• Oct 12th, 2018 6:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8599 posts
848 upvotes
Toronto

PayPal Policy update 2018 Oct

We just got an email from PayPal that they are updating their policy, one of them states this

We're updating our Agreement to clarify that we may update your credit or debit card information without any action on your part, and such information may be acquired from a third party. If you do not wish to have the card information updated, you may contact your card issuer to request this, or remove the card from your PayPal Account.

What type of info of my credit or debit card are they changing? I can't think of why or what they would need to update without my knowledge??

And that part about a 3rd party can also get this info sounds bad.

Isn't the whole point of PayPal to keep my card info from the seller (3rd party?)???

Comments?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1168 posts
867 upvotes
Probably related to expiring cards. They will contact your bank to get the new exp date if your card is renewed (or a new CC number). If you contact your CC issuer and tell them don't do it then sites like paypal will not get it.

Can always contact paypal office to get the official statement.

VISA has the VISA Account Updater (VAU) service which is probably what PP wants to use.

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/download/ ... chants.pdf
Nov 7, 2016
73 posts
12 upvotes
Ontario
CC companies already do this with some places. IE: They will let CAA renew your membership on an expired card unless you tell them not to for example.
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8599 posts
848 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks all.

Any danger in this?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2664 posts
564 upvotes
Quebec
Yes. Privacy danger and u lost the control to who u want to share these info.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12840 posts
3212 upvotes
Montreal
IcarusLSC wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 11:10 pm
CC companies already do this with some places. IE: They will let CAA renew your membership on an expired card unless you tell them not to for example.
Great policy, especially if you're dead.
Jul 13, 2007
684 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:26 pm
Who would pay the bill?
The credit card company will claim it against your estate.

I once had a US$ credit card (BMO) that had to be paid in-person. So I prepaid a largeish chunk of money to cover the one sole company's recurring expense on it. Then that company started charging way more until I got a surprise call from BMO wondering when I would pay my bill.

That company was Rackspace. Back then, they didn't send out monthly email invoices. Unless you logged in, you didn't see what your bill was.

My plan to keep my hosting humming along without effort was foiled. We asked them if they could give us a goodwill credit, but they refused. Then I switched everything to AWS and couldn't be happier. AWS was far cheaper and when I complained about a very small charge, they effectively gave me 6 months free.
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.