Credit Cards

Paytm: Pay House Bills with any MC, no referrals in thread, no pay CC with CC - Officially USELESS?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2022 11:00 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
djino wrote: I haven't yet completed the transaction yet, but I've gone all the way to the last payment page with Revenu Quebec as the bill payee and my MBNA RWE MC as the payment method, with no issues.

djino
LuxErus wrote: That's odd, I get the message about having to link a bank account and if I ignore it, it reappears when I try "proceed to pay". I'll try contacting PayTM.
Yes ... more likely it's like that ... makes sense.

CRA used to be the same way in the past ... firstly we could pay CRA with credit card .... and then we couldn't ...

But ability was still shown there ... and some people were still implying that we could use credit card to pay CRA ...

But once one tried to actually pay it (not just see credit card bill payment method still showing for that biller) -- they were denied .. and message appeared that they could only pay that biller with a bank account, ... and not a credit card.
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
djino wrote: I haven't yet completed the transaction yet, but I've gone all the way to the last payment page with Revenu Quebec as the bill payee and my MBNA RWE MC as the payment method, with no issues.

djino
You try to complete the transaction ... and see what occurs next ;)

(Refer to my above post ... That's my take on this)
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
LuxErus wrote: That's odd, I get the message about having to link a bank account and if I ignore it, it reappears when I try "proceed to pay". I'll try contacting PayTM.
That’s how it should be, they don’t allow those bills to be paid by CC.
Wealthsimple Premium
Mar 14, 2010
105 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know how long it takes for PayTM to "replenish" the amount you can pay?

For example, if you were to pay a $1500 bill... how long would it take to be able to pay $1500 again?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
changetomorrowtoday wrote: Does anyone know how long it takes for PayTM to "replenish" the amount you can pay?

For example, if you were to pay a $1500 bill... how long would it take to be able to pay $1500 again?
It comes back in $300-$500 daily increments.
If you haven't made any new payments; try another payment of $1500 on day two or three to confirm.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Seems in order to link a bank account all that's required is institution, transit and account numbers + name. Does payTM gets anything else, like DOB associated with the chequing account? I used a fake DOB when I opened my PayTM account.

If payTM only gets the 3 numbers to link the bank account, I don't see any risk in linking it (no personal info is given like SIN or DOB associated with the chequing account). If anything I guess, one could link a secondary chequing, and only transfer money in there that you plan to pay with payTM no?
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
3946 posts
2935 upvotes
Markham
When I pay with paytm cash already in account or from bank account, is there still a daily limit how much I can pay ?
Dec 13, 2014
137 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone unable to link their CoT property tax account? I'm guessing it has something to do with some leading/lagging zeros or special characters in the format. I haven't figured it out yet.
May 9, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
billyea wrote: Yeah the payment was accepted and even shows up as received if you query my place on the City of Toronto Property Tax website.

What I expected would happen: The extra payment through Paytm would reduce the next PAD the City takes from my bank.
What actually happened: The extra payment was ignored and the City charged the same PAD.

I'd like to keep the PAD (for safety in case I forget a bill), but make them use the funds paid through Paytm to reduce the next payment.

As for your Toronto Hydro case, I've found that they will also not reduce your PAD even if you pay the bill through Paytm. I don't mind it so much there because they will credit the extra payment on your next bill. Only Enbridge seems to not double-dip.

My Toronto Hydro payment went through. I'm debating now on whether to cancel the PAD or not. I will have to wait till March 28 to see if they double dip or not. If they still debit through PAD and credit the next bill, that would defeat the purpose of using PayTM as the next payment would still be coming from the bank account. I'll try Enbridge for the next bill.
Nov 24, 2016
684 posts
992 upvotes
Wait, can we pay tuition using this method? I'm going to law school next year and the total cost of tuition will be over 36k. I was thinking of getting a cash back credit card, but didn't know how I could link it. Will this app let me do this? Can I get any cash back card or does it have to be one of the ones listed on the first page?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1451 posts
302 upvotes
Markham
MashGhasem wrote: Wait, can we pay tuition using this method? I'm going to law school next year and the total cost of tuition will be over 36k. I was thinking of getting a cash back credit card, but didn't know how I could link it. Will this app let me do this? Can I get any cash back card or does it have to be one of the ones listed on the first page?
I see a tab with all the various universities listed. So, most likely, you can.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1451 posts
302 upvotes
Markham
l4rry5y wrote: My Toronto Hydro payment went through. I'm debating now on whether to cancel the PAD or not. I will have to wait till March 28 to see if they double dip or not. If they still debit through PAD and credit the next bill, that would defeat the purpose of using PayTM as the next payment would still be coming from the bank account. I'll try Enbridge for the next bill.
I see PAD autopay as a protection against my own forgetfulness to pay through payTM. Most systems with PAD will only debit you the remaining balance of your bill. But if you cut too close to the deadline to use payTM, the PAD may not detect your payment in time, and you end up double-paying.
Nov 24, 2016
684 posts
992 upvotes
enigma0t2 wrote: I see a tab with all the various universities listed. So, most likely, you can.
Thanks. Will download the app right now.

