Personal Finance

Paypal: How to keep USD refunds as USD in paypal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2011 9:24 am
Jan 20, 2009
448 posts
29 upvotes

Paypal: How to keep USD refunds as USD in paypal?

Is there a way to keep USD refunds in paypal to be used for future purchases. As of now, my USD refunds are sent to my linked credit card and converted to CAD (canadian card). I have not linked any bank account with my paypal. I don;t have a USD bank account/credit card.
2 replies
Feb 10, 2010
65 posts
12 upvotes
Hamilton
jobby wrote: Is there a way to keep USD refunds in paypal to be used for future purchases. As of now, my USD refunds are sent to my linked credit card and converted to CAD (canadian card). I have not linked any bank account with my paypal. I don;t have a USD bank account/credit card.

You can change the primary currency so that future deposits stay in that currency. To do that, under My Account -> Overview, you will find a link to currency converter, add USD and make it your primary currency. That should do the trick.

Regards,
Yaser
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
jafaryj wrote: You can change the primary currency so that future deposits stay in that currency. To do that, under My Account -> Overview, you will find a link to currency converter, add USD and make it your primary currency. That should do the trick.

Regards,
Yaser

You don't even have to have it as your primary, you just have to add it as another currency account.

However, OP this will not solve YOUR problem. If you make a purchase with a CC, when Paypal refunds it it *ALWAYS* goes back onto the original CC, always. So you will pay double exchange. To get around this open a USD credit card at BMO or TD and add that to your account.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings