• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2015 4:06 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 22, 2013
930 posts
216 upvotes
EDMONTON
Every time I've filled at Esso, I just walk in, tell the guy I want $60 on pump #x, hand him my Price Privileges card, tap my speedpass or hand him a gift card, and out I go. Works the same as paying at the pump
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2007
3008 posts
423 upvotes
I hope Ontario doesn't enforce prepaying.. I used to just pay at the pump before, but now with the price privileges card I have to go inside to use it. Kind of a pain but I guess it saves you a buck or two everytime...
Positive Investing!
Jul 22, 2006
230 posts
4 upvotes
Surrey
I don't mind prepaying at all as long as you can pay at the pump. What BC gas stations require that you pay inside? The only time I ever encountering paying inside is in the US. I try to swipe my card at the pump, but then they ask me to input my zipcode.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17762 posts
1764 upvotes
Space for rent
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 15th, 2015 4:36 pm
Fixed.
I hate pumps that cap at $100. Maybe not so much now that gas is back to $1/L but when it was closer to $1.40/L I'd have to make 2 transactions just to get my stupid tank full.
Hummer?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7961 posts
1048 upvotes
All the pumps in the Toronto area have been set to $200 default for prepay for months now.

I don't fill up at Esso anymore, mostly at Petro and all discount/gift cards are accepted at the pump, you just have to swipe them first before you tap/swipe your credit card. I don't mind prepay, I've paid at the pump for the past 16 years and I find it's much faster and convenient especially with tap and go. I only ever go inside the station if the receipt printer at the pump is busted or out of paper.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Jan 31, 2015
8 posts
1 upvote
Campbellford, ON
faston wrote:
Feb 16th, 2015 5:47 pm
No, there was a horrible event where an attendant tried to stop a gas-and-go and got run over and dragged under the car for about 10km (!). So they made the law you are referring to. It's called 'Grant's Law'. Grant De Patie was the victim. It also stipulates that there has to be more than one worker on any shift.
I know the law came into effect because of a worker death. I was referring to why stores themselves had started making clerks responsible for the stolen gas. This results in them risking their lives to stop thieves, as it was stealing from the clerk's pocket not the station owner. Personally I thought that that was a despicable act by the store owners to begin with as they knew people would risk their lives over $50. With how little they paid he clerks to begin with t hey could lose most of a shifts pay off of one theft.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1018 posts
214 upvotes
london
one downfall I see with pay at the pump is how much foot traffic sales are lost (I wonder if there are stats to show this)
pay at the pump you just fill up go back to your car and go

where as if you go inside you might say 'oh ill get a drink while Im here' etc
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4390 posts
989 upvotes
GTEH!
glacier76 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2015 12:52 am
I don't mind prepaying at all as long as you can pay at the pump. What BC gas stations require that you pay inside? The only time I ever encountering paying inside is in the US. I try to swipe my card at the pump, but then they ask me to input my zipcode.
I've heard people put in zip codes "12345". Or just look up a zip code and use it next time you're in USA.
😎
Jul 14, 2014
559 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Could somebody explain why gas stations in BC are requiring pre-payment in store ? I knew they did that in the US due to the large number of people driving off without paying, but I didn't realize it had come to that in any part of Canada.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14036 posts
4197 upvotes
Montreal
faston wrote:
Feb 16th, 2015 5:47 pm
No, there was a horrible event where an attendant tried to stop a gas-and-go and got run over and dragged under the car for about 10km (!). So they made the law you are referring to. It's called 'Grant's Law'. Grant De Patie was the victim. It also stipulates that there has to be more than one worker on any shift.
yep, and the guy who killed him is a real piece of work:

http://www.villagenow.net/2011/11/wante ... on-of.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/dragge ... story.html
Deal Expert
Jun 11, 2007
15769 posts
1682 upvotes
Maple Ridge
If you want to pay cash, you have to do pre-payment in store; otherwise, you can pay at the pump like I always do.
Prize Won:
(2015-2016) Nothing big/Small...
(2014) Huawei Mini Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
http://my.cutetaffy.com