Credit Cards

Pay Your Bills Online Using CANADIAN TIRE MASTER CARD & Earn Cash Back/CT $$$ !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2024 12:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15585 posts
7024 upvotes
Gatineau
savemoresaveoften wrote: Just noticed via the triangle app that Crappy Tire just cut my credit limit by half without giving me the heads up.
You may want to check your limit so no nasty surprise when you try to put a charge to it and is denied.
I noticed the same thing on my Triange WE MC last week (Went from $18K limit to $10K limit).

Called them, and they mentioned that it was adjusted on April 28th to reduce their credit exposure. But they happily put it back to $18K immediately upon my request. Just call them, I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

djino
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2999 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
djino wrote: I noticed the same thing on my Triange WE MC last week (Went from $18K limit to $10K limit).

Called them, and they mentioned that it was adjusted on April 28th to reduce their credit exposure. But they happily put it back to $18K immediately upon my request. Just call them, I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

djino
I had my limit decreased without warning as well. Called them and they said it was due to inactivity. Requested the old limit back and they said they would need a credit check. I guess reverting to the old limit must depend on many factors.

In the end they did the credit check and my limit was reinstated.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3917 posts
2904 upvotes
Markham
djino wrote: I noticed the same thing on my Triange WE MC last week (Went from $18K limit to $10K limit).

djino
They drop mine to similar level like yours as well. Wont bother calling them as I only use the card for either CanTire / SC purchase or paying property tax and utility bills. Dont see myself topping $10k any month anyway.

Just annoyed that they dropped the limit without even giving a courtesy heads up.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11614 posts
13934 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
savemoresaveoften wrote: Just annoyed that they dropped the limit without even giving a courtesy heads up.
No other lender gives an advance heads up, and I don’t see any reason why they should.
If your limit is being reduced, it’s either because you’re not using a big enough chunk of the limit to deem it necessary to have that limit, or your risk to the lender has increased to the point that you’re making them nervous enough to reduce the limit.
So if the former was your case, a heads up does absolutely nothing for you.
If the latter was your case, or anyone else’s, giving you a heads up would allow you to go max out the card in hopes that they won’t or can’t decrease the limit.
So again, an advance heads up makes no sense.
When my daughters limit was reduced both times, there was a message on her statement of such, along with the option of calling in to have the limit reinstated, so you should see that too.
Not sure if she also received a letter.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15585 posts
7024 upvotes
Gatineau
Britex wrote: I had my limit decreased without warning as well. Called them and they said it was due to inactivity. Requested the old limit back and they said they would need a credit check. I guess reverting to the old limit must depend on many factors.

In the end they did the credit check and my limit was reinstated.
Interesting. They didn't need to do any credit check on me, they simply put it back immediately. The call took like 2-3 minutes total and I confirmed the limit online just before hanging up.

I typically spend about $500/month on it, so I always have activity.

djino
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15585 posts
7024 upvotes
Gatineau
savemoresaveoften wrote: They drop mine to similar level like yours as well. Wont bother calling them as I only use the card for either CanTire / SC purchase or paying property tax and utility bills. Dont see myself topping $10k any month anyway.

Just annoyed that they dropped the limit without even giving a courtesy heads up.
Yeah I hear you, I was kinda annoyed that I didn't get any notice myself. I called CT to get it reinstated mostly to keep my overall credit utilization low. $18K limit looks better than $10K :)

