• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2008 9:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2732 posts
1 upvote
please share where this occurred at so that I can make sure to never go there.

thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16073 posts
6242 upvotes
FerrisB wrote:
May 30th, 2008 3:29 pm
I wonder if venues actually pays staff the mandatory gratuities or if it's just a way to squeeze another 17% out of you. I would make a point of telling people not to tip anyone.

IMO mandatory gratuities are BS. It really isn't a 'gratuity' if they force you to pay it.
I've had a couple restaurants that will give you a dedicated waiter when in a large group (and obviously charge a mandatory gratuity). To me, when the service is a cut above like this, it is worth paying a service charge (mandatory gratuity).

However I am against places that charges you the mandatory gratuity then give you the same level of service that any other table gets.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4512 posts
1421 upvotes
Kingston
TrevorK wrote:
Jun 1st, 2008 2:50 am
I've had a couple restaurants that will give you a dedicated waiter when in a large group (and obviously charge a mandatory gratuity). To me, when the service is a cut above like this, it is worth paying a service charge (mandatory gratuity).

However I am against places that charges you the mandatory gratuity then give you the same level of service that any other table gets.
Yup, thats usually the reason why they have the manditory gratuity. If the waitress is stuck at only your table and you don't tip at all or tip really low then they've had a bad night since thats all the tips they get. They would have only 1 chance to get a good tip instead of say 10 tables worth of tips. One person may tip but if the table has 25 people, serving that many people and only getting $4 is not worth all the work they had to do. If they get more tables after you left they still wont make it up.

Having manditory gratuity the waitress doesnt have to worry because remember waitress min wage is alot lower so they rely on tips.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2486 posts
650 upvotes
GTA
Tha DraGun wrote:
Jun 1st, 2008 1:52 pm
Yup, thats usually the reason why they have the manditory gratuity. If the waitress is stuck at only your table and you don't tip at all or tip really low then they've had a bad night since thats all the tips they get. They would have only 1 chance to get a good tip instead of say 10 tables worth of tips. One person may tip but if the table has 25 people, serving that many people and only getting $4 is not worth all the work they had to do. If they get more tables after you left they still wont make it up.

Having manditory gratuity the waitress doesnt have to worry because remember waitress min wage is alot lower so they rely on tips.
Right, but they still expect to receive tip on top of that mandatory gratuity... Ive had situations where the waitress wqas actually upset that we werent leaving more! Like come on, are we suppose to leave 30% all of a sudden?
Dec 31, 1969
whampoa wrote:
May 30th, 2008 3:54 pm
Why don't you let them know you'll pay them a 'discretionary' gratuity of $200 even if they takeoff from the bill.

If they won't budge, make sure you've a copy of the receipt and report it to CRA to make sure the banquet hall report it on their tax.
Ummm? You do realize that GST (5%) on $170 is $8.50 right?

So you would rather pay $200 instead of $178.50? :lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4791 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
selpats wrote:
Jun 1st, 2008 5:05 pm
Ummm? You do realize that GST (5%) on $170 is $8.50 right?

So you would rather pay $200 instead of $178.50? :lol:

That's right, stick it to the MAN.

Why pay more tax to the FED when you can actually tip more to the people who actually spoon feed you at the banquet.

More like an incentive for the banquet employees to provide a better than average service.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Dec 31, 1969
whampoa wrote:
Jun 1st, 2008 7:33 pm
That's right, stick it to the MAN.

Why pay more tax to the FED when you can actually tip more to the people who actually spoon feed you at the banquet.
Stick it to the "MAN"? :lol:

These forums are rife with immature, small minded individuals. I can no longer associate myself with the idiots here. Goodbye.