Personal Finance

payment paid with TD bank- unused can i get refund?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2014 7:24 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2010
1107 posts
9 upvotes

payment paid with TD bank- unused can i get refund?

a month ago I went to TD Bank to make a payment to the citizenship canada office for an application ($50). I have not sent in my application forms , payment etc to citizenship canada office, and i no longer require the form. can i go back to TD bank and get a refund?
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8314 posts
1279 upvotes
Money was sent to the government, you gotta ask them for a refund.
Money Smarts Blog wrote:
Nov 29th, 2010 11:18 am
I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2675 upvotes
Vancouver
Banks will usually request a refund on your behalf for a bill payment made in error through their system, but it may take some time, there's no guarantee that the payee will agree, and there's usually a bank fee for processing it these days.

If the payment was made by some other sort of transfer, the bank might not be able to do anything. You could request it back from Citizenship Canada, but their fine print will likely say that all fees are non-refundable. Trying to get a non-standard response out of the federal bureaucracy is probably a waste of time, especially a department with a mountain of backlogged requests that's years long. I would forget about it and save yourself the trouble for $50.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8359 posts
4092 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2014 9:48 am
Banks will usually request a refund on your behalf for a bill payment made in error through their system, but it may take some time, there's no guarantee that the payee will agree, and there's usually a bank fee for processing it these days.
+1

The bank will send a request but there is no guarantee merchant will send the funds back.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
177 upvotes
dagger88 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2014 1:57 am
a month ago I went to TD Bank to make a payment to the citizenship canada office for an application ($50). I have not sent in my application forms , payment etc to citizenship canada office, and i no longer require the form. can i go back to TD bank and get a refund?
check this out: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre ... ?q=619&t=4