• Mar 7th, 2024 12:21 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2014
6052 posts
4059 upvotes
Parry Sound
RubberCheese wrote: Its always been like that afaik... some stores always want you to tap separately for points, but others didnt require it.

I used to say i wasnt a pcpts member and then just tapped my pcf mc for payment and i always got full points.
If you only tap to pay then you'll earn the 30pt/$ but won't earn any bonus points from offers. You'd have to tap twice.
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
3155 posts
1869 upvotes
MayorOfToronto wrote: If you only tap to pay then you'll earn the 30pt/$ but won't earn any bonus points from offers. You'd have to tap twice.
Not true in my experience at valumart/nofrills/superstore
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4391 posts
1505 upvotes
QC
That's a quality post, have my downvote and move on.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
RubberCheese wrote: Not true in my experience at valumart/nofrills/superstore
Not true from my experience as well.

djino
Sep 2, 2016
228 posts
15 upvotes
frank2243 wrote: Did you ever had problem to get your base points at SDM? I keep being tell that I just have to pay with the PC MC to get the base SDM points (15 points per dollar spent) which is wrong, but cashiers don't seem to understand it at at that location in Montréal. I filled missing point requests online about this, but I never got an answer.
RubberCheese wrote: Its always been like that afaik... some stores always want you to tap separately for points, but others didnt require it.

I used to say i wasnt a pcpts member and then just tapped my pcf mc for payment and i always got full points.
Not SDM, but cashiers in Place Ville-Marie, Montréal keep telling me that I only need to tap to pay and get the base optimum points (15 points pet $). Apparently, some stores tell the wrong information to customers....
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
RubberCheese wrote: Not true in my experience at valumart/nofrills/superstore
djino wrote: Not true from my experience as well.
It seems to vary by store and type of terminal. For example at the Superstore I sometimes shop at,
1. At a live cashier, one tap does both.
2. At the self-checkout, the system first asks for the PC Opt tap, then rings up the merchandise, then at the end prompts for a second tap for payment.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 21, 2016
211 posts
55 upvotes
Soemthing similar happened to my PCF WE a few months ago. They raised my limit to $5000 in November then in January they lowered it to $1000 stating it was more in line with my credit needs. I do have about $50k if available credit amoung my other cards and have a utilization of about 15% each month.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2015
1294 posts
1512 upvotes
Since posting that comment, I've tapped once at Extra Foods and did NOT receive any points from offers despite the receipt showing my PCO balance. Buyer beware, tap once for points to be on the safe side,
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7312 posts
6264 upvotes
I agree PCF is extremely unprofessional. When I applied for the WE card, they hard pulled my credit twice. I’m still wondering why.
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3173 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
I work for Loblaws as a cashier and I’m supposed to get people to tap for points then pay. I do this mainly because if you want to redeem points you need to do that before the purchase, plus it auto calculates the offer points once I hit total, which doesn’t happen if you just pay with the card. I’m sure if you just pay with the card you’ll get your points anyways since PC MasterCard payments are processed in house while other credit cards are not. Personally, just tap for points then pay, then you will know for sure you’ll get all your points.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1458 posts
286 upvotes
Renous
At least this thread points out that it can happen at any time with PCF. It sounds like they get paranoid if a customer has too much available credit.
Reserved for future time travellers
Sep 4, 2017
493 posts
153 upvotes
patpond wrote: At least this thread points out that it can happen at any time with PCF. It sounds like they get paranoid if a customer has too much available credit.
Agree
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9298 posts
10312 upvotes
The only lender that had the same awful service and policies as PCF was Chase, and maybe Wal-Mart. All others are more professional and decent. And I don't think it is about retailer credit cards. Canadian Tire, for instance, has great customer service and responsive, dedicated staff. Probably in part because they have a dedicated office and a good working environment.

For me, I was shocked but they gave me a $12000 limit from the get go, and never lowered it in spite of tons of hard hits and many new accounts.

Needless to say, I never used this card for anything other than the promotional $100 gift card and the 3% rewards at Loblaws stores. Even then I don't think it is worth it, I think it just conditions you to spend more at their stores and you don't save any money.

I will just buy a bunch of gift cards at 3% at Loblaws stores and cancel it.
Mar 18, 2011
79 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
yeah, CT is superb lender. They never touched my limits on their cards..
Nov 22, 2012
812 posts
940 upvotes
NS
EdisonL299 wrote: I agree PCF is extremely unprofessional. When I applied for the WE card, they hard pulled my credit twice. I’m still wondering why.
Agreed. PC did 3 hard credit pulls on the same day when my wife applied for the World MC. 1 with Equifax and 2 with TransUnion. I have never heard of any other lender making 2 hard inquiries at the same place on the same day.
Mar 18, 2011
79 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
jevonb wrote: Agreed. PC did 3 hard credit pulls on the same day when my wife applied for the World MC. 1 with Equifax and 2 with TransUnion. I have never heard of any other lender making 2 hard inquiries at the same place on the same day.
Yeah, this garbage company should be avoided at all costs. In my view RBC is the best lender in Canada.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3173 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
So far PC MasterCard has been the only lender who has denied me, not sure why. PC Financial has the weirdest acceptance policies tbh.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1338 posts
376 upvotes
Mississauga
Strange; I've had none these negative experiences. Got a $12k limit when first approved about 2 years ago and it's never changed. It has allowed me to earn a ton of PC points, though.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1543 posts
529 upvotes
Ottawa
I had a PC MC from the 90’s I applied for it when PC banking started off along with PC banking. It was my primary card till about 6-7 yrs back until Cap One Travel card came along. I started putting one charge (about $20) an yr to keep it active and back in 2014 completely forgot about the charge and missed a payment. Next month got a letter saying since I have not been using the card that my limit would be reduced to 1k from 10k. Paid the balance and put a reoccurring monthly small charge on the card and started an automated bill payment every month which continues to this day. Around the same time in 2014 got another letter to convert me to WE. I contacted them and got it converted. Fast forward to late 2017 they increased my limit to 1.5k J

I have a RBC Visa which was my very first card. Around mid 00 I called to cancel it since I was using PC MC. The CSR flatly refused to cancel and instead reduced the limit. It has since ballooned back to my original limit: J
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3173 posts
3128 upvotes
Toronto
everylittlecent wrote: I had a PC MC from the 90’s I applied for it when PC banking started off along with PC banking. It was my primary card till about 6-7 yrs back until Cap One Travel card came along. I started putting one charge (about $20) an yr to keep it active and back in 2014 completely forgot about the charge and missed a payment. Next month got a letter saying since I have not been using the card that my limit would be reduced to 1k from 10k. Paid the balance and put a reoccurring monthly small charge on the card and started an automated bill payment every month which continues to this day. Around the same time in 2014 got another letter to convert me to WE. I contacted them and got it converted. Fast forward to late 2017 they increased my limit to 1.5k J

I have a RBC Visa which was my very first card. Around mid 00 I called to cancel it since I was using PC MC. The CSR flatly refused to cancel and instead reduced the limit. It has since ballooned back to my original limit: J
Why would the CSR refuse to cancel the card? Can they even do that :/

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)