Credit Cards

Pay Your Bills Online Using CANADIAN TIRE MASTER CARD & Earn Cash Back/CT $$$ !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2024 12:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
DrDoomsday wrote: Don't Amex cards have fees in the $600 to $700 ranges? I heard they have been shutting down accounts that have been using only one year free and cancelling.
There hasn't been FYF on AmEx in Canada for a good while.

Ppl have been churning AmEx for the WB.

Yes, AmEx Plat has probably the highest AF's in Canada.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Jan 4, 2007
354 posts
151 upvotes
DrDoomsday wrote: Don't Amex cards have fees in the $600 to $700 ranges? I heard they have been shutting down accounts that have been using only one year free and cancelling.
Yes, that's why the added this temporary double double. It doesn't make sense to apply for the card now but if you have it the 4% return more than offsets the fee from pay simply, PayPal, etc... 2.3% You can pay a bunch of expenses and pocket the difference.

Ideally if they accept amex its 4% cash back.

Dinning is 12% back which is unheard of combined with the $5 back on $10 spend. There was also $250 free groceries.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1238 posts
395 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: MSR. Also ppl used it when there was no fee for MasterCard via Masterpass a good while back, meaning they were draining PayPower prepaids using this method.
What's MSR?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1238 posts
395 upvotes
Username77 wrote: Yes, that's why the added this temporary double double. It doesn't make sense to apply for the card now but if you have it the 4% return more than offsets the fee from pay simply, PayPal, etc... 2.3% You can pay a bunch of expenses and pocket the difference.

Ideally if they accept amex its 4% cash back.

Dinning is 12% back which is unheard of combined with the $5 back on $10 spend. There was also $250 free groceries.

Are you finding all of these bonuses on the AMEX website because I only see the usual credit card benefits when I go there (90 days protection + 1 year warranty + flight cancellation)

Also, I've never actually seen anyone with an AMEX card before. Is it widely accepted in Canada?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1238 posts
395 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: That's like everyone of us here sadly :lol:

That's why we are here really.
Ha ha.

Aou're right. Anyone with the income for those cards probably isn't worrying about the points.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
DrDoomsday wrote: What's MSR?
Minimum Spend Requirement
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
DrDoomsday wrote: I tried checking the list for CRA/Canada Revenue Agency but don't see it listed. Is it listed under some other name?

If not, are there any other options for getting cashback on CRA payments?
DrDoomsday wrote: What's MSR?
PayTM mobile app, Plastiq.com and PaySimply.ca all offer ways to pay the CRA, but with a fee.
Some payments vary by the card type, MC vs Visa vs Amex, and rates can fluctuated depending on the season and by the CC type.

This past season the best of these options was PaySimply.ca, at 2.29%, but only if you choose the option to pay with PayPal (link in your Amex, MC or Visa).

For about a year when it first launched here in Canada (2016/2017?), PayTM was charging 0% for using Visa/MC, but then they started to charge for Visa while keeping the MC fee-free for another year (or 2?).

Amex cards were popular to use with Plastiq at 2.5% - 2.8%, particularly when before PayTM and now PaySimply.ca became options. The welcome bonuses or sign-up bonuses (SUBs) for Amex cards typically included a MSR (minimum spending requirement) of around $3K - $7K. Using Plastiq for some or all of the MSR, burst open the SUB-pinata, which far outweighed the cost of these fees. Plus several Amex cards had waived first year annual fees (FYF), so it made more sense then, but not so much now as there are only a couple of FYF options (via fee-bate), such as the Personal Gold and Business Gold Membership Rewards cards, via the CPA affiliation.

In these COVID days, the new card opening offers have become extremely crushed. There's thread started by JerryHung many years ago, which lists some of the cards that (were) good to open for at least $200, but it hasn't been kept up to date lately, though there's still some discussion-banter flowing in there from time to time. See here.

If you're not averse to opening (churning) credit cards for SUBs, there are several FYF Visa/MC options with 10% cash back on the first $2,000 spent, during the first 3 or 4 months, and then cancel or downgrade the card before the annual fee posts. TD, CIBC, BMO, and even Tangerine had same/similar promos recently, but the offers come and go so you have to see what's available at the time. These 10% cash back promos aren't as lucrative as some of the other travel rewards options that we've been fortunate to have gorged on in prior years.

