paystub generator - small business

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2017 11:55 am
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3776 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
I think wave accounting is your best bet for pay stubs only without direct deposit. You can cut and paste the pay stub info without running payroll (which bills you $3/employee). What I do is create an MS Word or Excel pay stub template with the employees info at the top, and then highlight the pay stub info from wave accounting, cut and paste onto the template.

As for direct deposit, as far as I know, RBC is the only bank that has a "pay employee" feature. It costs 80 cents per transaction.
Sep 4, 2009
4 posts
4 upvotes
sat981 wrote:
May 8th, 2012 11:16 pm
Hi, Anybody know good paystub generator, own a small buisness and looking to start a payroll first time.
looked in google but nothing found for Canada so far..
Thx..
Follow the link Ive pasted at the bottom of this to a free Canada payroll software download, you can use the online version or download it the software to your computer. I use it for my landscape co. in BC Once you've filled it out, you just print it off and walla!!, there's your stub! I really hope this is what you need and I hope it helps you..please let me know if this is what u needed,via transformerslandscape@gmail.com
PS. I do have some other free Canadian 'pay stub generator' software links if u need them..

http://helpsme.com/tools/free-canadian- ... calculator

Features include:

Calculates federal and provincial (including Quebec) payroll deductions
Calculates employment insurance (EI), Canada Pension Plan (CPP) as well as province specific deductions.
Payroll deductions calculations for regular salary, bonuses and retroactive pay
Printable report includes employee payroll deductions and employer contribution amounts
Report includes instructions on how much to remit to the government
Social insurance number (SIN) validator
Information entered is not stored by us or any third party
The latest tax tables - January & July 2012
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1803 posts
221 upvotes
Calgary
We have less than a dozen employees and my bookkeeper has just been doing the paystubs manually using CRA's PDOC tool like several of the other posters. We do pay them all by EFT through one of our Beanstream accounts. I need the Beanstream accounts for other activities so it wouldn't necesarily be cost effective for a few dozen payroll EFT's if that was all it was used for. (so that's another thread)

Thanks to Ladyjuliafish and Tarabryan for both pointing out the helpsme.com site. I think their free tool will simplify things a bit for my bookkeeper so I think I'll have her start using it. I had a quick look at the site and there is a considerable quantity of other useful material on their site in addition to the payroll. It doesn't specifically say where they are based but the online bio says the guy graduated from McGill so it could be based in Montreal.
Jul 25, 2008
213 posts
52 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Hmm what would you like to see on the paystub, maybe we can whip a quick free public one online :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2654 upvotes
Vancouver
There's a lot of different solutions because there are a lot of different needs.

The big payroll processors like ADP and Ceridian can offload the whole job of running the payroll, paying employees by cheque or direct deposit, remitting taxes to the CRA, providing reports, generating T4s and ROEs, and keeping up with any tax changes by the CRA. They charge a hefty fee for their service, but it's not huge in the context of all the other expenses of running a small business. The down-side is that you lose some direct control over your payroll processing, and they can be a little slow to respond when you need changes.

Quickbooks Payroll is a good option for calculating payroll and generating pay stubs if your small business accounting is already done with Quickbooks. It eliminates the need to transfer information between systems, and there's little extra effort if you print paycheques from the software along with your other cheques. However there is a fairly high monthly subscription fee (currently $70/month, although frequently discounted), and it doesn't take care of direct deposit or remitting taxes to the CRA. You may need to pay for additional services and still end up doing some manual data transfer between systems.

Of the newer online services, I think Payment Evolution is the most interesting for two reasons:
- They offer a free payroll service for businesses with 1-5 employees, so it's easy to start small.
- They have partner services available to handle both direct deposit and CRA tax remittance online at a very low cost compared to others.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3776 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
I currently use Quickbooks Payroll. To get the best deal, it's best to call and order the software. I paid $199 for the Quickbooks Pro and $15/month for the payroll addition. Very cost effective in my situation.
Jan 11, 2012
53 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
tarabryan wrote:
Oct 15th, 2012 8:03 am
Follow the link Ive pasted at the bottom of this to a free Canada payroll software download, you can use the online version or download it the software to your computer. I use it for my landscape co. in BC Once you've filled it out, you just print it off and walla!!, there's your stub! I really hope this is what you need and I hope it helps you..please let me know if this is what u needed,via transformerslandscape@gmail.com
PS. I do have some other free Canadian 'pay stub generator' software links if u need them..

http://helpsme.com/tools/free-canadian- ... calculator

Features include:

Calculates federal and provincial (including Quebec) payroll deductions
Calculates employment insurance (EI), Canada Pension Plan (CPP) as well as province specific deductions.
Payroll deductions calculations for regular salary, bonuses and retroactive pay
Printable report includes employee payroll deductions and employer contribution amounts
Report includes instructions on how much to remit to the government
Social insurance number (SIN) validator
Information entered is not stored by us or any third party
The latest tax tables - January & July 2012
TY for the excellent info
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2654 upvotes
Vancouver
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
May 17th, 2012 3:03 am
As for direct deposit, as far as I know, RBC is the only bank that has a "pay employee" feature. It costs 80 cents per transaction.
I didn't know about that, thanks. I see that they have a $5000 per day limit, which would prevent use for payroll for more than a couple of employees, but there's an "enhanced security option" to increase the limit. Any idea how that works or what it costs?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1438 posts
41 upvotes
York Region
sorry for bumping up the zombi thread....

i have tried going to this link but the calculator is not available anymore.
I need to provide a paystub for myself from our corporation for HELOC approval.

Does anyone know any other paystub templates?
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8912 posts
724 upvotes
GTA
edkate wrote:
Apr 5th, 2017 8:41 pm

I need to provide a paystub for myself from our corporation for HELOC approval.
Wouldn't they accept a T4? I imagine you T4 out every year? That would seem like the best type of documentation for a lender to have.

We just print out the CRA website payroll sheet when we do our payroll.
Feb 19, 2013
228 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
I use Waveapps. Lot of features like Invoice, Account transactions (linked with your bank account). Payroll Taxes payed directly to CRA etc.

If your requirement is just to create a paystub then just go with the CRA calculator.
Oct 11, 2012
56 posts
39 upvotes
TORONTO
Chiming in here. ADP and Ceridian are common choices within Canada. They take care of everything for you - paying your employees, tax remittances, generating T4s and ROEs, etc., but I find them difficult to use and also pricey, especially when you are a small business running payroll for the first time. It's also difficult to reach customer service if you ever need any help or assistance.

You should check out Knit Apps in Canada. They offer everything small businesses would need to run payroll that I mentioned above and it's completely free.

I personally think that you shouldn't have to pay to pay your employees, especially as a small business.