Credit Cards

Pay Your Bills Online Using CANADIAN TIRE MASTER CARD & Earn Cash Back/CT $$$ !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2024 12:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2999 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
jubjubkiwi wrote: Could anyone check if FirstService Residential (Strata) is on the bill payee list? I see them on my TD account but didn't see them on the bill payee list.
Searched and was not found. Could be their name is slightly different but I tried without a space as you have it, plus added a space between First and Service. So quite possibly not an applicable payee.
Jun 24, 2015
136 posts
107 upvotes
North York, ON
Checked the bill payee list, Bradford property taxes is there (BRAD. W. GWILL. TAX 90020025) but seems waste water isn't. Does anyone know if it's there under another name? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
The note states: "Canadian Tire Bank does not charge a fee for making an online bill payment on your account. Not all service providers may permit online bill payments by credit card or may charge a fee. "

Has anyone had to pay extra for bill payments? e.g for property taxes etc?
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2999 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
porksoda wrote: The note states: "Canadian Tire Bank does not charge a fee for making an online bill payment on your account. Not all service providers may permit online bill payments by credit card or may charge a fee. "

Has anyone had to pay extra for bill payments? e.g for property taxes etc?
Nope, all bills have been without extra fees. That includes electricity, gas, and property tax.
Apr 16, 2020
373 posts
480 upvotes
porksoda wrote: Not all service providers may permit online bill payments by credit card or may charge a fee.
That's saying that some service providers may charge you a fee for paying with a CC. The bill pay feature doesn't function as a CC payment from the service provider's end, so you avoid said fee.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3871 posts
1959 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Kneader wrote: That's saying that some service providers may charge you a fee for paying with a CC. The bill pay feature doesn't function as a CC payment from the service provider's end, so you avoid said fee.
Wait, this Canadian Tire MC doesn't get treated as a CC when paying bills online? How?

This is a game changer, no wonder why this thread has 450 pages -- a shame I just found it now.

Edit: My rent is paid through Tenantpay which is listed which means I can get cash back on over $22k right there. Add in my utilities and I'll easily be over $25k.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2018
1876 posts
2285 upvotes
Halifax, Nova Scotia
djdestroyer wrote: Wait, this Canadian Tire MC doesn't get treated as a CC when paying bills online? How?

This is a game changer, no wonder why this thread has 450 pages -- a shame I just found it now.
CTFS sends the cash payment to the biller the same as a bank would from a chequing account, except CTFS just adds it to your balance as a standard purchase with interest-free grace period intact.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2018
1136 posts
1570 upvotes
The Dawg Pound
djdestroyer wrote: Wait, this Canadian Tire MC doesn't get treated as a CC when paying bills online? How?

Edit: My rent is paid through Tenantpay which is listed which means I can get cash back on over $22k right there. Add in my utilities and I'll easily be over $25k.
Probably time for me to post this again -- pay-your-bills-online-using-canadian-ti ... #p32263823
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
Kneader wrote:
That's saying that some service providers may charge you a fee for paying with a CC. The bill pay feature doesn't function as a CC payment from the service provider's end, so you avoid said fee.
Cheers, the way they worded it made it a bit ambiguous.
threadhead wrote:
Probably time for me to post this again -- pay-your-bills-online-using-canadian-ti ... #p32263823
threadhead wrote: This will probably help you and others to understand how this works.

Your online CT Triangle account has an additional feature that other CCs do not have, which is a payment facility that is virtually identical to what you see on any bank site where you do your online banking. And just like you do with your online banking account, you can add payees (if they're listed as one of your choices) to pay your bills.

When you use an online bank to pay your bills, the money gets taken out of your bank balance, but if you use CT's platform, your payments are charged against your card instead. There are no fees to you or the payee. The payee doesn't know or care that you paid using a card because they receive 100% of the payment.

Any payments you make using the CT facility earn CT Money as if they were purchases on your card (which they actually are). There are no interest charges as long as you pay your bill before the due date,

CT can do this because it also operates a bank, and they have chosen to provide this payment service to attract people to sign up for the Triangle card. Only Triangle offers this service.

Excellent summary.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
Agreed, hats off to @threadhead, it is an excellent summary. Only modification I would make is the very last line. It's not "Only Triangle offers this service." It's with all of the MCs that CTFS issues, including the Cash Advantage MC that I've been using since 2013.

Here's my dumbed-down explanation of how it works. I regarded CTFS as my "Big Brother", paying my bills on my behalf, and then CTFS turning around and asking me to pay back this "loan" via my CT Cash Advantage MC monthly statements, by effectively treating it as a charge to my card to earn cash back:
viewtopic.php?p=27290296

@djdestroyer, as far as which CT MC to open, most people would prefer to open the no-fee World Elite Triangle MC, but for me, if I can run up the bills I'll still prefer the Cash Advantage card. I prefer cash instead of CT funny money. I tried to offer an updated analysis here:
viewtopic.php?p=32086694
No one commented to correct my numbers at that time, but if you find the math is wonky, please help to correct, thanks.
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3871 posts
1959 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
bizee-bee wrote: Agreed, hats off to @threadhead, it is an excellent summary. Only modification I would make is the very last line. It's not "Only Triangle offers this service." It's with all of the MCs that CTFS issues, including the Cash Advantage MC that I've been using since 2013.

