Personal Finance

Paying Property Taxes and other utilities with Credit card possible?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2015 3:46 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 8, 2010
258 posts
17 upvotes
Chambly

Paying Property Taxes and other utilities with Credit card possible?

Is there anyway to pay you Property taxes and other higher utilities using your credit card so you can earn points/cash rewards?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3422 posts
30 upvotes
Coquitlam
Canadian tire options MasterCard offers bill payment with 1% rebate in CT money.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2010
258 posts
17 upvotes
Chambly
Any bill pay? My city taxes for example do not accept credit cards. How can I find out if CT would allow me to pay them? Any iother options besides CT as I don't spend much there per year
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2951 posts
2350 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
mcu wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2015 11:57 pm
Any bill pay? My city taxes for example do not accept credit cards. How can I find out if CT would allow me to pay them? Any iother options besides CT as I don't spend much there per year
This card generally has any bill pay, EXCEPT other credit cards.
Mar 5, 2013
495 posts
118 upvotes
Ottawa
There's no incentive for municipalities and utility companies to pay the fees associated with credie cards, so they don't accept them.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2010
258 posts
17 upvotes
Chambly
yea but there is incentive for the CC companies to do so because many will carry a balance instead of paying their taxes in one lump sum
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4617 posts
881 upvotes
I'm not aware of any municipalities who would accept credit card payments. If you find one, please let us all know!
Mar 3, 2009
699 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
mcu wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 3:07 pm
yea but there is incentive for the CC companies to do so because many will carry a balance instead of paying their taxes in one lump sum
The problem is the credit card company will charge the municipalities and utility companies 1% to 2% to accept a credit card, so it is not beneficial to them.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23645 posts
8630 upvotes
Toronto
for those municipalities that accept CC, they imposed a fee between 2 - 2.65% on the total tax payments

Do you really want to give this card card middleman companies a few hundred $ as handling fee ?
[OP]
Sep 8, 2010
258 posts
17 upvotes
Chambly
You guys are not understanding my question. I am not looking for municipalities that accept CC. I have seen a few but I can't pick up my home and move to them. What I am looking for are for credit cards that let me pay bills online using the credit card while earning points. My RBC card allows it but it does it as a cash withdrawal and no points are awarded, so no good for me.

I will try the CT Mastercard, I was just hoping there were other cards out there that I can accumulate points for travel or cashback
[OP]
Sep 8, 2010
258 posts
17 upvotes
Chambly
Thanks! You just saved me a credit app. CT does not have my municipality as a bill payee
Dec 22, 2013
930 posts
216 upvotes
EDMONTON
Badger wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2015 11:09 pm
Canadian tire options MasterCard offers bill payment with 1% rebate in CT money.
It's 0.8% now under the new system.

OP, go look at the spreadsheet in the first post of the CT Options thread to see if your city taxes are listed in there.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4015 posts
637 upvotes
Richmond
mcu wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2015 11:57 pm
i don't either but have been using the ct money for led lightbulbs. need to phase out old bulbs in the house but they are bloody expensive.

however if you don't shop at ct, you can apply for for a ct cash advantage card.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1371 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Some organizations accept Plastiq (a cutely named website). However, the fee of 2% is high, and I don't know their list of payees. Check them out if you're willing to soak that kind of fee.