The end result of these 10% cash back offers is $200-$250 cash back for all of these card options, but the TD Cash Back Visa Infinite (CBVI) is the best (by a bit) of them all since you can redeem the cash back whenver you want, and not have to wait for a card anniversary or to wait till a Dec statement. I product switched (PS"d) an existing TD Visa card to their CBVI recently, for the 5th time since Nov 2019 - info posted here.

But this is a Can Tire MC thread. Why are we discussing this stuff here? Prolly cuz many people like me pretty much gave up our use of our CT MCs when those other services popped up, and there were plenty of good CCs to open and churn, over and over for the multiple SUBs. However, I've grown tired of that game, and the majority of SUBs aren't as great as they used to be, and the FIs are cracking down on repeat signups. So I'm ready to come back here to the simpler life, using my CT MC Cash Advantage card at 0% fee for these payees (property taxes, utilities, tuitions fees, student loans) that I cannot pay with another CC, for free.
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
darrenmak wrote: Anyone know if you can pay the Alberta student loan portion with the card?
I did a quick search, and found a few Student Loans (not an exhaustive search):
  • AB DIRECT ST.LN (Alberta?)
  • MB STUDENT LOAN (Manitoba)
  • NAT STU LN SER (NSLSC - National Student Loans Service Centre)
  • NS STUDENT LOAN (Nova Scotia?)
The above notes in brackets are my comments, not from the bill payee info at the CTFS site.

We've used the "NAT STU LN SER" to pay back Ontario OSAP loans successfully (use the 7 digit loan number, drop the dash).

Someone else will need to confirm if "AB DIRECT ST.LN" is the one you're looking for. Or try a $1 test payment. Hope it works for ya.
Feb 15, 2012
469 posts
455 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote: I did a quick search, and found a few Student Loans (not an exhaustive search):
  • AB DIRECT ST.LN (Alberta?)
  • MB STUDENT LOAN (Manitoba)
  • NAT STU LN SER (NSLSC - National Student Loans Service Centre)
  • NS STUDENT LOAN (Nova Scotia?)
The above notes in brackets are my comments, not from the bill payee info at the CTFS site.

We've used the "NAT STU LN SER" to pay back Ontario OSAP loans successfully (use the 7 digit loan number, drop the dash).

Someone else will need to confirm if "AB DIRECT ST.LN" is the one you're looking for. Or try a $1 test payment. Hope it works for ya.
Thanks for the response!
:)
Jan 4, 2007
354 posts
151 upvotes
DrDoomsday wrote: Are you finding all of these bonuses on the AMEX website because I only see the usual credit card benefits when I go there (90 days protection + 1 year warranty + flight cancellation)

Also, I've never actually seen anyone with an AMEX card before. Is it widely accepted in Canada?
pm'd you
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
Now everyone knows.
Let the Amex shenanigans begin. LOL!
Jan 4, 2007
354 posts
151 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote: But this is a Can Tire MC thread. Why are we discussing this stuff here? Prolly cuz many people like me pretty much gave up our use of our CT MCs when those other services popped up, and there were plenty of good CCs to open and churn, over and over for the multiple SUBs. However, I've grown tired of that game, and the majority of SUBs aren't as great as they used to be, and the FIs are cracking down on repeat signups. So I'm ready to come back here to the simpler life, using my CT MC Cash Advantage card at 0% fee for these payees (property taxes, utilities, tuitions fees, student loans) that I cannot pay with another CC, for free.
Good summary. I was thinking the same on the hijacking and am guilty. I responded not realizing the thread.

This ct card is pretty good on its own as a keeper. I just signed up, no annual fee, roadside assistance, 7 cents on gas, 4% on CT group, 3% on grocery and accepted at costco.

