Paypal to release business data to CRA starting with 2014

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 8:34 pm
[OP]
Aug 5, 2008
659 posts
167 upvotes

Paypal to release business data to CRA starting with 2014

Probably something they should have started long ago. Buckle up if you hadn't declared your PayPal 'hobby' income.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/selfhelp/arti ... st-faq3755
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
6 replies
Sep 6, 2011
2 posts
If I understand if I have a personal account i’m Ok? But after how much transactions they change my account for a business one?
[OP]
Aug 5, 2008
659 posts
167 upvotes
jonkiller wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 6:08 pm
If I understand if I have a personal account i’m Ok? But after how much transactions they change my account for a business one?
It's in the article. It seems you are OK, but I would expect CRA to go after individual data as well.

every individual or corporation holding a business account

I have a PayPal account, how can I check if I have a personal or business account?
Log in to your PayPal account and select the Accounts tab. If you see an “Upgrade to a Business account” under Account Options, then you have a personal account.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Feb 27, 2015
72 posts
37 upvotes
Newcastle, ON
Haven't they been getting ebay data for years now? Or now they're targeting small businesses using Paypal?
Jul 19, 2010
14 posts
4 upvotes
There are rules about selling personal items - garage sale-type income, online sales of personal items - and when you need to claim them as income. I imagine the main purpose of this is to go after undeclared corporate income, and probably some FINTRAC-related information for laundering or cross-border transactions.

I imagine they'll be going trying to figure out how to go after bitcoin transactions soon, for similar reasons.
Dec 7, 2016
91 posts
25 upvotes
I'm glad I've been honest with my paypal income, I dont trust the govt. to not come after the little guy.