Here's my dumbed-down explanation of how it works. I regarded CTFS as my "Big Brother", paying my bills on my behalf, and then CTFS turning around and asking me to pay back this "loan" via my CT Cash Advantage MC monthly statements, by effectively treating it as a charge to my card to earn cash back:
viewtopic.php?p=27290296

@djdestroyer, as far as which CT MC to open, most people would prefer to open the no-fee World Elite Triangle MC, but for me, if I can run up the bills I'll still prefer the Cash Advantage card. I prefer cash instead of CT funny money. I tried to offer an updated analysis here:
viewtopic.php?p=32086694
No one commented to correct my numbers at that time, but if you find the math is wonky, please help to correct, thanks.
Ya I applied for cash advantage. Don't do enough shopping at CT.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
3031 posts
1082 upvotes
Mississauga
bizee-bee wrote: Agreed, hats off to @threadhead, it is an excellent summary. Only modification I would make is the very last line. It's not "Only Triangle offers this service." It's with all of the MCs that CTFS issues, including the Cash Advantage MC that I've been using since 2013.

viewtopic.php?p=27290296

viewtopic.php?p=32086694
Some how this card slipped out of my radar even though the PayTM era (getting 1.75% CB via Rogers card) is finished last year.
opened using Sportscheck promo this week ($50eCT promo) and got approved email with $3k CL only.
Thought its strange to get this low CL, but i will not complain as long as i can pay off my taxes in installements and pay of the CC using PayTM (double dip) i am fine i guess.

May i know whats your CL for ur CTCB card? did they offered automatic increases or asked later?
Jul 7, 2014
14 posts
Toronto, ON
Anybody paid tuition of western university successful?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
mkannuri wrote: Some how this card slipped out of my radar even though the PayTM era (getting 1.75% CB via Rogers card) is finished last year.
opened using Sportscheck promo this week ($50eCT promo) and got approved email with $3k CL only.
Thought its strange to get this low CL, but i will not complain as long as i can pay off my taxes in installements and pay of the CC using PayTM (double dip) i am fine i guess.

May i know whats your CL for ur CTCB card? did they offered automatic increases or asked later?
Started with $2K limit. Increased via invitation offer when I logged into my account, to $4K. Every few months they would surprise me with another increase, $7K, $10K, $18K.

They lowered it to $10K last month, also for many other people. But I called in and they restored it to $18K right away.

Have fun with it.
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
bizee-bee wrote: Started with $2K limit. Increased via invitation offer when I logged into my account, to $4K. Every few months they would surprise me with another increase, $7K, $10K, $18K.

They lowered it to $10K last month, also for many other people. But I called in and they restored it to $18K right away.

Have fun with it.
CT lowered the limit for not using the card for 6 months last year, this year got a note that the card will be canceled because of infrequent use. I use the card for Property Taxes only. Other bills can be handled by ordinary cc. There are bunch of better cards with 2% + rebates that I use, and much better if welcome bonuses are included. Now CT will be lowering the non-CT purchases to 0.5 % CT money, I will be hard pressed to keep it for $ 20 of CTs.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2999 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Pointseeker wrote: CT lowered the limit for not using the card for 6 months last year, this year got a note that the card will be canceled because of infrequent use. I use the card for Property Taxes only. Other bills can be handled by ordinary cc. There are bunch of better cards with 2% + rebates that I use, and much better if welcome bonuses are included. Now CT will be lowering the non-CT purchases to 0.5 % CT money, I will be hard pressed to keep it for $ 20 of CTs.
When is CT lowering to 0.5%? I didn't get any notification and looking at CT's web site regarding their cards does not say anything about non-CT purchases. I know payments are grouped into the non-CT category.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2015
2299 posts
2095 upvotes
Ontario
Pointseeker wrote: CT lowered the limit for not using the card for 6 months last year, this year got a note that the card will be canceled because of infrequent use. I use the card for Property Taxes only. Other bills can be handled by ordinary cc. There are bunch of better cards with 2% + rebates that I use, and much better if welcome bonuses are included. Now CT will be lowering the non-CT purchases to 0.5 % CT money, I will be hard pressed to keep it for $ 20 of CTs.
Just set a calendar reminder to buy yourself a $1 amazon gift card every few months. I learned that the hard way after my PCF and CT WE cards both got closed due to inactivity haha.
Virgin Plus ($29/35GB BYOD)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
RichRFD wrote: Just set a calendar reminder to buy yourself a $1 amazon gift card every few months. I learned that the hard way after my PCF and CT WE cards both got closed due to inactivity haha.
if ctfs is your drawer card, then do amazon.ca reload for exactly $1 every month and loot.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2676 posts
3182 upvotes
karnige wrote: i was denied the Canadian tire CC. no idea what they are looking for. in fact it’s the first time i’ve been denied for a CC. my score is 860. i was hoping to use it for a purchase and do no interest payment for a year. such is life but sure is confusing why such a basic CC wuld deny me
jesus christ guess what shows up in the mail today. the CC....... after I bought what I wanted to buy and after they said I was denied...... **** idiots
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
22988 posts
6878 upvotes
Scarberia
karnige wrote: jesus christ guess what shows up in the mail today. the CC....... after I bought what I wanted to buy and after they said I was denied...... **** idiots
u got the WE card in mail today? if, yes, when did u apply and when did u get the card ( after how many days?) thx...i've gotten NO emails for denial or approval yet....been like 5 days...hoping to get card in mail by suprise!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)