Shopping Discussion

Payless Shoe Source - Very GOOD Return Acceptance!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2009 5:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18897 posts
3559 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton

Payless Shoe Source - Very GOOD Return Acceptance!

I bought some Dexter shoes at Payless back in April.
After light usage (i.e. walking 7 minutes to work for my desk job) the soles on both shoes were breaking apart on the bottom since about a month ago. I could not walk through a puddle without getting my feet wet.

I took them back to Payless at Dixie Mall and they approved the return even before looking at the receipt. Very easy and painless.

Very nice! I'll be shopping there again!
15 replies
Jan 22, 2004
22 posts
Toronto
Same here. I bought shoes from Payless in May. Buckel came loose and I took it back with no receipt. They checked the manufacture date inside the shoe and received a new pair without hassel.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18897 posts
3559 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
For you people bashing Payless, please post some recommendations of where you buy shoes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7432 posts
888 upvotes
GTA
I love shoes. I've bought shoes at Payless before (in addition to many other stores) and haven't had any problems with the Payless shoes. I'm glad to hear they have a good return/exchange policy. You can't say that about all stores.
Oct 16, 2007
680 posts
88 upvotes
Excessiveplayer wrote: People buy shoes at payless??? wow lol..
Dude, this is RFD. If you want to laugh at people buying shoes at a discount store, go on a non-money saving forum.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6061 posts
1724 upvotes
BC
MikeJJJ wrote: get better shoes from better place
It doesn't make much difference.

Whether the brand name is, for example, Clark's, Josef Seibel, Rieker, etc., or a no-name house brand,
I've found that the uppers, soles or heels are just as likely to suffer premature failure.

They are likely made in similar factories, with similar materials, and inadequate quality control.

So, it doesn't matter whether they cost $30 or $200.

What is important is that the retailer will stand behind the manufacturer's shortcomings.

I know for sure that Sears will not do that.

Good to hear that Payless Shoe Source does.
Jul 31, 2009
202 posts
5 upvotes
macnut wrote: So, it doesn't matter whether they cost $30 or $200.
i did not say more expensive, i just said better meaning quality. In payless everything is plastic, nothing leather. there are good placed where they sell leather shoes , just wait for discounts- thats it.i have got great shoes for 70$, had it for 5 years - looks like new. Im not showing off, there are nice small places where you can get quality, return policy and good prices.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2009
1432 posts
31 upvotes
I don't own anything from Payless, but any store that has a good return policy is well respected in my mind.

Slightly on topic, but funny story:

My mom is a huge shoe fanatic and usually buys high-end designer shoes that, for the most part, are overpriced. My dad hates the way my mom, me and my sister spend, but he especially hates my mom's shoe collection. So last Christmas, he bought her a CHEAP pair of black heels from Payless (that apparently had no noticeable tag on the shoe), stuck on a REALLY realisitic looking Jimmy Choo tag, and put it in my old Jimmy Choo shoebox (that was still in good condition). He told her he bought it at Saks on a business trip in the States.

...It took her a month to realize they weren't really Jimmy Choos. I seriously had a good laugh at this. I thought she'd be smart enough to realize (I think I would realize right away), but apparently not. Obviously, she wasn't amused :P
Banned
Jul 13, 2009
82 posts
MikeJJJ wrote: get better shoes from better place
What is wrong with Dexter shoes? I have used them for years and they have never let me down. Obviously the OP just got a defective pair...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18897 posts
3559 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
gball wrote: What is wrong with Dexter shoes? I have used them for years and they have never let me down. Obviously the OP just got a defective pair...
I never said that the whole brand was defective.
This particular pair of shoes just fell apart after a few months of very light usage.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26029 posts
11477 upvotes
I admit I'm cheap and buy my non-slip shoes from them.
At $40 or $50 a pair it's not bad. And if there's a Buy One Get One deal on, it's even better.

They last upwards of a year for me.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6061 posts
1724 upvotes
BC
MikeJJJ wrote: In payless everything is plastic, nothing leather.
That is incorrect,
unless the Payless Shoe Source stores are different in Quebec.

(Most Dexter shoes have leather uppers.)

There are other similar-looking chains that do have only 100% man-made material shoes.