I'm planning on combining this with the TD until December then switching to the Scotia Momentum for reoccurring, grocery and higher bonus amount. The only other good one now seems to be HSBC (both cc and chequing) but they have an annoying process that I'm not interested in in light of covid. These will replace Amex Plat and Capital1 due to their nerfing.
Jan 4, 2007
354 posts
151 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote: Now everyone knows.
Let the Amex shenanigans begin. LOL!
too late. most have expired and double expires on Monday. We'll see if they do anything after that.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2019
1238 posts
395 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote: PayTM mobile app, Plastiq.com and PaySimply.ca all offer ways to pay the CRA, but with a fee.
Some payments vary by the card type, MC vs Visa vs Amex, and rates can fluctuated depending on the season and by the CC type.

This past season the best of these options was PaySimply.ca, at 2.29%, but only if you choose the option to pay with PayPal (link in your Amex, MC or Visa).

For about a year when it first launched here in Canada (2016/2017?), PayTM was charging 0% for using Visa/MC, but then they started to charge for Visa while keeping the MC fee-free for another year (or 2?).

Amex cards were popular to use with Plastiq at 2.5% - 2.8%, particularly when before PayTM and now PaySimply.ca became options. The welcome bonuses or sign-up bonuses (SUBs) for Amex cards typically included a MSR (minimum spending requirement) of around $3K - $7K. Using Plastiq for some or all of the MSR, burst open the SUB-pinata, which far outweighed the cost of these fees. Plus several Amex cards had waived first year annual fees (FYF), so it made more sense then, but not so much now as there are only a couple of FYF options (via fee-bate), such as the Personal Gold and Business Gold Membership Rewards cards, via the CPA affiliation.

In these COVID days, the new card opening offers have become extremely crushed. There's thread started by JerryHung many years ago, which lists some of the cards that (were) good to open for at least $200, but it hasn't been kept up to date lately, though there's still some discussion-banter flowing in there from time to time. See here.

If you're not averse to opening (churning) credit cards for SUBs, there are several FYF Visa/MC options with 10% cash back on the first $2,000 spent, during the first 3 or 4 months, and then cancel or downgrade the card before the annual fee posts. TD, CIBC, BMO, and even Tangerine had same/similar promos recently, but the offers come and go so you have to see what's available at the time. These 10% cash back promos aren't as lucrative as some of the other travel rewards options that we've been fortunate to have gorged on in prior years.

The end result of these 10% cash back offers is $200-$250 cash back for all of these card options, but the TD Cash Back Visa Infinite (CBVI) is the best (by a bit) of them all since you can redeem the cash back whenver you want, and not have to wait for a card anniversary or to wait till a Dec statement. I product switched (PS"d) an existing TD Visa card to their CBVI recently, for the 5th time since Nov 2019 - info posted here.

But this is a Can Tire MC thread. Why are we discussing this stuff here? Prolly cuz many people like me pretty much gave up our use of our CT MCs when those other services popped up, and there were plenty of good CCs to open and churn, over and over for the multiple SUBs. However, I've grown tired of that game, and the majority of SUBs aren't as great as they used to be, and the FIs are cracking down on repeat signups. So I'm ready to come back here to the simpler life, using my CT MC Cash Advantage card at 0% fee for these payees (property taxes, utilities, tuitions fees, student loans) that I cannot pay with another CC, for free.
A tremendously helpful post!

I tried PM'ing you to avoid hijacking the Canadia Tire Thread but ti seems PM's are blocked so I will ask here where everyone can benefit.

After seeing your post, I looked at my tuition payment portal (UofT) and saw that they charge 1.75% for credit card payments. Basically, any card with more than 2.25% cashback would end up working out better than the Canadian Tire Mastercard (0.5%).

You mentioned the TD Infinite Cashback Visa Card would get 10% on the first $2000 spend. Do you have any suggestions on what card I could use for paying the remaining $6K of tuition that would be left?

Also, is there a particular "spend category" that tuition falls into when researching cards?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
DrDoomsday wrote: A tremendously helpful post!

I tried PM'ing you to avoid hijacking the Canadia Tire Thread but ti seems PM's are blocked so I will ask here where everyone can benefit.

After seeing your post, I looked at my tuition payment portal (UofT) and saw that they charge 1.75% for credit card payments. Basically, any card with more than 2.25% cashback would end up working out better than the Canadian Tire Mastercard (0.5%).