djino
Oct 20, 2019
9 posts
Is anyone currently able to pay their BelairDirect Car or Home Insurance monthly bill through their Canadian Tire Mastercard?
Jan 21, 2007
570 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
If you use this card to pay bills, and then finance instore (for purchases over $150 at 0%), how do they calculate the monthly payment? Will the 0% purchases accrue interest or do you need to pay the regular payments/charges in full + minimum payment on the 0% portion?
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11614 posts
13934 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
lovethesales wrote: If you use this card to pay bills, and then finance instore (for purchases over $150 at 0%), how do they calculate the monthly payment? Will the 0% purchases accrue interest or do you need to pay the regular payments/charges in full + minimum payment on the 0% portion?
Each month, a portion of the 0% financed items become part of your minimum payment due for the billing cycle.
You can use the card for every day purchases, while still having financed purchases on it, without accruing interest.
The thing you don’t want to do, is utilize a balance transfer on the card, and mix that with every day purchases.
Nov 22, 2012
811 posts
939 upvotes
NS
lovethesales wrote: If you use this card to pay bills, and then finance instore (for purchases over $150 at 0%), how do they calculate the monthly payment? Will the 0% purchases accrue interest or do you need to pay the regular payments/charges in full + minimum payment on the 0% portion?
Yes to your last question. The 0% equal payment plan will not incur any interest if you pay the min payment amount specified on your statement. If you have other purchases (such as bill payments), you would have to pay the total balance due to avoid interest. Your statement will clearly specify this information.
Jan 21, 2007
570 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
coolintheshade wrote: Each month, a portion of the 0% financed items become part of your minimum payment due for the billing cycle.
You can use the card for every day purchases, while still having financed purchases on it, without accruing interest.
The thing you don’t want to do, is utilize a balance transfer on the card, and mix that with every day purchases.
jevonb wrote: Yes to your last question. The 0% equal payment plan will not incur any interest if you pay the min payment amount specified on your statement. If you have other purchases (such as bill payments), you would have to pay the total balance due to avoid interest. Your statement will clearly specify this information.
Thank you both!
Nov 27, 2011
363 posts
264 upvotes
Canadia
coolintheshade wrote: Each month, a portion of the 0% financed items become part of your minimum payment duefor the billing cycle.
I'm assuming for cfts:
Minimum Payment = smallest amount you've to pay to keep account in good standing
Statement Balance = smallest amount you've to pay by due date to avoid any interests

So won't paying just the minimum payment trigger interest on the non-financed portion of the card balance? Or do you mean the 0% financed items become part of the statement balance?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3917 posts
2904 upvotes
Markham
TENSEVEN wrote: I'm assuming for cfts:
Minimum Payment = smallest amount you've to pay to keep account in good standing
Statement Balance = smallest amount you've to pay by due date to avoid any interests

So won't paying just the minimum payment trigger interest on the non-financed portion of the card balance? Or do you mean the 0% financed items become part of the statement balance?
By very careful with "min payment", while it keeps your account in good standing and you can continue to use the card, EVERY new charge you put on the card will incur INTEREST from the day it happens up until the next payment date. That is the case with MOST if not all credit card these days.
Most thought you only incur interest on the outstanding balance from previous month which is not true. Carrying a balance effectively trigger the "no grace period" clause which is what shields you from paying interest as long as the balance is paid in full each month.
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11614 posts
13934 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
TENSEVEN wrote: I'm assuming for cfts:

CTFS statements have 2 payment due lines.

Minimum Due = the least amount you can pay to stay current. This amount includes all financed products monthly amounts, plus $10 minimum against your regular purchases, if you have any.

Balance Due = all financed monthly amounts, plus all regular purchases, if you have any.
This is the amount that needs to be paid to avoid paying interest for the month.

Statement balance will always be different, because this is the entire amount owed on the account, including all remaining amounts of financed purchases.

So you’re correct, in that you don’t want to pay the minimum balance due, you want to pay the balance due to avoid interest.
Jan 21, 2007
570 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if you apply in store if you can get it on credit ASAP or better to apply online then buy?
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10016 posts
3743 upvotes
multi city dweller
angel_wing0 wrote: If you get approved in store you get a temp card to use right away.
i doubt they are doing that right now ...
Mar 23, 2004
47720 posts
13889 upvotes
Markham
LOL808 wrote: i doubt they are doing that right now ...
Could be, not sure tbh. But if you plan to apply in store, it's good to think what you want to buy in advance because you get like 4X extra triangle points (or whatever the promo is running in store) if you get approved, BUT only during this shopping trip. My friend bought like 2k of stuff when he got approved a few months ago.
May 24, 2003
210 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Besides being able to pay taxes, ultilty. Any other benefit with the card? Must be something if pot mentioned it.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)