or the Gas Advantage (legacy) MasterCard's online.

Triangle Rewards and Triangle credit cards payouts;

Triangle vs Cash Advantage bill pay payout calculator by [@Kiraly]: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Credit to Bizee-Bee for below
If you want to see a current comparison of the basic Triangle, WE Triangle and Cash Advantage cards, then see this post here: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/viewtop ... p=33504519
(Bee here. Fixed link above and added pic below)

The standard reward rate for Triangle rewards is 0.4%.
This is the rate you would receive in CT dollars if you were to make a purchase at a CT store and pay with cash or non-CTFS credit card, and show your Triangle rewards card.

Triangle credit card (the basic one) gives you 10x the base rewards for purchases in CT stores, which equates to 4%, and 2x the base rate for non-CT family stores purchases, which equates to 0.8%.

Triangle World and World Elite get 10x the base reward rate (4%) for CT family store purchases, and 2.5x the base reward rate for non-CT family stores purchases, which is 1% return.

The non-CT store rate also applies to bill payments.

Snapshot of supported payees (use Ctrl-F to search): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... _T/pubhtml
Includes snapshots on:
  • ● October 17, 2022
  • ● May 16, 2023
  • ● September 04, 2023
  • ● January 03, 2024
10111 replies
Aug 16, 2004
365 posts
85 upvotes
I understand your desire to share a great deal on RFD, but in this case I think it's more likely an oversight by the marketing folks at CT. As more and more people hear about this loophole and start taking advantage of it, they will realize their mistake and will slam the door shut; probably by taking away the rewards for bill payments, but perhaps by taking away bill payments altogether. Or perhaps somebody working for CTFS will see this thread and bring it to their manager's attention. The feature could be gone in less than a month!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1680 posts
877 upvotes
Kanada
Are you sure these bill payments count as purchases (interest free grace period) instead of cash advance or balance transfer ?
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11079 posts
3498 upvotes
Vancouver
bjserink wrote: I understand your desire to share a great deal on RFD, but in this case I think it's more likely an oversight by the marketing folks at CT. As more and more people hear about this loophole and start taking advantage of it, they will realize their mistake and will slam the door shut; probably by taking away the rewards for bill payments, but perhaps by taking away bill payments altogether. Or perhaps somebody working for CTFS will see this thread and bring it to their manager's attention. The feature could be gone in less than a month!

I feel the same way. But on the other hand I never would've found out about this if a_1_a hadn't posted about it so it seems a little hypocritical to advocate closing threads. I guess I'll stay neutral on this. :|
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1545 upvotes
Brampton
SnoopDop wrote: Are you sure these bill payments count as purchases (interest free grace period) instead of cash advance or balance transfer ?

I did call them to confirm they would count as purchases not balance transfers & cust. service rep. confirmed there are no extra fees!
I was also skeptical since I did not realize you can do that & I had my CT MC for a long time & did not know about this service :facepalm:

https://www.ctfs.com/Products/CreditCar ... lPayments/
1791 posts
184 upvotes
Ottawa
what are the rewards? just CT money?
Dec 20, 2006
526 posts
48 upvotes
With how fast Canadian Tire changes their cards - This "deal" will be gone in a few months now.

RFD effect in 1, 2, 3...
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
2300 posts
947 upvotes
pace wrote: what are the rewards? just CT money?

I guess you can use the CT money to buy gas gift cards, then its basically cash. Very tempted to get a CT card now....How long has this "deal" been around? I wonder if they won't just plug the loophole.
Dec 20, 2006
526 posts
48 upvotes
bjserink wrote: I understand your desire to share a great deal on RFD, but in this case I think it's more likely an oversight by the marketing folks at CT. As more and more people hear about this loophole and start taking advantage of it, they will realize their mistake and will slam the door shut; probably by taking away the rewards for bill payments, but perhaps by taking away bill payments altogether. Or perhaps somebody working for CTFS will see this thread and bring it to their manager's attention. The feature could be gone in less than a month!

Ya, I agree, it's sad that this will now come to an end :(
Aug 16, 2004
365 posts
85 upvotes

The Options card gives you CT money, but a_1_a did say that you can use the # from a Cash Advantage Mastercard even though that card doesn't appear in the drop-down. I'm amused that a_1_a deleted his/her post in the other thread (in an effort to keep this quiet), but since hsedin had already quoted it, you can still see what it says.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1545 upvotes
Brampton

Yes but that's still $ ;)
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1545 upvotes
Brampton
bjserink wrote: I'm amused that a_1_a deleted his/her post in the other thread (in an effort to keep this quiet), but since hsedin had already quoted it, you can still see what it says.
+1

Once it's out it's hard to keep it quiet ;) :D
1425 posts
182 upvotes
patrob wrote: +1

Once it's out it's hard to keep it quiet ;) :D

If we delete all the posts about this deal, then it won't spread any more.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1800 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
THanks, but i'll stick to paying bills with my Scene Visa. Much more worth it.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1545 upvotes
Brampton
sandy_beach wrote: THanks, but i'll stick to paying bills with my Scene Visa. Much more worth it.

Thanks but I am not that much into movies :) so it would not work that well for me. Glad it's working for you.
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1545 upvotes
Brampton
a_1_a wrote: If we delete all the posts about this deal, then it won't spread any more.

They obviously want you to use this feature otherwise they would not advertise it on their site or make it available to all their cardholders!
I am sure they are still making $ somehow ;)
Jun 6, 2009
981 posts
607 upvotes
sandy_beach wrote: THanks, but i'll stick to paying bills with my Scene Visa. Much more worth it.

The point is to pay your Scene Visa with this feature to double dip the rewards.

I think you people are exaggerating the "RFD effect". So far, there's a little over 500 views of this tread. What does that represent? 0.1% of CT's customers?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6733 posts
3994 upvotes
Toronto
epiphano wrote: The point is to pay your Scene Visa with this feature to double dip the rewards.

I think you people are exaggerating the "RFD effect". So far, there's a little over 500 views of this tread. What does that represent? 0.1% of CT's customers?

How many credit cards out there give you rewards for paying other credit cards? Could you just string them in one long payment line? Or heck, just get a Scene visa and a CT mastercard and just pay the max amount from one to the other, over and over? Surely that won't work...
Jun 6, 2009
981 posts
607 upvotes
Manatus wrote: How many credit cards out there give you rewards for paying other credit cards? Could you just string them in one long payment line? Or heck, just get a Scene visa and a CT mastercard and just pay the max amount from one to the other, over and over? Surely that won't work...

This is the only one, as far as I know. And surprisingly enough, it does work apparently.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)