Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
PC Canada.com

Nest Hello Door bell @ PC Canada for $256.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2019 12:07 am
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10104 posts
12725 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, ending up redeeming Optimum points for the full value (well, $290 of it). I figure free is better than buying and getting more points.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
2823 posts
1493 upvotes
9394 wrote: Thanks, ending up redeeming Optimum points for the full value (well, $290 of it). I figure free is better than buying and getting more points.
is it cheaper to buy at shoppers $299 during 20x points?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
Lord Denning wrote: Really wish they had a wireless version. We bought ours during the BF $229 plus SDM redemption event so really $180 but the former homeowner cut the internal wiring so there would there is no chime/transformer access.
You can try and pull another wire if the front end and the back end wires are still there.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1265 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: You can try and pull another wire if the front end and the back end wires are still there.
That ship sailed - we returned the Nest. 100 plus year old house - sealed walls a lot of distance - no realistic way to get it done without spendings 100s.

But I will jump if they ever go wireless.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10104 posts
12725 upvotes
Toronto
bestknightmare wrote: is it cheaper to buy at shoppers $299 during 20x points?
Well, redeeming points means I spend less cash upfront - $10 vs. $300. I already had $350 in pts, and it's not like you can buy gift cards with pts, otherwise I would have bought a Rona GC and PM'd with BB for $250.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10205 posts
11263 upvotes
moofur wrote: Agreed. I really dislike the subscription based model. So many companies are doing this now in order to get recurring revenue. When you're paying $300 retail for a doorbell I really shouldn't have to pay $5 a month in order to take advantage of all its features. The excuse that companies use is that cloud storage is expensive, as if it's something that only benefits me. If that was the case then put in local/micro-sd recording. But let's face it, they want your data on the cloud for data mining purposes, so please don't use that as an excuse to charge me more when it really benefits you more than me. :rolleyes:
Honestly, I don't see how you CAN'T expect the companies to charge subscription.

Paying one fee and then expecting service in perpetuity, despite the service provider having recurring costs, is not, IMHO reasonable.

Name me one other area where you pay a fee once and yet expect regularly supply services that cost the supplying company money, and yet have no recurring fee to cover that?

There are individual exceptions today, but that's more about capturing market share then anything in most cases (i.e. the Wyzecam). In other cases the business model is that YOU are the product (i.e. Amazon Echo devices).

If you want an option that has local storage there are TONS out there, not sure why you're singling out Nest here, you don't HAVE to use their product.

As for 'data mining', what benefit exactly do you think a company gets out of low quality footage of the UPS driver delivering your parcel? Is it in any way enough to cover their costs? I doubt it. We aren't that valuable.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10205 posts
11263 upvotes
aquariaguy wrote: +1

I went with Wyzecam. $35. I get all notifications on my phone, with video. No monthly fees.
I have 3 Wyzecams, they all work great, BUT, I WISH there was a subscription option. There are many limitations as to what Wyze offers because of their free model.

Plus, what's the long term plan? Keeping servers running, and paying for bandwidth, with no recurring payments to cover that? Basically we're in pyramid scam territory right now, where new purchasers of the hardware are financing the continued service costs of existing customers. My assumption is Wyze is doing this to capture as much market share as possible. But there is ZERO chance IMHO that this will remain the status quo. They will HAVE to start charging a subscription eventually (they might keep some form of free tier, that will be a business decision).

Enjoy it while it lasts.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
repatch wrote: Honestly, I don't see how you CAN'T expect the companies to charge subscription.

Paying one fee and then expecting service in perpetuity, despite the service provider having recurring costs, is not, IMHO reasonable.

Name me one other area where you pay a fee once and yet expect regularly supply services that cost the supplying company money, and yet have no recurring fee to cover that?

There are individual exceptions today, but that's more about capturing market share then anything in most cases (i.e. the Wyzecam). In other cases the business model is that YOU are the product (i.e. Amazon Echo devices).

If you want an option that has local storage there are TONS out there, not sure why you're singling out Nest here, you don't HAVE to use their product.

