Art and Photography

Paying homage to the legendary 1Ds Mark III that gave me a crash course in DSLR photography

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2017 6:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1426 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Paying homage to the legendary 1Ds Mark III that gave me a crash course in DSLR photography

In one of my earlier jobs, I had access to virtually every camera and lenses in the market - literally a kid in a candy store with unlimited all you can eat. My only photography experience before that was the Sony DSC-P series DSC-V1 P&S Camera so DSLR is completely new to me.

The big white Canon L lenses and the bulky 1Ds body grabbed my attention so I took them out of the inventory for a spin. The first thing I wondered is where are all the presets found on beginner friendly camera (sports, landscape etc). Then I realized I am dealing with a different beast altogether and I better ramp up my skills quickly. A week later, it was my wife's university convocation so I better learn how to shoot properly or else I am just going to be a poser with no substance.

Thinking about this, the lack of any auto-presets really threw me into the deep end and forced me to very quickly learn and memorize the photographer's trinity cold. To this day, I credit the 1Ds Mark III for really giving me a kick in the butt on what real photography is all about. I've attached some of the photos that was taken in my first week of using the 1Ds:

Dual XEON E5-2696V4 | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080Ti OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |1 TB Samsung 960 Pro
FreeNAS & Plex Server XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 RAIDZ1