• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2014 1:32 am
Tags:
None
Oct 9, 2013
58 posts
13 upvotes

Paying nanny during our 3 week vacation

We pay nanny monthly and deduct taxes. This is our first nanny in Canada and first year, We do pay her for the public holidays.
But wonder we need to pay full for the 3 weeks we stay out of the country?
If some people say yes, what if the nanny leaves job the very next month we return. Wouldnt this be a crazy situation?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2017 posts
245 upvotes
Of course you have to pay her. She's not a slave.
"I've been tearing money since my first Holy Communion."
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
are you hiring her on full time salary, then yes. If it's hourly part time work, then no.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
Labour law is provincial, so there may be some variations depending on where you live. I assume however that you are providing her with paid vacation. In that case, you may have the right to determine when she takes the vacation time. That might provide her continuity of income and provide you with some level of security that she will remain your employee.

I'm guessing that most employers of nannies place a high value of continuity of care for their child(ren). I suspect that continuity might be at risk if you expect her to remain available to you without being paid. Unless she is financially well-prepared for that kind of loss of income, she may need to seek other employment.

In addition, I would think that a three-week break of wages would require you to issue her with a Record Of Employment for EI purposes. An ROE must be issued when there is an "interruption of earnings".

"When an employee has had or is anticipated to have seven consecutive calendar days with no work and no insurable earnings from the employer, an interruption of earnings occurs. This situation is called the seven-day rule. For example, the seven-day rule applies when employees quit their jobs or are laid off, or when their employment is terminated..."

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/serv ... terruption

I would think you wouldn't want to violate federal law in this regard just as you would want to preserve the continuity of care for your child(ren).
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1435 posts
127 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
jinneebhat wrote: We pay nanny monthly and deduct taxes. This is our first nanny in Canada and first year, We do pay her for the public holidays.
But wonder we need to pay full for the 3 weeks we stay out of the country?
If some people say yes, what if the nanny leaves job the very next month we return. Wouldnt this be a crazy situation?
You know what be crazier? She being there for you when you're back after 3 weeks without paying her.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
1100 posts
395 upvotes
Can you work something out so that she takes her vacation at the same time as you being on vacation???
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
jinneebhat wrote: If some people say yes, what if the nanny leaves job the very next month we return. Wouldnt this be a crazy situation?
No, she's allowed to give you her 2 weeks notice, whether or not you are on vacation. You can't force her to take a 3 weeks vacation (Take it out of her vacation time) just because you are gone for 3 weeks, nor can you reduce her salary if she's hired/contracted full time.

Can't you make her do some house chores like recaulk the tub and clean the ventilation ducts? :razz:
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2003
4646 posts
746 upvotes
jinneebhat wrote: If some people say yes, what if the nanny leaves job the very next month we return. Wouldnt this be a crazy situation?
To avoid this situation, is it possible to pay her for those three weeks when you return? Is she living paycheck to paycheck?
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Kohanz wrote: To avoid this situation, is it possible to pay her for those three weeks when you return? Is she living paycheck to paycheck?
OP wouldn't be allowed to withhold payment even if he/she came back from vacation to find out that the Nanny is giving her 2 weeks notice. So that suggestion wouldn't work.
OP has to pay, the end.
Banned
Jun 2, 2009
2738 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
So the nanny doesn't need to eat or pay her own expenses for the 3 weeks you guys are gone? OF COURSE YOU HAVE TO PAY HER.Its no different than a daycare, if you are gone for 3 weeks you still have to pay your fees. missed days etc, all must be paid for.
Idle hands are the devils playthings
Aug 29, 2012
268 posts
56 upvotes
Mississauga
alkizmo wrote: No, she's allowed to give you her 2 weeks notice, whether or not you are on vacation. You can't force her to take a 3 weeks vacation (Take it out of her vacation time) just because you are gone for 3 weeks, nor can you reduce her salary if she's hired/contracted full time.

Can't you make her do some house chores like recaulk the tub and clean the ventilation ducts? :razz:
Really? Factories go into forced shutdown every year - mandatory vacation.

As an employer do you have to withhold 4% vacation pay too? I am not saying you need to - just don't know.
May 19, 2013
45 posts
6 upvotes
Are you for real? Of course you have to pay your nanny. As a new resident of Canada you should be aware that we have a "no slave" policy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9335 posts
5638 upvotes
She's taking care of your kids, it's in your best interest to keep her happy.

You treat her like s*#t, she treats your kids the same.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1549 posts
269 upvotes
Not knowing the full details of the contract between OP and the nanny, this stinks of "constructive dismissal", meaning it's ILLEGAL!

OP -- not only can the nanny sue you for the 3 weeks pay, she can quit on the spot and sue you for loss wages from the day she quits to the day she finds another (equally paying) job.

As per Mexicanuck, we have labour laws in Canada that forbids this behaviour.

As for the forced factory shut down scenario, that's negotiated, recurring, scheduled, PAID, and usually in addition to the 2 weeks (minimum) vacation. It's a perk, not punishment.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)