• Feb 28th, 2011 12:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
425 posts
15 upvotes

Paypal chargeback

I recently bought a backlit keyboard for my laptop from Ebay. Finally got it after 5 weeks only to find out it was a regular keyboard without backlighting. Contacted the seller right away and was told there had been a mistake. To them, backlight meant that the back of the keyboard was smooth. They appologized and offered me $5 back ($18 full cost). I return saying I either wanted the correct item sent or a full refund so that I could buy elsewhere. They don`t respond for couple of days so I started a Paypal conflict resolution case. It`s been 3 more days and no further response from the seller. Should I just escalate to a full Paypal and then call my credit card company or wait? Anyone have any experience dealing with Paypal in this type of situaton.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0512611862
15 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15992 posts
375 upvotes
dealhunting wrote:
Feb 1st, 2011 7:08 pm
I recently bought a backlit keyboard for my laptop from Ebay. Finally got it after 5 weeks only to find out it was a regular keyboard without backlighting. Contacted the seller right away and was told there had been a mistake. To them, backlight meant that the back of the keyboard was smooth. They appologized and offered me $5 back ($18 full cost). I return saying I either wanted the correct item sent or a full refund so that I could buy elsewhere. They don`t respond for couple of days so I started a Paypal conflict resolution case. It`s been 3 more days and no further response from the seller. Should I just escalate to a full Paypal and then call my credit card company or wait? Anyone have any experience dealing with Paypal in this type of situaton.

Let paypal deal with it first.

BUT, it's from Hong Kong? I believe they're gonna take the week off for Chinese New Year which may explain why they're not checking and responding to emails.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2672 posts
257 upvotes
dragon_drift wrote:
Feb 1st, 2011 7:15 pm
Let paypal deal with it first.

BUT, it's from Hong Kong? I believe they're gonna take the week off for Chinese New Year which may explain why they're not checking and responding to emails.

+1.

have paypal deal with it.

they have 4 days to respond and take care of it as far as i know.
Jan 7, 2011
372 posts
12 upvotes
If you order something for less than $20.00 from China or Hong Kong, and it is 'not as described', it will cost more to ship back than what it is worth.

You are best off accepting the $5.00 refund.

Although it is dishonest, you will get a full refund if you just say you didn't receive it, but you can't say that now.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
16961 posts
23314 upvotes
ONTARIO
dealhunting wrote:

:lol:
That is a pretty flimsy excuse.
Sep 19, 2007
570 posts
86 upvotes
dealhunting wrote:
If they offer you a full refund, then go for it. However, I don't think it's fair if you are asking for a full refund without returning the item first.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
87 upvotes
Barrie
DipSheet2 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2011 8:12 pm
If you order something for less than $20.00 from China or Hong Kong, and it is 'not as described', it will cost more to ship back than what it is worth.You are best off accepting the $5.00 refund.

Although it is dishonest, you will get a full refund if you just say you didn't receive it, but you can't say that now.

+1 it wont be worth it since you'll have to pay for delivery confirmation/signature. If you don't they can say they never received the keyboard back and you will get nothing back.

I would take the $5 and leave negative feedback
Jul 29, 2009
162 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
Be very clear with the seller. Tell them that you are disappointed and that it's only fair they pay the return shipping because they are at fault. It's not like you changed your mind. You never got what you paid for.

Let them know that they can resolve the issue by paying the return shipping and refunding you 100%. if not you will leave negative feedback based on the service you received. Don't use the negative feedback as an outright threat. Just make it clear it's a result of the transaction.

Last thing, you filled a dispute with PayPal. This let's the seller know that you are unsatisfied, but PayPal won't take action. If you want PayPal to resolve it, you must escalate the dispute to a CLAIM. Then PayPal will get involved.

The seller will not want you ship the keyboard back at their expense. They'll probably refund 100% and tell you to keep the keyboard.

While it sucks for the seller, it isn't fair either that you have to pay extra to ship back or settle for a small refund and keep an item you didn't order. Mistakes happen, but it's the responsibility of the person at fault to eat that loss.

And this coming from someone who sells items on eBay every week. Chargebacks suck for sellers, but why should you pay for the sellers mistake?
Aug 9, 2005
764 posts
276 upvotes
Word of warning: Paypal will be totally unsympathetic to your case.

You can raise a claim, but all paypal is going to do is force you to send the item back to Hong Kong, via Registered airmail, or you won't get any $ back. You can check on CanadaPost, but something like a full sized keyboard with registered tracking is going to run you at least $40. And of course, you're not going to get these shipping costs back.