Now have to figure out the best card to get. Cashback vs other rewards cards. 2% on 36k is 720 bucks. Not bad I guess. Certainly better than the stupid aeroplan Visa I have now (tired of paying ridiculous aiport/Air Canada fees on supposedly free tickets when I can get much better deals flying with smaller airlines).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
6184 posts
4811 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
MashGhasem wrote: Wait, can we pay tuition using this method? I'm going to law school next year and the total cost of tuition will be over 36k. I was thinking of getting a cash back credit card, but didn't know how I could link it. Will this app let me do this? Can I get any cash back card or does it have to be one of the ones listed on the first page?
You used to be able to pay with a cc, but not anymore. Bank account only.
Alterna Bank Thread

TFSA Portfolio: ATD|CNQ|NA|SJ
RRSP Portfolio: ELV|URI|WSM
Nov 24, 2016
684 posts
992 upvotes
MoneyHypeMike wrote: You used to be able to pay with a cc, but not anymore. Bank account only.
I downloaded the app and played with it for a while, but I couldn't figure it out. Thought I was being stupid. So there's no way to pay tuition with credit cards then. Bummer.

Edit: what about plastiq? Anybody heard of them?
https://www.plastiq.com/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
6184 posts
4811 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
MashGhasem wrote: I downloaded the app and played with it for a while, but I couldn't figure it out. Thought I was being stupid. So there's no way to pay tuition with credit cards then. Bummer.

There is a mega thread on RFD for plastiq. It should work, but there will be a fee.
Alterna Bank Thread

Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2009
1389 posts
624 upvotes
Halifax
MashGhasem wrote: I downloaded the app and played with it for a while, but I couldn't figure it out. Thought I was being stupid. So there's no way to pay tuition with credit cards then. Bummer.

MoneyHypeMike wrote: There is a mega thread on RFD for plastiq. It should work, but there will be a fee.
That and many schools are cracking down on this since people are over paying with the expectation of a refund cheque, so YMMV.
May 9, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
enigma0t2 wrote: I see PAD autopay as a protection against my own forgetfulness to pay through payTM. Most systems with PAD will only debit you the remaining balance of your bill. But if you cut too close to the deadline to use payTM, the PAD may not detect your payment in time, and you end up double-paying.
I guess I'll just keep PAD. I'll know by March 28 if Toronto Hydro double-dipped. I paid by payTM 1 week before the deadline.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
When I try to pay my credit card, it asks to verify my identity, which I do not want. But it seems it's fine for normal bills?

Is this only when paying credit cards? Also, do I have to link a bank account to pay the credit card? Or can I do it with the usual credit card in my payTM that I use for 2% cashback?

For property taxes, the city I'm in does now show up. Can I email paytm to add it?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
6184 posts
4811 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
Messerschmitt wrote: When I try to pay my credit card, it asks to verify my identity, which I do not want. But it seems it's fine for normal bills?

Is this only when paying credit cards? Also, do I have to link a bank account to pay the credit card? Or can I do it with the usual credit card in my payTM that I use for 2% cashback?

For property taxes, the city I'm in does now show up. Can I email paytm to add it?
Credit card payment is only from a bank account.
You might be able to use Paytm money too (by using interact e-transfer if you don't wanna link with the 2 small deposits).
You can always e-mail them to see if they can add your bill payee.
Alterna Bank Thread

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)