Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal

Paypal account hacked.

So I just received an email from paypal detailing 4 unauthorized transactions... luckily it was 3 $1 purchases and another of $2.50...
Someone ordered a humble bundle 4 times, and it could be from Steam since I received not long ago that someone accessed my account from China.
How could they get my paypal password from Steam?...

Now I am contemplating removing my bank account from Paypal, they could have easily go through my bank account funds? Why did they only make small transactions? I swear Steam security is awful, got my account hacked into at least 3-4 times.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
I assume the small purchases where made to see if they could be made, if that makes sense.

Everyone calls me paranoid but this is exactly why I do not have my bank account or credit information stored on Pay Pal.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Could they get to your bank account though? I was under the impression that it takes 5-7 business days to complete a transfer.

How can you make an unauthorized transaction through Paypal?

As far as someone getting your Paypal password from Steam it's not very likely unless you have one password for all of your accounts.

Sorry for having more questions than answers.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: I assume the small purchases where made to see if they could be made, if that makes sense.

Everyone calls me paranoid but this is exactly why I do not have my bank account or credit information stored on Pay Pal.
How do you transfer funds to Paypal without a bank account or credit card?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
walker2238 wrote: Could they get to your bank account though? I was under the impression that it takes 5-7 business days to complete a transfer.

How can you make an unauthorized transaction through Paypal?

As far as someone getting your Paypal password from Steam it's not very likely unless you have one password for all of your accounts.

Sorry for having more questions than answers.
Aw, I meant they could easily have made a big purchase via my bank account, but yeah I guess it would have been the same thing as using my credit card since there is a delay.

And yes, I was stupid enough to share the same password... lesson learned, unique password from now on. FML.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Never pay online with a debit card/bank account...crooks can take your money and then it's up to you get it back (onus is on you to prove it was fraudulent). A credit card at least has some protections in place via chargebacks.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: Aw, I meant they could easily have made a big purchase via my bank account, but yeah I guess it would have been the same thing as using my credit card since there is a delay.

And yes, I was stupid enough to share the same password... lesson learned, unique password from now on. FML.
The only reason I ask is because you've made me paranoid now.

I suggest making unique passwords for all your important accounts. You can use software for this (I use KeePassX, Linux). Don't forget to make a backup and print out a hard copy. I too learned this the hard way but lucky for me it was just a secondary email account that was compromised.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
walker2238 wrote: The only reason I ask is because you've made me paranoid now.

I suggest making unique passwords for all your important accounts. You can use software for this (I use KeePassX, Linux). Don't forget to make a backup and print out a hard copy. I too learned this the hard way but lucky for me it was just a secondary email account that was compromised.
That's a good idea, gonna get myself a password manager, starting to have way too many accounts for everything.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: Never pay online with a debit card/bank account...crooks can take your money and then it's up to you get it back (onus is on you to prove it was fraudulent). A credit card at least has some protections in place via chargebacks.
The bank account is linked to Paypal, it's pretty secure (IMO) since it has to be verified by both your bank and Paypal (5-7 business days). So it's not the same as using Interac Online.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
walker2238 wrote: How do you transfer funds to Paypal without a bank account or credit card?
I barely use Pay Pal to be honest, any money I have in that account is a transfer from a friend(s) when we go out to lunch/dinner or whatever it maybe and I have to 'spot' them.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1176 posts
84 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Are you sure it was the paypal account that was hacked? Maybe it was still only the steam account but they gifted the games to their real account and their friends accounts.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1825 posts
625 upvotes
jrychlik wrote: Are you sure it was the paypal account that was hacked? Maybe it was still only the steam account but they gifted the games to their real account and their friends accounts.
You can not purchase the Humble Bundle from a Steam account. I never get an answer when I ask this, but why would you try to answer when you clearly have no clue?
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1176 posts
84 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Peroxide wrote: You can not purchase the Humble Bundle from a Steam account. I never get an answer when I ask this, but why would you try to answer when you clearly have no clue?
I could of swore I've seen it on the front page once but apparently not. Sorry to have ruined your day but I was just trying to help the guy out. If it was through steam he could have tracked the guy down.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7641 posts
448 upvotes
BC
WMPCOT wrote: I assume the small purchases where made to see if they could be made, if that makes sense.

It is a pain that PayPal auto save cc info. I deleted the info after the transaction went thru.
insert witty comment
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: Everyone calls me paranoid but this is exactly why I do not have my bank account or credit information stored on Pay Pal.
Kind of this. Except I do have a bank account and credit card stored on Failpal.
But they're dedicated and carry a (close to) zero balance. I just move money in as needed.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: ...And yes, I was stupid enough to share the same password... lesson learned, unique password from now on. FML.
Was your old password a word, 'cuz maybe it was a dictionary attack. My twitter account, which had a word for a password, got hacked. That's why it's more secure to have numbers and capitals in your password.

I have no idea what website "Steam" is.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
Becks wrote: Was your old password a word, 'cuz maybe it was a dictionary attack. I have no idea what website "Steam" is.
it was a word and numbers, but my steam account shared the same password, though it didnt share the same email...
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
4104 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Kind of this. Except I do have a bank account and credit card stored on Failpal.
But they're dedicated and carry a (close to) zero balance. I just move money in as needed.
That's a good idea, I had never thought about doing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)