Credit Cards

Pay Your Bills Online Using CANADIAN TIRE MASTER CARD & Earn Cash Back/CT $$$ !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2018 2:48 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 13, 2017
193 posts
26 upvotes
So I signed up for the Cash advantage card last April and have been at 1.5% since around May. Now that it's the new year am I no longer at 1.5? And will they credit my cash back? Or is it the one year anniversary date instead?
Nov 4, 2008
536 posts
356 upvotes
GTA
beatles89 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 9:02 am
So I signed up for the Cash advantage card last April and have been at 1.5% since around May.
So the Cash Advantage MC gives you 1.5% cashback for paying bills vs Options MC gives you less than 1%?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3796 posts
1528 upvotes
beatles89 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 9:02 am
So I signed up for the Cash advantage card last April and have been at 1.5% since around May. Now that it's the new year am I no longer at 1.5? And will they credit my cash back? Or is it the one year anniversary date instead?
Way to go beatles! 1.5% starts after $24,000 annual purchases on the CT Cash Advantage (see OP#1 post).

It resets each year on your card anniversary date. I'm not 100% sure if it's on your actual card approval date, or at your 12th statement's cycle date. For eg, I opened my card in Aug, and my first statement was in Sep. The following Aug (12th statement) I go the cash back applied to my card account, and my purchases onwards after my Aug statement appeared to be earning at the first tier rate of 0.25%. My "Program Enrolment Date" (look for this online in Account Summary page) is the day before my statement cycles, though I'm not sure if that is also my approval date.

Just looked at my very first CTMC statement. I had a piddly $2000 limit, and I pushed through ~$14,000. I did enough early pre-payments into the account to ensure it was still less than 20% of my $2000 limit though...but that was just luck. I didn't realize at the time that if I had left it to cycle with a balance close to $2000 (~100% utilization) that it would have (temporarily) impacted my credit score.

This the first year that my cash back from my CT MC will be less than $400 on anniversary (my best year was just short of $900). Reason being that PayTM has taken a lot of my bill payments away so that I can funnel these amounts onto my Amex/MBNA/TD cards which require a minimum spending requirement to get the welcome points in my CC churning for points game. Once PayTM starts charging me a fee, then I'll come back to this card (or Plastiq if I'm in need of its services).
Mar 13, 2017
193 posts
26 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 10:24 am
Way to go beatles! 1.5% starts after $24,000 annual purchases on the CT Cash Advantage (see OP#1 post).

It resets each year on your card anniversary date. I'm not 100% sure if it's on your actual card approval date, or at your 12th statement's cycle date. For eg, I opened my card in Aug, and my first statement was in Sep. The following Aug (12th statement) I go the cash back applied to my card account, and my purchases onwards after my Aug statement appeared to be earning at the first tier rate of 0.25%. My "Program Enrolment Date" (look for this online in Account Summary page) is the day before my statement cycles, though I'm not sure if that is also my approval date.

Just looked at my very first CTMC statement. I had a piddly $2000 limit, and I pushed through ~$14,000. I did enough early pre-payments into the account to ensure it was still less than 20% of my $2000 limit though...but that was just luck. I didn't realize at the time that if I had left it to cycle with a balance close to $2000 (~100% utilization) that it would have (temporarily) impacted my credit score.

This the first year that my cash back from my CT MC will be less than $400 on anniversary (my best year was just short of $900). Reason being that PayTM has taken a lot of my bill payments away so that I can funnel these amounts onto my Amex/MBNA/TD cards which require a minimum spending requirement to get the welcome points in my CC churning for points game. Once PayTM starts charging me a fee, then I'll come back to this card (or Plastiq if I'm in need of its services).
Much appreciated. Yeah, it was nice to get something out of OSAP. Paid off before interest accrued and got a nice cash back. Problem is it depleted my funds! Haha
Jan 15, 2013
62 posts
12 upvotes
Kamloops
Canadian Tire Options credit card- 4% canadian tire money from canadian tire/marks/sportchek and partsource. 3% from grocery store purchases.

Does anyone know if costco and walmart qualify as grocery? and does lotto purchase at a sobey/safeway count as grocery
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
3871 posts
2460 upvotes
Where am I? That is …
thetank85 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 8:37 pm
Canadian Tire Options credit card- 4% canadian tire money from canadian tire/marks/sportchek and partsource. 3% from grocery store purchases.

