PC & Video Games

Paying for Online Console services (rant)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2018 11:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1078 posts
273 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:18 am
There have been pretty good games offered on both services:

This month's PS+ has
Bloodborne and Ratchet and Clank reboot. Both highly praised games.
Until Dawn was up there recently as well.

I already own them but having an additional digital copy is nice as well for those that don't have them already.
This was touted at Sony's best free month ever, probably in hopes that gamers don't notice that they will stop offering free PS3 and Vita games. Those indeed all GREAT games but the problem is that they come too late in their life cycle and anyone that was gong to play them already owns them. Great for the people that haven't played them yet but not me. I bought all those games when they were all already deeply discounted so they provide no value to me.

I'd rather play online for free and let me choose which games I want to buy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1078 posts
273 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:28 am
I honestly have a hard time getting bent out of shape paying 30-40$/year for what amounts to the ability to play online plus 48 games.
I've definitely spent my money in much worse ways.

All though I do sympathize with the OP who is tied down to two subscriptions that seemed to expire at the same time and therefore is stuck in a position where he needs to pay what he can get right now to continue his subscription.
Please show me where I can pay $30-40/year for Xbox Live Gold? I would load up on 3 years of service right now. I don't mind paying a little bit under the guise of server costs or whatever but it's similar to microtransactions, it's all about how much a gamer's wallet is able to sustain until they just can't anymore. It was fine last gen when it was just the 360 but now every console requires a fee for online and it's getting out of hand. Show me where I can pay $30-40/year, $70 is just too much.

To make matters worse, I see people getting targetted with Xbox Live renewal for $46.66. What kind of stupid system is it that only some people get a discount but not others? I'm a long time Xbox Live member and spends hundreds if not thousands of dollars on games a year. What more do I have to do?
Last edited by Bryson on Mar 13th, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5021 posts
708 upvotes
calgary
Bryson wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:49 am
The conclusion in your first paragraph is incorrect. Gamers didn't pay a premium for Xbox live gold because they wanted better service. They did it because they were forced to. The option was either pay for Gold or don't play online. I fail to see how gamerscore achievements add to the development cost of a game. If anything they are just another addictive mechanism to instill a false sense of pride and accomplishment. I know because I am one of these people. If it wasn't for achievements I'd probably be playing on PC.
But people who didn't want to pay to play online could have just got a PS3.

XBL offered games and services that weren't on PS3. Early PS3 was practically a joke compared to the functionality of the XB360

All this proved was that if it was enticing enough service or has game people will pay to use/play it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1078 posts
273 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:22 pm
But people who didn't want to pay to play online could have just got a PS3.

XBL offered games and services that weren't on PS3. Early PS3 was practically a joke compared to the functionality of the XB360

All this proved was that if it was enticing enough service or has game people will pay to use/play it.
True but not completely accurate. It's true that MS made huge strides in their online service compared to Sony but you could already use PC to voice chat with popular programs like TeamSpeak and play games for free and still can to this day. Xbox had the better hardware, more first person shooters like Halo, exclusive marketing deals with games like Call of Duty and in general people just hated playing FPS with the PS3 controller.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7061 posts
933 upvotes
if you have time to play 3 consoles online all the time, you have time to work for a day and pay the fees for the year.

or do what normal people do and dont play 3 consoles online, and stick to 1.

$200 for 1 year online for 3 platforms isnt the end of the world, but its primarily a chosen problem by you. Most people stick to 1 platform for online play.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5176 posts
1992 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:43 am
There's no data in this link about subscribers before online play was locked behind PS+. We already know millions of people signed up after 2014 when they had no choice
Not play online and do something else. I get it though, it's not A LOT of money and you want to play your game so you pay it and it is what it is. Millions of people feel the same and that's why this is spreading across platforms and the price keeps going up
I'm not really complaining, I know I've wasted more money on stuff that has less value ($5/month for each service). This all rolls into disposable income and priorities.
Bryson wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:21 pm
Please show me where I can pay $30-40/year for Xbox Live Gold? I would load up on 3 years of service right now. I don't mind paying a little bit under the guise of server costs or whatever but it's similar to microtransactions, it's all about how much a gamer's wallet is able to sustain until they just can't anymore. It was fine last gen when it was just the 360 but now every console requires a fee for online and it's getting out of hand. Show me where I can pay $30-40/year, $70 is just too much.

To make matters worse, I see people getting targetted with Xbox Live renewal for $46.66. What kind of stupid system is it that only some people get a discount but not others? I'm a long time Xbox Live member and spends hundreds if not thousands of dollars on games a year. What more do I have to do?
That's no different that most subscription based items...why would they offer you a discount if they think you're going to stay? Think about cell phone, cable TV, internet...tell them you want to cancel and you'll usually get a deal. I think the $46 XBL promo shows up when you are in the month it expires.

Generally you can get deals on XBL easier than PSN but it works out to probably $50/year. Not sure where to get it for $30.
Buggy166 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 2:21 pm
if you have time to play 3 consoles online all the time, you have time to work for a day and pay the fees for the year.

or do what normal people do and dont play 3 consoles online, and stick to 1.

