None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1164 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Paypal payment on hold

I'm selling an item on Kijiji and got one response saying they'll pay $100 more if I send it to her "clients son". They sent the money to my paypal address but I got an email saying the funds are on hold until I provide a tracking number. Thing is the delivery address is in Nigeria! I smell a scam what do you guys think? Here's a copy of the paypal email.*

We are very sorry for any inconveniences that must have occurred due to our new policy you will need to bear with us, because a sum of $250.00 CAD has been paid into your PayPal account from (removed). All you need to do is just to provide us with the shipment reference/tracking number for verification because we have a numbers of complains from our numerous customers concerning how Buyers rip Sellers and Sellers rip Buyers, we are hereby using this opportunity to inform you that your payment for your item has been made and assured you that your money is in safe hands because your payment has passed through our security department and has been approved for crediting as soon as we receive the shipment reference/tracking number for verification you will have your account credited immediately. If you have any question concerning our new policy or your payment you are free to send in your mail.
Thanks for your understanding and we hope to hear back from you with the shipment reference/tracking number for verification and crediting of your account.
Best Regards
PayPal Customer Care
5 replies
Jan 3, 2010
120 posts
15 upvotes
SCAM!

That e-mail is NOT from Paypal. It's a common scam for people to fake Paypal e-mails saying you have a payment, but that a tracking number must be provided for it to be released.

Also, anytime you're asked to ship to a son/daughter/nephew etc. in Nigeria, it's a total scam.

The very poor grammar skills should alert you to the authenticity as well.

Don't even bother responding any further. You can report the fraud attempt to wafl@phonebusters.com - forward the e-mail and headers to them, they like to keep tabs on this stuff.

Paypal has specific policies for eBay transactions these days - they institute a 21 day hold on some payments until tracking indicates it is received, but that information is in your Paypal account. It will show that you received the payment, but it is held. If your Paypal account shows no payment, you didn't receive a payment at all.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1164 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yup the bad grammar was a total tipoff plus I checked my paypal acct and there was no indication of any payments sent. Damn got my hopes up too
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8835 posts
1310 upvotes
Victoria
yup total scam.

how does providing a tracking number protect the seller from the buyer? lol.

never mail your stuff out until that cash is all yours. never ever.

plus as other people said Nigeria is a total red alert when asking for goods/services/or cash.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6217 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Really they think that email will fool people ... actually I am sure some people does get fooled :(
There's a sucker born every minute.