You mentioned the TD Infinite Cashback Visa Card would get 10% on the first $2000 spend. Do you have any suggestions on what card I could use for paying the remaining $6K of tuition that would be left?

Also, is there a particular "spend category" that tuition falls into when researching cards?
Sorry, but my inbox is full, and I don't know how to archive my messages. I can't receive new PM's unless I delete some older ones. I'm rather fond of my past banters with several NOFs that I've developed a rapport with over the years.

It appears you're not seeing how this card works. Let me try to explain. Apologies if I didn't read you correctly. Here goes.

You don't use a CT MC to pay at the UofT payment portal page. You login to http://www.ctfs.com/ with your MC info and then you search for payees, much like you would do with a regular bank with its bill payment options, and then you look for payees to add to your profile. Then you submit a payment to that payee, in your case it'd be "U OF T", and then probably your student ID as your account number. You make a payment, and as far as UofT is concerned, it's like a payment from your bank as a direct debit payment (sorry if I'm incorrect with the terminology). So it's not a regular merchant purchase, with associated merchant fees.

You can't pay more than whatever credit limit you have available though, so don't go bananas with the card, and don't be surprised if they start you with a small limit to begin with. There are ways to get around this issue, if you just go back a page or 2 or 3, it was discussed.

The cool thing is that after Big Brother CTFS pays your payee, with 0% fee to you, they then turn around to ask you for the money, and since you have a CT MC, they add it to your MC's online balance, as if you made a purchase....and these amounts earn whatever rewards (points, cash back) that your card product reels in. I've got the Cash Advantage version, so I earn Cash Back. Most people would likely find it more worthwhile to open a Triangle MC instead, and if possible the World Elite version, to get free roadside assistance baked in.

In addition to TD's CBVI, there's also the CIBC Dividend Platinum Visa with FYF and 10% on first $2,000 on everything-spending, but you have to use a special link to crack open that offer. Someone posted it at the CIBC thread.

There's also the BMO World Elite Cash Back MC, which requires $80K personal income. Also FYF and 10% for first $2K on anything.

More zany ideas would be to open multiple concurrent cards, but I'm not going to push you into that rabbit hole.

Bee, who took the red pill many years ago, and is still in the recovery ward. :lol:
Last edited by bizee-bee on Jul 16th, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
W00t, just exceeded $24k MSR, now my Cash Advantage is a 1.5% earner until June next year :lol:

Rogers Killa :twisted:
Jan 4, 2007
354 posts
151 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote: The cool thing is that after Big Brother CTFS pays your payee, with 0% fee to you, they then turn around to ask you for the money, and since you have a CT MC, they add it to your MC's online balance, as if you made a purchase....and these amounts earn whatever rewards (points, cash back) that your card product reels in. I've got the Cash Advantage version, so I earn Cash Back. Most people would likely find it more worthwhile to open a Triangle MC instead, and if possible the World Elite version, to get free roadside assistance baked in.
This is an interesting point. Do they charge interest right away as a cash advance or something? or are they truly losing money on this and counting on people who carry a balance? I suppose it is only 1%.

Any idea if it works on the WE too? as that's what I just got.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16698 posts
12474 upvotes
Markham
Username77 wrote: This is an interesting point. Do they charge interest right away as a cash advance or something? or are they truly losing money on this and counting on people who carry a balance? I suppose it is only 1%.

Any idea if it works on the WE too? as that's what I just got.
I think some benefits for Canadian tire:
1: saves interchange fee
2: Canadian tire money is not 1:1 to Canadian dollar, so the actual cost for them is lower than it looks like comparing with cash back
3: you can only redeem in their brand, which could also increase their sales
Of course if you carry balance and never late paying minimum payment, that's even better

Forgot mentioning that don't think RFDers represents most Canadian behaviour:)
Last edited by smartie on Jul 16th, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26651 posts
15244 upvotes
Toronto
This is my first time around at all of this ... doing a $1 test with Toronto Hydro ...

I have to pay my entire statement PRIOR to it posting a statement or I can let the statement be created and THEN pay it in full? I saw some discussions about that recently and I don't see anything like that on the first page, so I wanted to clarify. Thanks.

Example, my next statement will be June 21 to July 20. So I have a few more days before it's "created."
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas