• Jul 13th, 2018 6:38 am
[OP]
Dec 12, 2009
747 posts
52 upvotes
Nova Scotia

PC Building Options in Canada

Hey All,

I haven't upgraded my PC since 2013 and am finally getting the itch to get a new machine. I've never had a PC last me thing long before, and I think it's mostly due to the fact that 1) it was a high-end machine at the time, and 2) miraculously, none of the parts have failed since then.

For about a decade prior to 2013, I used NCIX to order/build a custom PC. However, it seems as though they've had problems the last few years, so I'm more hesitant to use them again. What are the top options people are using these days for either custom PC builds or prebuilt machines?

And before anyone asks, I know that I could order parts individually and build the machine myself. I just like the convenience of having that done for me given my hectic work schedule.

More context: I'm primarily interested in building a gaming machine that will last me 3-4 years at least.

Cheers!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3287 posts
2230 upvotes
Dark0rb wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:47 am
Hey All,

I haven't upgraded my PC since 2013 and am finally getting the itch to get a new machine. I've never had a PC last me thing long before, and I think it's mostly due to the fact that 1) it was a high-end machine at the time, and 2) miraculously, none of the parts have failed since then.

For about a decade prior to 2013, I used NCIX to order/build a custom PC. However, it seems as though they've had problems the last few years, so I'm more hesitant to use them again. What are the top options people are using these days for either custom PC builds or prebuilt machines?

And before anyone asks, I know that I could order parts individually and build the machine myself. I just like the convenience of having that done for me given my hectic work schedule.

More context: I'm primarily interested in building a gaming machine that will last me 3-4 years at least.

Cheers!
What NCIX? They are bankrupt... Don't think you can even actually make an order of their site is still up.

Maybe Canada Computers? Or Mike's?
[OP]
Dec 12, 2009
747 posts
52 upvotes
Nova Scotia
superfresh89 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:54 am
What NCIX? They are bankrupt... Don't think you can even actually make an order of their site is still up.

Maybe Canada Computers? Or Mike's?
Yeah, I guess that's why I was confused about NCIX. The site is still up but I know they went backrupt.

How is Dell these days as far as their gaming rigs go? Still bloated/overpriced for what you get component wise?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3287 posts
2230 upvotes
Dark0rb wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:09 am
Yeah, I guess that's why I was confused about NCIX. The site is still up but I know they went backrupt.

How is Dell these days as far as their gaming rigs go? Still bloated/overpriced for what you get component wise?
If I wasn't building my own, I'd settle for an XPS like this https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktop ... =733_title
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2577 posts
443 upvotes
Memoryexpress is pretty decent I hear, not sure how their shipping will be. I'd say build it yourself.. it'll be almost therapeutic to build a computer when you're not working and have a little bit of a down time :)
Dec 23, 2015
485 posts
425 upvotes
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com makes configuring a build and finding best prices in Canada simple enough for even a child to do it in a matter of minutes. As for putting it together, surely you can find someone to do it locally in an hour for $50 if you don't want to yourself.