Expired Hot Deals

[Paytm] 2% cashback + promo codes on various billers + student/alumni signup discount

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2019 11:23 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8588 posts
1655 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Bad news, bank account just verified...looks like numbers of payees are not available in QC...?

So far I've tried Tangerine and Fonds FTQ.

That's a big waste of time.
Jan 23, 2002
248 posts
23 upvotes
Markham
tragd wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 10:29 am
I got a cash advance charge after paying my property taxes with my mastercard. Did anyone else get this?
Oh no. I just paid my Markham property tax installment this morning with my Walmart MC. I even confirmed with PayTM that it wouldn't be charged as a cash advance too. It hasn't posted so will update once it does.
Koodo $40 6GB
PM $40 4.5GB
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4498 posts
1442 upvotes
Soler wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 12:06 pm
Oh no. I just paid my Markham property tax installment this morning with my Walmart MC. I even confirmed with PayTM that it wouldn't be charged as a cash advance too. It hasn't posted so will update once it does.
If Mastercard payments end up being cash advances, paytm is going to receive a lot of complaints. I know I asked them before making any payments and they reassured me that there would be no cash advance fee for using a mastercard. On a side note, if you log into your mastercard account online, should it not show online how the payment was categorized? I have never used the cash advance feature so I don't know what to look for.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9942 posts
9161 upvotes
choclover wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 12:09 pm
If Mastercard payments end up being cash advances, paytm is going to receive a lot of complaints. I know I asked them before making any payments and they reassured me that there would be no cash advance fee for using a mastercard. On a side note, if you log into your mastercard account online, should it not show online how the payment was categorized? I have never used the cash advance feature so I don't know what to look for.
CC company charges cash advance fee between $3.5 to $5. If you see that charge online, your transaction is a cash advance. The interest charge will be appeared in your next CC statement.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $38 5GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1063 posts
369 upvotes
For Telus and Rogers I already have automatic billing set up. If I just used PayTM to put in $50 each into those accounts to get the bonus, will Telus and Rogers just deduct the remaing balance on my next bill and not affect my future auto payments?
Sep 12, 2012
597 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 12:14 pm
CC company charges cash advance fee between $3.5 to $5. If you see that charge online, your transaction is a cash advance. The interest charge will be appeared in your next CC statement.
Would you see the cash advance fee while the charge is pending? Or will you start to see the cash advance fee once the charge has settled into your account?
Jan 7, 2006
341 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
I paid a hydro and enbridge bill with a PC Mastercard, they showed up as mail/phone order.
Sep 12, 2012
597 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
CantMissADeal wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 12:17 pm
For Telus and Rogers I already have automatic billing set up. If I just used PayTM to put in $50 each into those accounts to get the bonus, will Telus and Rogers just deduct the remaing balance on my next bill and not affect my future auto payments?
I have automatic billing with Rogers as well but I paid $50 to my Rogers account through Paytm to get the $10 credit (Paytm credit by the way to be clear). I am assuming Rogers will charge your credit card the remaining balance due as long as the Paytm charge reaches Rogers before Rogers charges your credit card.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
9942 posts
9161 upvotes
hamandcheese wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 12:22 pm
Would you see the cash advance fee while the charge is pending? Or will you start to see the cash advance fee once the charge has settled into your account?
JMO, I don't think cash advance fee will not be charged until your transaction is posted.
You can review the transaction details while it is pending. If the transaction type is purchase, you are safe. 1 week ago, I did a $10 payment using my PC WE MC. It shows up as purchase. There is no cash advance fee.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $38 5GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
6208 posts
1855 upvotes
Kevin711 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 12:24 pm
I paid a hydro and enbridge bill with a PC Mastercard, they showed up as mail/phone order.
Same here (re: Mail/Phone order) ... Paid Rogers bill with my 1.75% cash back Rogers MC ... -- pending as normal transaction "mail/phone order"

Merchant: PAYTM-ROGERS 9 DIGI...
May 14, 2015
156 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Maybe it is just MBNA who is categorizing this as cash advance.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5686 posts
1357 upvotes
GTA
forumw wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 1:31 pm
How do you know when looking at online details of account if its cash advance or regular charge?
Sep 12, 2012
597 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
forumw wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 1:31 pm
Another poster stated that they've been using their MBNA for over a year.
deal_with_singh wrote:
Jan 25th, 2018 11:44 am
I've been paying using my MBNA for over a year. If this is a recent change, I'm screwed. Just spent over 4k this month alone through PayTM on my MBNA.
Dec 21, 2006
241 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I pay Bell Internet bill through PayTM using Tangerine MC. It does not treat as bill payment on the transaction.
Anyone can confirm this?
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
4498 posts
1442 upvotes
Something doesn't make sense because I paid BC Hydro and Fortis Gas with MBNA mastercard and didn't see a cash advance charge as a separate line item. Maybe it doesn't appear until the statement is printed or the charge isn't consistent. Could the cash advance fee also depend on whether one has exceeded their credit limit on their MBNA mastercard. I have heard that some credit cards will let you spend over your credit limit but then you might get extra fees. I'm hoping the cash advance fee is the exception and not the rule because paytm assured me that there were no cash advance fees for mastercard unlike visa which they have now disabled on their platform.