• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2019 5:58 pm
[OP]
Jun 5, 2012
11 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO

PayPal - USD Payment to Me

So, I will be collecting payments from people from all over the world via Money Pool. This is to pay for an event on a Disney Cruise - a group event, but it will be charged to my stateroom account on board. I have a PayPal account linked to my Canadian credit card and bank account. My thought was, I could have everyone pay their share in USD via Money Pool. Then, I could use that money to purchase a Disney Gift Card via PayPal as payment method...but now I'm wondering if this will work at all.

When people pay me in USD, will it automatically convert into Canadian dollars when I see it in my PayPal account? Will I have already incurred the exchange fees when I go to use the money in the PayPal account for a purchase?

Thanks
6 replies
Sep 24, 2004
561 posts
143 upvotes
Scarborough
My Canadian PayPal account maintains funds in both currencies. I've received funds in both currencies and it maintains a separate balance. I also have credit cards in both currencies attached to my account.

Suggest giving PayPal a call and confirm if the same will hold true for your account.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1707 posts
1267 upvotes
Toronto
It'll be listed as USD on your account. If it's your first time receiving another currency it may even ask you if you want to convert it to CAD, which you can deny.

I've received lots of USD and EUROs on my PayPal account for the past few years.

They are all listed separately
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1505 posts
651 upvotes
London
YYZ1974 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 11:28 am
So, I will be collecting payments from people from all over the world via Money Pool. This is to pay for an event on a Disney Cruise - a group event, but it will be charged to my stateroom account on board. I have a PayPal account linked to my Canadian credit card and bank account. My thought was, I could have everyone pay their share in USD via Money Pool. Then, I could use that money to purchase a Disney Gift Card via PayPal as payment method...but now I'm wondering if this will work at all.

When people pay me in USD, will it automatically convert into Canadian dollars when I see it in my PayPal account? Will I have already incurred the exchange fees when I go to use the money in the PayPal account for a purchase?

Thanks
one thing u might want to check though is that there website is setup to take payment though a Canadian paypal account. i know several us website set there's up to only accept payment from a us paypal account.
Nov 12, 2012
494 posts
207 upvotes
Port Moody
I get payments in my PayPal account in US funds sometimes from eBay sales and have a US funds wallet, which can be used for US purchases. That being said, I rarely use it because I prefer the security of using my credit card for all purchases.

When I'm ready to transfer to my attached bank account, I simply convert the money in my wallet to CAD and then transfer to my bank account. I recall the rate being bad and a nominal fee being charged, but other than that, it's easy.

If you can be sent CAD funds, that may save some in fees and conversion...and then you can just use your credit card when the time comes for the cruise. Maybe the exchange rate will be better by then...

Also keep in mind that your stateroom bill will likely be charged to your credit card, perhaps without the option of separating your group event to be paid via gift card.
[OP]
Jun 5, 2012
11 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO
pokee99 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 4:38 pm

Also keep in mind that your stateroom bill will likely be charged to your credit card, perhaps without the option of separating your group event to be paid via gift card.
Thankfully, this I have confirmed (and paid my Disney Cruise onboard account with gift cards before. They also allow you to put it in a credit balance prior to sailing, so the plan is to load the card onto my account before they even charge me. And have double checked I can do that with this particular charge!
[OP]
Jun 5, 2012
11 posts
3 upvotes
TORONTO
sudesingh wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 12:41 pm
My Canadian PayPal account maintains funds in both currencies. I've received funds in both currencies and it maintains a separate balance. I also have credit cards in both currencies attached to my account.

Suggest giving PayPal a call and confirm if the same will hold true for your account.
Thanks, I will give them a call as it does look like from responses here it is possible to receive it and keep it in USD, I've just never done it :-)