• Nov 1st, 2010 2:55 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 24, 2007
322 posts
8 upvotes

paying bills using RBC online banking

Just a quick question - especially for those of you that use RBC

When I go into "Pay bills and transfer funds" I have the option of selecting Checking/Savings/Visa/LOC to pay any of my payees.

If I choose pay from VISA to Utility Co. , will it be treated as a cash advance or will it get processed like a normal visa purchase?

Thanks!

TigerH
17 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
2850 posts
501 upvotes
tiger_handheld wrote: Just a quick question - especially for those of you that use RBC

When I go into "Pay bills and transfer funds" I have the option of selecting Checking/Savings/Visa/LOC to pay any of my payees.

If I choose pay from VISA to Utility Co. , will it be treated as a cash advance or will it get processed like a normal visa purchase?

Thanks!

TigerH

Cash Advance
Aug 13, 2007
198 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
tiger_handheld wrote: Just a quick question - especially for those of you that use RBC

Thanks!

TigerH

Cash advance for sure, it's even written in the fine print of that page if I remember correctly.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
146 upvotes
SC
as the other posters have said, cash adv... i believe they charge a 2.50 fee.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
When you click "next", on the confirmation page you will see:

[QUOTE]Please note that payments to a third party from your RBC Royal Bank Visa account are treated as cash advances (up to your available credit and daily limits) and are subject to the standard annual interest rate applicable to your Visa account, from the day the cash advance is posted until the balance is paid in full. A $3.50 cash advance fee/transaction applies and will be charged to your Visa Account.[/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12575 upvotes
Markham
Aero wrote: Cash Advance

It is considered as cash advance because it is an utility bill or not? I pay rogers bill by CC and didn't have cash advance charge.thanks
Sep 4, 2010
374 posts
35 upvotes
smartie wrote: It is considered as cash advance because it is an utility bill or not? I pay rogers bill by CC and didn't have cash advance charge.thanks

Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking. If you pay the bill on site by credit card, it's not a cash advance, so why should it be here? You're not directly getting cash out of it, nor are you paying off another credit card with that.

Either way, if you're unsure, or would like a clarification on policy, it won't hurt to call RBC Customer Service / go to a branch just to ask. Since it's nothing personal, the person at the info desk would be able to help you even.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
146 upvotes
SC
ryguy2008 wrote: Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking. If you pay the bill on site by credit card, it's not a cash advance, so why should it be here? You're not directly getting cash out of it, nor are you paying off another credit card with that.

Either way, if you're unsure, or would like a clarification on policy, it won't hurt to call RBC Customer Service / go to a branch just to ask. Since it's nothing personal, the person at the info desk would be able to help you even.

yea it's sort of stupid but it's how they set it up.
if you go to your account and select your cc as your "from" then you are telling it to take out money directly and put it somewhere else.

to avoid this you would need to setup a pre-authorize agreement with the seller so they can charge your cc.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
2850 posts
501 upvotes
I think it is considered cash advance since you are transferring money instead of paying it, who knows. :o . What you can do is you can "pay" them at their website or call them up to give your cc to pay they via phone. Some might not allow this though. :confused:

You don't need to do pre-authorized since some people think its a bad idea. If there's a billing problem they will and can overcharge you. You can refuse payments until they fix the overcharge and it is harder to get payments back. :mad:
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
Many utility companies (as OP's payee) such as hydro, gas, water, do not take credit card. Even if they take credit card, they charge an extra service charge.
Cable (e.g. Rogers, Shaw) and telephone (e.g. Bell) do take credit card without extra fee.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3261 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's cash advance because whenever you pay at the supplier's website (Rogers, Enbridge, etc...) it's their credit card payment processing system taking the money.

When you pay via online banking, it's not RBC taking your money so they aren't using a payment processor. They're converting the cash from your VISA to your account, and then transferring that money out to the destination as a bill payment.

It makes complete sense why it's considered a cash advance.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2938 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
So just to clarify. I won't be ding'd if I use my CC to pay the Roger's bill?
Sep 4, 2010
374 posts
35 upvotes
If you go to Rogers website, and login to your account, and pay your bill there, no.

If you setup Rogers as a Payee in web banking, and you pay your bill from your credit card, yes.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
2850 posts
501 upvotes
samm wrote: So just to clarify. I won't be ding'd if I use my CC to pay the Roger's bill?

Yes or No, see ryguy2008's reply and to add. Pre-authorized payment isn't considered cash advance as well (won't get you ding'd).
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2938 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
ryguy2008 wrote: If you go to Rogers website, and login to your account, and pay your bill there, no.

If you setup Rogers as a Payee in web banking, and you pay your bill from your credit card, yes.
Aero wrote: Yes or No, see ryguy2008's reply and to add. Pre-authorized payment isn't considered cash advance as well (won't get you ding'd).

Thanks!
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28753 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
ryguy2008 wrote: Yea, that's exactly what I was thinking. If you pay the bill on site by credit card, it's not a cash advance, so why should it be here?....
Totally agreed, until I read Chrispy's explanation.
Chrispy wrote: It's cash advance because whenever you pay at the supplier's website (Rogers, Enbridge, etc...) it's their credit card payment processing system taking the money.

When you pay via online banking, it's not RBC taking your money so they aren't using a payment processor. They're converting the cash from your VISA to your account, and then transferring that money out to the destination as a bill payment.

It makes complete sense why it's considered a cash advance.

Thanked!
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Sep 4, 2010
374 posts
35 upvotes
Aero wrote: Yes or No, see ryguy2008's reply and to add. Pre-authorized payment isn't considered cash advance as well (won't get you ding'd).

I realized though this statement is somewhat misleading. If you setup a pre-authorized payment plan drectly with Rogers, then it's not a cash advance. However, if you setup a pre-authorized payment in web banking to go on the xth of every month, then that s a cash advance.

ryguy2008
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4624 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ryguy2008 wrote: I realized though this statement is somewhat misleading. If you setup a pre-authorized payment plan drectly with Rogers, then it's not a cash advance. However, if you setup a pre-authorized payment in web banking to go on the xth of every month, then that s a cash advance.

ryguy2008

Yeah, you have to be careful of the wording. That may be called a scheduled payment or scheduled transfer, but it is not pre-authorized.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)