Does anyone know if costco and walmart qualify as grocery? and does lotto purchase at a sobey/safeway count as grocery
Wal-Mart is categorized as grocery on the MasterCard network, Costco is not.
No idea on the lottery tickets at the grocery store.
Jan 3, 2003
320 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Wal-Mart is categorized as grocery on the MasterCard network, Costco is not
From their website:
Visit canadiantire.ca or ctfs.com/ctm for more information. 3% earn rate applies to the first $12,000 in annual grocery spends. After that, your earn rate reverts back to 0.8%. Applies to purchases made at stores with MasterCard merchant code 5411 and 5300. For examples of qualifying grocery merchants, visit ctfs.com/merchants

Costco has a merchant code of 5300, purchases from there should count.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
3871 posts
2460 upvotes
Where am I? That is …
Birdman wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 11:20 pm
If the terms say merchant code 5300 is included for the 3% than that’s great for Costco shoppers, but they’re still not categorized as a grocer.
Oct 7, 2014
64 posts
6 upvotes
toronto
Birdman wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 11:20 pm
From their website:
Visit canadiantire.ca or ctfs.com/ctm for more information. 3% earn rate applies to the first $12,000 in annual grocery spends. After that, your earn rate reverts back to 0.8%. Applies to purchases made at stores with MasterCard merchant code 5411 and 5300. For examples of qualifying grocery merchants, visit ctfs.com/merchants

wait .... what? ctfs offers 3% CB on grocery category? is this new??? have had this card for ages .... i thought it was straight thru 0.8% .... news to me! kinda changes things a bit ... :) thanks for this!
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
3871 posts
2460 upvotes
Where am I? That is …
marcmanillo wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 1:17 am
wait .... what? ctfs offers 3% CB on grocery category? is this new??? have had this card for ages .... i thought it was straight thru 0.8% .... news to me! kinda changes things a bit ... :) thanks for this!
BC only!
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
4671 posts
542 upvotes
Ottawa
marcmanillo wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 1:17 am
i was wondering about this myself ... has anyone been able to confirm that they are actually getting 3%?

when it was first mentioned few months back ... i was not getting 3% for any of my grocery spending so i stop using the card even at CT stores ...
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
3871 posts
2460 upvotes
Where am I? That is …
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 1:28 am
i was wondering about this myself ... has anyone been able to confirm that they are actually getting 3%?

when it was first mentioned few months back ... i was not getting 3% for any of my grocery spending so i stop using the card even at CT stores ...
That’s because the 3% on groceries is a bonus only available to BC residents.
Sucks I know!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3796 posts
1528 upvotes
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 1:28 am

VH, when did you move to Ottawa (your profile shows this)? I thought you were a Left-Coaster, thus able to take advantage of the BC offers. :razz:
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
4671 posts
542 upvotes
Ottawa
bizee-bee wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 10:03 am
VH, when did you move to Ottawa (your profile shows this)? I thought you were a Left-Coaster, thus able to take advantage of the BC offers. :razz:
oh shoot ... how do i turn off that geolocation thinggy ?
i guess it is too late to do that now that the cat is out of the bag ... :)

i do have afinity to 3 locations which i frequent ... Face Screaming In Fear

btw, i used the card in BC ... at several different places which i believe according to other CC were "grocery stores" ... but i never received the 3% as promised ... so i ditched the CC ... unless paytm starts to assess a fee for using CC to pay bills ...Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2016
3871 posts
2460 upvotes
Where am I? That is …
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 1:53 pm
oh shoot ... how do i turn off that geolocation thinggy ?
i guess it is too late to do that now that the cat is out of the bag ... :)

i do have afinity to 3 locations which i frequent ... Face Screaming In Fear

btw, i used the card in BC ... at several different places which i believe according to other CC were "grocery stores" ... but i never received the 3% as promised ... so i ditched the CC ... unless paytm starts to assess a fee for using CC to pay bills ...Smiling Face With Sunglasses
But unless your address on your credit card statement has a BC address, you wouldn’t get the grocery reward.
It’s for BC residents, not for anyone who shops in BC.
You need to live there.