• May 12th, 2012 4:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3775 posts
579 upvotes
Ottawa
Oh well, just another outdated, inefficient business succumbing to the law of natural selection in a cut-throat industry.

PCCyber has been contracting their operations for some time. The used store on Somerset, the location on Bank Street, locations in Montreal...

And yes, their Hunt Club location is weak. With the amount of traffic there, you'd think they could have done better.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2006
622 posts
12 upvotes
Here's an UPDATE:

PC Cyber will eventually close all stores. It's only a matter of time. Apparently, they got audited by CCRA and there were a lot of discrepancies being reported. So basically the entire business will go under sooner or later. The owner apparently claimed his $200G car or something as business expense and they got suspicious. All to say that the business was not on the up and up.

One other thing: Employees there are not even getting their pay cheques on time and they are giving it out as cash.
May 29, 2011
925 posts
136 upvotes
KANATA
Kind of sad. My current PC(few years old now), and my 2 before it were almost 100% PCcyber parts.
Then the sales went from noticeable to "Awesome savings!!!!! save 1.003%" and other pathetic sales.

I used the wellington store lots in the past, but the staff was so useless. All Asian(nothing wrong there) and they would all stand around talking their own language and ignore customers.
The bells corners one was always helpful.

At the end of the day, its all about the lowest prices.
Screw Canada Computers and their BS pricematch LIES!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
Sad. When I lived in Ottawa, I always preferred the PC Cyber Rideau store to the CC store just up the street. I felt that they were more knowledgeable and helpful - they always used to pricematch CC when I asked, too.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8342 posts
2499 upvotes
Ottawa
Manatus wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 12:10 pm
Sad. When I lived in Ottawa, I always preferred the PC Cyber Rideau store to the CC store just up the street. I felt that they were more knowledgeable and helpful - they always used to pricematch CC when I asked, too.

Helpful? You must be Asian, white people would have to stick around the store like a sore thumb waiting to be served while they served the clients speaking Mandarin or worse, wait until they finished a 10min conversation with fellow employees. I recently asked for service when 3 employees were chatting, I was told they'd come see me in a minute. 15min later I walk out and when I turn around they're laughing. I really hope these are the employees that have money owed.

They're also still selling online with no mention of the B&M locations anywhere on the site...so they're still technically in business but shafting their employees, or have no plans to stop taking online orders and defrauding people.

Good riddance!
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Nov 20, 2011
2 posts
Toronto, Ontario
Cas77 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 2:06 pm
Helpful? You must be Asian, white people would have to stick around the store like a sore thumb waiting to be served while they served the clients speaking Mandarin or worse, wait until they finished a 10min conversation with fellow employees. I recently asked for service when 3 employees were chatting, I was told they'd come see me in a minute. 15min later I walk out and when I turn around they're laughing. I really hope these are the employees that have money owed.

They're also still selling online with no mention of the B&M locations anywhere on the site...so they're still technically in business but shafting their employees, or have no plans to stop taking online orders and defrauding people.

Good riddance!
They are not the employees being owed money. The Asians you speak of are the ones in charge of the company (upper management)...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2011 2:06 pm

Good riddance!

Oh, I'm definitely a white dude - I forget the guy's name (Anson? Edwin? Something like that?) who seemed to be more of a permanent/higher-level staff member than the regular salespeople (who I agree didn't impress me that much), and he always seemed pretty helpful. I mean it wasn't like the Apple Store, but it was a nicer place than the CC up the street which looked like you could get mugged while in the store, let alone walking to it. Dealing with the CC there on the one or two times that I did, I got the impression that it was like factorydirect in that once they have your money, it's a done deal and they'll start pretending that they don't speak english or something if you try to get a refund.
Aug 14, 2006
284 posts
38 upvotes
Kanata
It's a sad story. PC Cyber used to be a great store. In fact, I bought my last custom-built PC from them in December last year, just before a lot of this bad news started coming out.

Oh well, at least we've got Canada Computers with pretty decent prices, and hopefully NCIX will open a store in Ottawa some time soon.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1490 posts
132 upvotes
I saw the board yesterday. Felt sorry that another business went down. I bought mouse from them once. Still have it !
× < >