Personal Finance

Payroll Direct Deposit Ceridian. Tangerine Advantage?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2018 6:00 am
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
443 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Payroll Direct Deposit Ceridian. Tangerine Advantage?

I've been working at the same company for almost 9 years.
I've been enrolled for direct-deposit since I started. We are paid bi-weekly on Fridays.
At first, I had my pay deposited to my PCF Chequing Account.
About a year ago, I switched and directed my pay to be deposited to my Tangerine Chequing Account.

I always get my Ceridian paystub via ePost on Thursdays of a pay-week.

When I had my pay deposited to PCF, the funds arrived Friday ~ 2AM ET.
Now that I've had my pay deposited to Tangerine, the funds arrive Thursday ~ 8PM ET. At first, I was surprised to see the funds show up on Thursday evening. After all, my payday was 'Friday'.

What's your experience? Do people who direct deposit to Tangerine get their funds on a calendar day ahead of others?

If you are enrolled for direct pay deposit with a Friday payday,

1. when do you see funds in your account?
2. In which financial institution do you have your pay direct deposited?
Last edited by 905P4N6 on Feb 1st, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
34 replies
Apr 22, 2014
499 posts
239 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Yes, you get it sooner at Tangerine than anywhere else. At least in my experience.
Nov 8, 2017
632 posts
261 upvotes
I get half my pay direct deposit to BMO. Shows 9pm Thursday night
Nov 8, 2017
632 posts
261 upvotes
philland wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 9:08 pm
Yes, you get it sooner at Tangerine than anywhere else. At least in my experience.
Mine shows up 9pm Thursday I'm with BMO.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1315 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto, ON
User455957 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 11:04 pm
I get half my pay direct deposit to BMO. Shows 9pm Thursday night
What about the other half? A different bank? Cheque?
Nov 8, 2017
632 posts
261 upvotes
FoFai2015 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 11:12 pm
What about the other half? A different bank? Cheque?
CIBC PLOC
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
443 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto, ON
westcoastyvr wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 11:37 pm
Ceridian with Tang. Thurs 8pm ET.
Exactly same with me!
I wonder if this means that our friends on the west coast get their funds @ ~ 5PM pacific time!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21201 posts
2060 upvotes
There was a thread on this before. Tangerine was always Thursday.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
1393 posts
600 upvotes
GTA
ADP based payroll (not sure if ADP has anything to do with the funds) but ADP payroll hits Tangerine at 8-8:15PM EST on Thursday consistently.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3248 posts
2186 upvotes
Banks deposit funds marked for the next day any time after banking closes on the current day, so it could show up at any time overnight depending on their process. Usually you can't withdraw the funds until the next day anyway, and sometimes only your "total funds" changes and you don't see the actual deposit in your history until the end of the next day. That varies by bank (I can control where my payroll goes easily, so I've shuffled it around a few different banks to qualify for their payroll deposit deals).
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
443 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 10:30 am
Banks deposit funds marked for the next day any time after banking closes on the current day, so it could show up at any time overnight depending on their process. Usually you can't withdraw the funds until the next day anyway, and sometimes only your "total funds" changes and you don't see the actual deposit in your history until the end of the next day. That varies by bank (I can control where my payroll goes easily, so I've shuffled it around a few different banks to qualify for their payroll deposit deals).
I can say with certainty that I can withdraw funds as soon as they appear in my account. Two weeks ago, I had a zero balance in my Tangerine Chequing account on Wednesday before payday and saw the pay direct deposited @ 8PM EST on Thursday and withdrew funds @ a Scotiabank ATM at 9PM before seeing a movie (Star Wars : The Last Jedi).
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2010
1393 posts
600 upvotes
GTA
905P4N6 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 10:39 am
I can say with certainty that I can withdraw funds as soon as they appear in my account. Two weeks ago, I had a zero balance in my Tangerine Chequing account on Wednesday before payday and saw the pay direct deposited @ 8PM EST on Thursday and withdrew funds @ a Scotiabank ATM at 9PM before seeing a movie (Star Wars : The Last Jedi).
I too can use the funds right away, paid bills minutes later literally.
Nov 8, 2017
632 posts
261 upvotes
I can use my funds(BMO) Thursday night as well.
Not that I need too, it's not like I'm living a feast or famine lifestyle
Nov 30, 2011
851 posts
276 upvotes
GTA
905P4N6 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2018 6:00 am
I wonder if this means that our friends on the west coast get their funds @ ~ 5PM pacific time!
That is correct. I often work in Vancouver and when I check my account balance on Thursday @ 5:01pm PT, the deposit is there.