Expired Hot Deals

[Paytm] 2% cashback + promo codes on various billers + student/alumni signup discount

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2018 5:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5620 posts
1695 upvotes
North York

2% cashback + promo codes on various billers + student/alumni signup discount

Deal Link:
Expiry:
February 1, 2018
Retailer:
Paytm
The 2% cashback on bill payments for the month of January has ended (well apparently someone here confirmed the code is still working!)
For those who completed $1000 of payments in January, check your account. You should have received the extra $20.

The $10 promo codes for various phones/utilities/government billers are also still valid. The $20 student signup discount remain available as well. You may even get the discount registering with your alumni email address.

I'll use this thread to update any new promotions available in February.

Will I receive 2% Cashback on all my bill payments?
Beginning January 10, 2018 until January 31, 2018 all customers will receive 2% Cashback when they make a bill payment to any biller, any amount and use any payment method.
The maximum Cashback per customer for the month of January will be $20.

Do I need to enter a promo code to receive the 2% Cashback?
No, you don’t need a promo code. Just continue to pay your bills using the Paytm app, and we’ll take care of the rest.

How and when will I receive the Cashback amount?
The Cashback amount will automatically appear in your Paytm Cash. You will receive it on February 1, 2018 upon successfully completed transactions.
Check your email for regular updates on the Cashback amount(s) that you have earned with every bill payment.

What are the restrictions, for bill payments, to earn the Cashback?
To earn the Cashback, there aren’t any restrictions. Just make a bill payment to any biller, any amount and use any payment method.
We have over 5000 billers on the Paytm app! Find yours today: Fido, Rogers, Telus, Wind, Bell Canada, BC Hydro, and Toronto Hydro to name a few.

Why is this a HOT deal?
1) PayTM lets you pay most bills like Utilities or Property taxes with a MasterCard without any fee (used to be all CCs, but they recently made it MasterCard only for the fee free option);
2) with the above you get credit card rewards you wouldn’t have otherwise;
3) If you don't have a Paytm, ask someone for a referral code to get an additional $10 from Paytm when you successfully completes payments adding up to $50+.

Are there any bonus promo codes?
On top of the $10 referral credit, you get the following bonuses using the following promo codes:
$10 on a Fido payment: FIDO
$10 on a Koodo payment: KOODO
$10 on a Rogers payment: ROGERS
$10 on a Bell payment: BELL
$10 on a Telus payment: TELUS
$10 on Freedom (Wind) Mobile payment: FREEDOM
$10 on a Virgin Mobile payment: VIRGIN
$10 on an Enbridge payment: ENBRIDGE
$10 on Toronto Hydro Payment: HYDRO
$10 on Vancouver property tax: VANCOUVER
$10 on Markham property tax: MARKHAM
Must be a min $50 payment. And YES you can use all of them ONCE EACH.

What about student discount?
Signup using your student email from the following colleges and receive $20 bonus:
Carleton University
Dalhousie University
McGill University
Queen's University
Ryerson University
Seneca College
Simon Fraser University
Trent University
University of Alberta
University of Calgary
University of Guelph
University of Ottawa
University of Toronto
University of Waterloo
University of Windsor
Western University

Added by Mod - Do not post or request referral codes on this site
Last edited by DragonRider on Jan 16th, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Thread Summary
No, you cannot pay a credit card with another credit card through PayTM; however, you can pay the credit card through PayTM using your linked bank account can it would apply towards the 2% cashback
1326 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11520 posts
1436 upvotes
stratux wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 6:51 pm
$20 max only BS
so $1000 paid bills max rewards.... Cold
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5620 posts
1695 upvotes
North York
stratux wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 6:51 pm
$20 max only BS
qaz393 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 6:54 pm
so $1000 paid bills max rewards.... Cold
Where else can you get ANY cashback on bill payments ??
And this is in additional to your credit card rewards.

Additional $10 if you use a referral as new member.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
9529 posts
3803 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WhatADeal! wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 6:57 pm
Where else can you get ANY cashback on bill payments ??
And this is in additional to your credit card rewards.

Additional $10 if you use a referral as new member.
Yup been using using paytm with my cashback MC which is the real advantage being able to pay utilities and property taxes.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
1111 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed on your first point. Paying bill and earn 2% is pretty decent. Now that PayTM charges the 2% convenience charge, it makes paying with cc worthwhile too. However it seems you can only use MC now as AMEX and Visa recognizes the transaction as a cash advancement.

Regardless of the promo, I just make sure I pay about $500 of my bills via PayTM every two months, which makes me a PayTM VIp. Then I am eligible to earn bonus PayTM cash which I can use to buy gift cards.
Apr 4, 2017
535 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
What's fee to use paytm? 20 is nothing...
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1032 posts
281 upvotes
Hamilton
heymanwuzup wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 7:06 pm
Agreed on your first point. Paying bill and earn 2% is pretty decent. Now that PayTM charges the 2% convenience charge, it makes paying with cc worthwhile too. However it seems you can only use MC now as AMEX and Visa recognizes the transaction as a cash advancement.

Regardless of the promo, I just make sure I pay about $500 of my bills via PayTM every two months, which makes me a PayTM VIp. Then I am eligible to earn bonus PayTM cash which I can use to buy gift cards.
I don't get it. You pay 2% convenience charge, doesn't that exactly cancel out the 2% cash back? So they you have to pay your credit card's cash advance fee, maybe 4%+interest. So now you are about 5% in the hole. Is there something I'm missing here? Why not just pay your bill from your checking account, and avoid all these extra charges?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16170 posts
2154 upvotes
Toronto
A lot of hate for the app: OP didn’t give a full description.

1) PayTM lets you pay most bills like Utilities or Property taxes with a MasterCard without any fee (used to be all CCs, but they recently made it MasterCard only for the fee free option)
2) with the above you get credit card rewards you wouldn’t have otherwise
3) on top of that you get 2% cashback through PayTM which you can use towards bill payments as well, it’s not just “rewards”
4) you also get a $10 sign up bonus if you sign up via a referral
Current Offer: AMEX with $400 (or 40k Aeroplan Miles) Sign Up Bonus + First Year Free+ $50 BONUS CASHBACK
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16170 posts
2154 upvotes
Toronto
Because there’s so much misconception, see attached screenshot.

THERE IS NO CONVENIENCE XHARGE FOR USING MASTER CARD

YOU CAN USE AMEX @2% convenience charge

YOU CANNOT USE VISA.
Images
  • AAF06CB7-64BE-4D0E-999A-A9B38F551FF9.jpeg
Current Offer: AMEX with $400 (or 40k Aeroplan Miles) Sign Up Bonus + First Year Free+ $50 BONUS CASHBACK
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2176 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
I've used Paytm since June 2017 - it's awesome.

Paying Toronto Hydro & Toronto Property tax w/ C1 Aspire WE MC.. 2% back!

Better than nothing..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5814 posts
958 upvotes
Mont-Royal
So RWE works? No fees ? Means U get 2% of RWE Mc and 2% from this? 4%?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4689 posts
267 upvotes
How do they make money when they have to pay Mastercard fees and YOU 2% cashback?