• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 10:04 am
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
524 posts
108 upvotes

Payroll service

My wife has a small business with occasional part time workers during peak season. Generally the same folks averaging 20-40 hours a month and occasionally a few people that will work a couple weeks a year.

We are looking for a simple and convenient solution for payroll. We want to report hours worked and have payroll run monthly with the appropriate reimbursement to the CRA, correct CPP/EI calculated etc. We have received recommendations for ADP and Ceridian. Anyone have experience with either and any others we should consider? What will the service fee cost us if we are doing monthly payroll for 5 part time employees each month?

Thanks.
2 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3880 posts
1221 upvotes
markham
callmebob wrote:
Dec 10th, 2018 1:51 am
My wife has a small business with occasional part time workers during peak season. Generally the same folks averaging 20-40 hours a month and occasionally a few people that will work a couple weeks a year.

We are looking for a simple and convenient solution for payroll. We want to report hours worked and have payroll run monthly with the appropriate reimbursement to the CRA, correct CPP/EI calculated etc. We have received recommendations for ADP and Ceridian. Anyone have experience with either and any others we should consider? What will the service fee cost us if we are doing monthly payroll for 5 part time employees each month?

Thanks.
i have been using ADP for about 3 years now...works good..price is fair and it work for me...costs about $45 a run for 15 employees...no issues so far. T4's ROE and such whenever needed...user friendly employee loggins for stubs and such.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2763 upvotes
ADP and Ceridian are the "big 2" payroll processors in Canada. They are primarily oriented to serve big business, and you can expect them to be relatively expensive and unresponsive to small business issues.

There are companies that cater to small business with less expensive online payroll services. We use Payment Evolution, and you'll find them and some other alternatives mentioned in payroll threads here in this forum. They offer free use for a small number of employees (5 or less I think?), modest monthly fee for more employees. Bank direct deposit service for a small per-transaction fee. Easy tax calculation and remittance. They don't have the easiest user interface, and they assume that you know what you're doing on payroll and accounting issues and terminology, but still way less frustrating to set up and deal with than ADP (personal experience!).

They can calculate standard payroll taxes for you, accumulate them in a tax account, and remit them to the CRA on command - but you have to issue that command, probably on a monthly basis.

If you have other deductions, like employee benefits, you will have to figure out how much to charge and which are taxable or non-taxable, and tell the payroll processor.