Does it make sense to pay $40 just to get $18 back? Obviously not. But most vendors (especially in Hong Kong) know that if you escalate a paypal dispute, this is going to happen, so you're not likely to get any better deal.

Ebay sellers might be pursuaded by the threat of negative feedback, but keep in mind that if you accept the $5 discount you really have no grounds to complain (since it's saying you're satisfied with the "settlement"). If you're going to leave neg feedback, make sure you don't take the $5.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
425 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks for all the replies. Still haven't gotten any response from them, but as someone mentioned, it is Chinese New Year tomorrow, so I may not get an answer until next week. In the meantime, I managed to contact a few of the other buyers this item. None of them got what the auction stated. Everyone got a normal unlit keyboard. One took the $5 refund and the other 2 are undecided on what to do. The seller "promised" all of them that it was an honest mistake and that the auction would be changed.

I guess I'll have to see how this plays out.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3404 posts
621 upvotes
I haven't done a PayPal dispute in 4 or 5 years, but back then, if the Seller didn't reply to a PayPal dispute, they automatically ruled in your favour.
Jan 3, 2010
120 posts
15 upvotes
If Paypal doesn't give you satisfaction, you can request that the seller prepay the shipping and send their courier to pick it up, or send you the label to print off and attach to the package. Paypal will require that you send the keyboard back with proof if that's what the seller requires for a refund. But if you do a chargeback on your credit card (after Paypal's resolution) your credit card company will usually only require that you have the item available for the seller to arrange for pick-up or prepaid shipping -- they're especially sympathetic when it comes to overseas purchases that were not as described or counterfeit and realize that requiring the item be shipped back will cost more than the original purchase.

Keep trying -- and next time don't buy crap from China. Buy Chinese crap from a North American seller -- much easier to return. ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1839 posts
189 upvotes
dokechi wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2011 5:14 pm
Word of warning: Paypal will be totally unsympathetic to your case.

You can raise a claim, but all paypal is going to do is force you to send the item back to Hong Kong, via Registered airmail, or you won't get any $ back. You can check on CanadaPost, but something like a full sized keyboard with registered tracking is going to run you at least $40. And of course, you're not going to get these shipping costs back.

Does it make sense to pay $40 just to get $18 back? Obviously not. But most vendors (especially in Hong Kong) know that if you escalate a paypal dispute, this is going to happen, so you're not likely to get any better deal.

Ebay sellers might be pursuaded by the threat of negative feedback, but keep in mind that if you accept the $5 discount you really have no grounds to complain (since it's saying you're satisfied with the "settlement"). If you're going to leave neg feedback, make sure you don't take the $5.

+1

Open a complaint with paypal, wait for a response (it'll usually be some BS), then forget paypal and go directly to your credit card company for a charge back. Paypal will insist that credit card charge backs aren't necessary but that's only because it usually costs them money when it does happen since they can't recoup everything from the seller.
May 4, 2004
511 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
dealhunting wrote:

I'm no expert on this, but I just went through something similar to yours. I never receive the merchandise so I filed a case via Ebay resolution center which automatically assigned a date (approx 1 week) for the seller to respond/resolve. Paypal gave me a full refund within a few days after I escalated the problem since I didn't hear anything back from the seller by the assigned deadline. When you escalate the case, Ebay takes over the it and you don't make contact with the other party anymore. Good Luck!

I think you need to go through ebay resolution center, not paypal's as other suggested. It is stated on paypal's website.

I didn’t receive the item I purchased or it’s different from the description.

Question :
Answer :

The best way to resolve a transaction problem is to communicate directly with your seller. Most sellers welcome the opportunity to work out problems and provide good customer service. If you’re unable to work things out with your seller you can report the problem in the Resolution Center.

If you purchased the item on eBay, please use the eBay Resolution Center, located at: http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/

If you purchased the item on a site other than eBay, use the PayPal Resolution Center.

To learn more about the dispute process, go to the Resolution Center and click the How to Dispute a Transaction tutorial.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2741 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
CorSter wrote:
Feb 7th, 2011 12:21 am
I haven't done a PayPal dispute in 4 or 5 years, but back then, if the Seller didn't reply to a PayPal dispute, they automatically ruled in your favour.

+1

I just recently recovered $355 from a seller who sold me a phone but never shipped it. I took about a week (I believe I filed the case on the 25th and recovered it yesterday).

I always use my CC whenever I'm purchasing anything over $50. Anything trivial, checking account would be my choice.