As for 'data mining', what benefit exactly do you think a company gets out of low quality footage of the UPS driver delivering your parcel? Is it in any way enough to cover their costs? I doubt it. We aren't that valuable.
Subscription based services is the way everything is headed as it provides companies with a means of steady cash flow, and locked into their product ecosystems.
MS Office365 is a perfect example of this, as no longer can you simply really just buy a disk and use it on it's own. Movies & music is another case of this transition, as I see CD/DVD disks becoming obsolete in the next 3-5 years.

As to for what benefit, I'd give their TOS a good read for starters.
I'm sure there is a market for facial recognition data already, not to mention it being able to provide lifestyle info as well (deliveries, when your home, traffic patterns on your street, etc)
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2646 posts
2437 upvotes
repatch wrote: Honestly, I don't see how you CAN'T expect the companies to charge subscription.

I completely agree, which is why I said that they should offer a local storage option, whether that be by MicroSD or a NAS.

Also, the other features that they are charging a subscription for is also nuts, since the hardware/software is already capable of it and you've already paid for the product (ie. detection zones). This shouldn't cost them any ongoing expenses.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10205 posts
11263 upvotes
moofur wrote: I completely agree, which is why I said that they should offer a local storage option, whether that be by MicroSD or a NAS.
Why?? It's not their business model. Do you complain that the Honda Civic you just bought doesn't come with a 5th wheel hitch?

Nest has decided that their product doesn't have local storage. What 'should' is there here?
moofur wrote: Also, the other features that they are charging a subscription for is also nuts, since the hardware/software is already capable of it and you've already paid for the product (ie. detection zones). This shouldn't cost them any ongoing expenses.
OMG, did Nest FORCE you to buy their product? Do you have ANY standing with telling them how to make money with their product?

If the feature set and pricing model doesn't match your expectations DON'T BUY IT. There are other options, go with them. Stop wasting all our time trying to direct a company to do what YOU want, in a forum they don't even pay attention to!?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Sure, no subs...just don't cry when the product and service goes EOL in a few years!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
Security would be a big concerned stored locally. It could simply removed and stolen as part of the break-in, and/or damaged in the event of arson, leaving you no proof of what happened.

They are concerned about providing reliability and protecting their name ... I can see it now, incompetent customers blaming Nest because they didn't understand the difference between local and cloud storage after a total loss incident.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Mar 2, 2004
625 posts
117 upvotes
Mississauga
I installed it and I am loving this thing. Very convenient and it's great having all these new info on what's happening in front of the house 24/7 that I have never knew before.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
5156 posts
1315 upvotes
London
Punira wrote: I installed it and I am loving this thing. Very convenient and it's great having all these new info on what's happening in front of the house 24/7 that I have never knew before.
Yeah, it’s only been a week so far and I’ve already seen many interesting things on there that happen while I’m sleeping or at work.
Aug 29, 2017
342 posts
323 upvotes
9394 wrote: Thanks, ending up redeeming Optimum points for the full value (well, $290 of it). I figure free is better than buying and getting more points.
I haven't seen these at shoppers for a while. All I've seen are Nest E thermostats & Nest Protect detectors.
Dec 15, 2008
114 posts
111 upvotes
been about a week as well, and love making time lapses, and catching my guests banter as they stand at the door :) Today's been a good day for time lapses with the snow fall! Really loving this setup, retired my Foscam C1 ip camera for back door duty now.
[external advertising link removed]
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10104 posts
12725 upvotes
Toronto
dgcan75 wrote: I haven't seen these at shoppers for a while. All I've seen are Nest E thermostats & Nest Protect detectors.
Yeah, I lucked out and only had to check a few SDMs. I got it at the O'Connor and Woodbine store (only 1 in stock).
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1681 posts
406 upvotes
Maple, ON
Any benefit for this system without subscription?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
5156 posts
1315 upvotes
London
Lexi wrote: Any benefit for this system without subscription?
Not really