$200 for 1 year online for 3 platforms isnt the end of the world, but its primarily a chosen problem by you. Most people stick to 1 platform for online play.
Like I said before, gaming is disposable income, so if there was a time I couldn't afford a console, I'd stop the PSN subscription.
Aug 20, 2009
6464 posts
1098 upvotes
Grimsby
I don't plan on renewing my subs this year but I do most of my online gaming on the PC.

I do agree with the sentiment that people probably wouldn't sub without the "free" games anymore. It's really the only reason I bothered for the past few years but I've since realized I never end up getting to most of the games anyway.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1721 posts
180 upvotes
North York
9394 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 2:55 pm
Like I said before, gaming is disposable income, so if there was a time I couldn't afford a console, I'd stop the PSN subscription.
That's my choice if I had to drop XBLG or PSN. I really only play the single player exclusives and not play online on the PS4.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1420 posts
735 upvotes
Windsor
Just drop ps+. PS4 is only good for single-player only games.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5176 posts
1992 upvotes
mymuro wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:06 pm
Just drop ps+. PS4 is only good for single-player only games.
Not going to happened until there's a good baseball game for the Xbox.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15795 posts
679 upvotes
Stouffville
so many ppl still complain about game prices and paying for online? really? like cmon...did these people not grow up back in the day when we were paying $90+tax for a SNES game...minimum wage in the early 90s in ontario was $6... you had to work over 17 hours (not taking into account income tax) to afford that ONE game.... with minimum wage at $15 now....say you want one brand new game and one online service for a year (say COD and PS+)...that is $150+tax for new release.... that works out to 11 hours of work to afford a new release game and online for a year... not to mention you get WAY more in content in these games and online than you would in most SNES games...

with the crazy budgets that are spent on games these days, i am surprised at how cheap they actually still really are.. we should be happy..i am happy that a minimum wage worker can basically afford THREE brand new release games now vs. ONE game back in the 80s and 90s for the same amount of hours worked..
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3827 posts
502 upvotes
I'll go against the grain and say that I have no issue paying for PS Plus. I'm pretty happy with the service. The cloud saves are a nice backup to have in (the unlikely) case my HDD ever fails. The free games are very nice to have even though out of the about 24 free PS4 games per year, I play maybe only 1-2 of them. The best value for me is really in having the larger discounts on games during sales. The PS Plus discounts on games have more than made up for my $70 per year.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5021 posts
708 upvotes
calgary
grappos13 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 2:36 am
so many ppl still complain about game prices and paying for online? really? like cmon...did these people not grow up back in the day when we were paying $90+tax for a SNES game...minimum wage in the early 90s in ontario was $6... you had to work over 17 hours (not taking into account income tax) to afford that ONE game.... with minimum wage at $15 now....say you want one brand new game and one online service for a year (say COD and PS+)...that is $150+tax for new release.... that works out to 11 hours of work to afford a new release game and online for a year... not to mention you get WAY more in content in these games and online than you would in most SNES games...

with the crazy budgets that are spent on games these days, i am surprised at how cheap they actually still really are.. we should be happy..i am happy that a minimum wage worker can basically afford THREE brand new release games now vs. ONE game back in the 80s and 90s for the same amount of hours worked..
Its all relative, it's an entirely different era, there a millions of games to play now, some people have trained themselves to not spend more than 10$ on a game where others spend 1000$'s a year on all the new releases due to various reasons.

If your using just one of the services and you play a few of the free games the hit really isn't anything to get bent out of shape about but if are like the OP and you require both subscriptions and don't bother with the free games I imagine its a bit of a tough pill to swallow.

It's just part of the hobby at this point though, I know many people who playing nothing but the EA Sports games and CoD (well BF now), they don't touch any of the free games (Im fairly sure they don't even know this is a thing) and it's just part of the budget for them. They don't spend a ton on games overall (maybe 200$/year) but get hours of entertainment, so ultimately I don't think they see it as a big deal either.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5915 posts
2062 upvotes
Toronto
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 9:13 am
I'll go against the grain and say that I have no issue paying for PS Plus. I'm pretty happy with the service. The cloud saves are a nice backup to have in (the unlikely) case my HDD ever fails. The free games are very nice to have even though out of the about 24 free PS4 games per year, I play maybe only 1-2 of them. The best value for me is really in having the larger discounts on games during sales. The PS Plus discounts on games have more than made up for my $70 per year.
Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG, and Win10 Xbox also offer cloud saves, friends list/party chat, and online play free of charge while also giving away actually free games you can keep forever and deep discounts on new titles throughout the year. If all those companies can provide those services entirely for free, what justification does Sony have to charge you $70 annually for the exact same thing?
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1076 posts
137 upvotes
Play on the PC if that Xbox Gold/ PS+ subscription fee bothers you. Honestly I think the $70 is way too much that's why I load up during black Friday. Also all the Xbox games are on PC anyway so you can skip the Xbox.