Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4969 posts
342 upvotes

Paying INSIDE at Gas Station (Esso) to Completely Fill Up Tank

Many (if not all) of the gas stations in Vancouver are asking for "prepay before you pump" now.

I often want to do a complete fill-up. At the pump, that's easy to do as it pre-authorizes your credit card for a large amount and the exact amount is charged once you put the pump back.

When one pre-pays in-store (which is required to use the Esso discount card), is there a strategy that can be used to do a complete top-up?

Specifically this refers to Esso.
26 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16389 posts
4092 upvotes
Toronto
Best strategy is to figure out how many litres of gas you need when your tank is close to empty. So if you know that $60 fills up your tank at $1/Litre, you can use that estimation as a starting point and adjust depending on the gas price.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18607 posts
1995 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I'm fairly certain they can do the same thing in store, I.E. authorize upto an amount but only charge the actual amount. I've done it in the States before.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3005 posts
1017 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
Go in, hand them your card, say, "I'm going to fill it up", go back out and pump the gas, go back in and pick up your card.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
3719 posts
1103 upvotes
Ontario
makaturing wrote:
Feb 15th, 2015 12:10 pm
Go in, hand them your card, say, "I'm going to fill it up", go back out and pump the gas, go back in and pick up your card.
I would never leave my card with them. Too easy for them to clone your card.

Just get them to pre authorize $100
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6023 posts
575 upvotes
SW Ontario
deadice wrote:
Feb 15th, 2015 1:09 pm
I would never leave my card with them. Too easy for them to clone your card.

Just get them to pre authorize $100
This. You can prepay any amount and when you finish they return the extra or just charge what you used. (Depending if it is cash or cc). Just a pain because you need to return to the cashier a second time.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10674 posts
4233 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What I don't like recently are the ESSO Gift Cards that I got from Shop.ca... At most ESSO, I have to take the card inside to be used. For some reason, they aren't valid at the pump any more.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20990 posts
6976 upvotes
deadice wrote:
Feb 15th, 2015 1:09 pm
Just get them to pre authorize $200
Fixed.
I hate pumps that cap at $100. Maybe not so much now that gas is back to $1/L but when it was closer to $1.40/L I'd have to make 2 transactions just to get my stupid tank full.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4969 posts
342 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote:
Feb 15th, 2015 11:57 am
I'm fairly certain they can do the same thing in store, I.E. authorize upto an amount but only charge the actual amount. I've done it in the States before.
Interesting, never knew they could do this.

Any idea if this works with the Esso Privileges card in the same transaction?
Jan 31, 2015
8 posts
1 upvote
Campbellford, ON
Prepay is the law in BC now, and has been for at least Five years. I guess they want to protect cashiers from not having to chase gas and goes. Often store policy is that the cashier was responsible for all gas and goes. Not exactly fair in my book, but I guess stores found that gas and goes where the clerk never got the plate number went up dramatically when certain people were hired (leading them to think they were inside jobs), so they came down on everyone in response.
Aug 17, 2005
92 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
No, there was a horrible event where an attendant tried to stop a gas-and-go and got run over and dragged under the car for about 10km (!). So they made the law you are referring to. It's called 'Grant's Law'. Grant De Patie was the victim. It also stipulates that there has to be more than one worker on any shift.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2003
1480 posts
1417 upvotes
SASKABUSH
makaturing wrote:
Feb 15th, 2015 12:10 pm
we had probs with this here in saskatoon ..we wanted to fill up the truck as it was 5pm and we were doing a round trip to Edmonton area (spur of the moment as we ended up helping my son move lol) We ended up hitting a small town garage instead because NONE of them did this in store ... like wow - we ended up getting cheaper gas out side of the city :) (which is usually the case in this area ..even our town is 3 cents cheaper all the time)
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21269 posts
2088 upvotes
Not sure where the thread is but you can use the cents off card in store and prepay to burn it down. If you preauth $100 and gas is $1/L, it will deduct up to 100L from the cents off card. Then you pay the remaining $95 however you want. As long as you buy at least $5 in gas the cents off card is empty.
Oct 23, 2013
201 posts
69 upvotes
Edmonton
100 cap pumps are a pain in the ass. they have all moved to 200 in truck country.
Jan 18, 2015
84 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Arrow wrote:
Feb 15th, 2015 11:45 am
Many (if not all) of the gas stations in Vancouver are asking for "prepay before you pump" now.

I often want to do a complete fill-up. At the pump, that's easy to do as it pre-authorizes your credit card for a large amount and the exact amount is charged once you put the pump back.

When one pre-pays in-store (which is required to use the Esso discount card), is there a strategy that can be used to do a complete top-up?

Specifically this refers to Esso.
i hate it and I just avoid them. If i have to use them, I only put $20 on until I find another gas station. Feel like an idiot buying only $20 of gas but I wont leave the card with them and it never works out straight up if I try to fill up.