Personal Finance

Paying Property Taxes and other utilities with Credit card possible?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2015 3:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2010
1700 posts
136 upvotes
If they did that, they'd have to raise property taxes and utilities by 2%.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
8474 posts
1019 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MarvinMartian wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 4:14 pm
Go to this thread and click on the most recent google docs list of bills you can pay on the CT Master Card.
pay-your-bills-online-using-canadian-ti ... t-1149989/

I'm able to pay Hydro One, Enbridge, Municipal Taxes, Municipal Water Bill, and Heritage Education RESP.
tsimpson76 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 4:59 pm
It's 0.8% now under the new system.

OP, go look at the spreadsheet in the first post of the CT Options thread to see if your city taxes are listed in there.
Thanks for the tip! Too bad neither Richmond Hill nor Toronto property tax is included.

I assume CT Options MC can't be setup as PAD pre-authorized debit with Utilities, need to cancel PAD, then pay bills manually with CT Options MC, correct?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4015 posts
637 upvotes
Richmond
FoFai2015 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 9:17 pm
Some organizations accept Plastiq (a cutely named website). However, the fee of 2% is high, and I don't know their list of payees. Check them out if you're willing to soak that kind of fee.
only doable if the return rate for your card is higher than 2%
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2012
1755 posts
869 upvotes
Kanata, ON
wlee wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 10:55 pm
Thanks for the tip! Too bad neither Richmond Hill nor Toronto property tax is included.

I assume CT Options MC can't be setup as PAD pre-authorized debit with Utilities, need to cancel PAD, then pay bills manually with CT Options MC, correct?
You can setup Recurring Bill Payments through the CT Master Card, but it's only for a few select companies that allow it. You can check out the list here: https://www.ctfs.com/Products/CreditCar ... lPayments/ ...all it does it directs you to that companies website to setup the PAD though, so it's not entirely useful.

You're better off doing it manually every month. A pain for some, but I've gotten into a habit of it now. I keep track of when I should be receiving the bill and pay it off once I receive it rather than waiting until closer to the due date.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4369 posts
1126 upvotes
This may not be the answer OP is looking for but from reading replies here, some may find this info interesting.

Some municipalities do accept cc for taxes via Canada Post's ePost. I haven't checked recently but I did it last ~July for my city.

I heard somebody talking about it at the gym a while back.
I called city hall - property tax dept and person told me I can do it via Canada Post's ePost.
In greater Vancouver, Richmond allows it but not Burnaby and Vancouver. They may have added more cities this year. If I remember correctly, there is a drop down listing at the ePost site of all municipalities that accept ePost payment. Got back ~$200 in pts back last year.
I suggest contacting your city hall and checking out Canada Post ePost (payment).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7271 posts
911 upvotes
Burnaby
BC Hydro uses a third party for Mastercard payments, at $3 for $250. This isn't bad actually

Fortis has a tiered amount, but accepts MC at $7 for $500 (or $20 for $1000, but that doesn't make sense...)

Otherwise, Canadian Tire can pay BC Hydro and Terasen Gas for free, and earn 0.8% for Options MC or tiered cashback with the cashback card.