• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2016 2:35 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 1, 2007
6 posts
2 upvotes

PC Financial World MasterCard

Has anyone tried out this new card? http://pcfinancial.ca/english/credit-ca ... card-world

I've had the PC Financial MasterCard for years and love it. World seems to be better with the 20 PC points per $1 for purchases at Loblaws (and associated) stores, instead of just 10 points.

I noticed you get 5,000 PC points for applying online but when I confirmed over the phone they said existing PC MasterCard holders don't get it for applying for the World card. (Way to treat long-time customers poorly.)

Any downsides or watch-outs at all?
159 replies
Mar 23, 2004
33100 posts
2103 upvotes
Markham
Hmmm, so 2% cb at loblaws/no frills/etc. Not bad...but still pass.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7737 posts
3647 upvotes
puff puff pass ....

MBNA SC World > PC World any day
Aug 5, 2012
206 posts
28 upvotes
You get only 20 PC points per dollar if you shopped at the Real Canadian SuperStore or other Loblaw stores. Else where you get 10 PC points per dollar.

20 PC point per dollar is like 2% cash back card. The best deal in town is a 3% cash back card. This is not limited to Superstore but at any grocery store such as Safeway, IGA, Walmart, Ken's Produce etc. The card that gives 3% cash back is the MBNA Smart Cash MasterCard. No other credit card in Canada can beat these features:

• 5% cash back on gas and grocery purchases for the first 6 months
• 3% cash back on gas and grocery purchases thereafter
• 1% cash back on all other retail purchases
Dec 20, 2006
517 posts
42 upvotes
neilthewiz wrote:
Aug 14th, 2012 9:57 pm
Any downsides or watch-outs at all?
The original PCMC isn't good, and while this one is better it's still not a very good card... much better cards out there. As others above have said MBNA Smart Cash, Aspire Cash World (or travel), etc. are better cards.

Also, just a heads up, this card requires a minimum - $60,000 annual income same as other World Mastercards.
http://www.pcfinancial.ca/whyjoin/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6157 posts
239 upvotes
What makes this different to the other black card they were secretly rolling out to random existing PCMC customers? Is this the same thing?
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2009
1009 posts
58 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote:
Aug 14th, 2012 10:54 pm
puff puff pass ....

MBNA SC World > PC World any day
+1

In fact MBNA SC PP > PC MC World. Kind of funny that a competitor card gives better rewards than PC's own card in PC's own stores.

speedyforme wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 7:42 am
What makes this different to the other black card they were secretly rolling out to random existing PCMC customers? Is this the same thing?
Its the same card. Difference is that it is now being offered to the public.
Being broke is childish and I'm quite grown
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6157 posts
239 upvotes
Milfman wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 10:05 am

Its the same card. Difference is that it is now being offered to the public.
Thanks! I will probably skip this and go for the MNBA SC MC
[OP]
Sep 1, 2007
6 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks all for the responses. Didn't realize that the MBNA SmartCash was that good. Excellent cash back! Although you do have to wait to hit $50 and wait for a cheque in the mail, as opposed to redeeming at $20 increments for PC. (Although points redemption isn't as good as cash, of course.)

With SmartCash, I did read angel_wing0's excellent post. I'm a bit confused about the types of cards - are there three now - Regular, World and Platinum Plus? Is Platinum Plus the best?
Aug 16, 2004
365 posts
77 upvotes
While I agree that SmartCash is the better card of the two, I'd just like to play devil's advocate and point out that if you were to spend over $1200 at Superstore/Loblaws in a given month, the PC card would pay out better than SmartCash because it has no monthly limit. Not that many people would regularly spend that much on groceries every month, but it is possible.

For example, $1500 results in a reward of 600*.03 + 900*.01 = $27 for SmartCash, but the PC card would earn 1500*.02 = $30
Feb 22, 2011
156 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Fail... Required min income of $ 60,000 per year.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7737 posts
3647 upvotes
neilthewiz wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 1:19 pm
Thanks all for the responses. Didn't realize that the MBNA SmartCash was that good. Excellent cash back! Although you do have to wait to hit $50 and wait for a cheque in the mail, as opposed to redeeming at $20 increments for PC. (Although points redemption isn't as good as cash, of course.)

With SmartCash, I did read angel_wing0's excellent post. I'm a bit confused about the types of cards - are there three now - Regular, World and Platinum Plus? Is Platinum Plus the best?
No, platinum plus is an all together different card.

With SC, there is only the regular one and World.
beavis123 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 1:55 pm
Fail... Required min income of $ 60,000 per year.
Not a fail. You can easily change your "income" through the online account. So, obtain the regular card, update the income online so it is over the required minimum and soon after you'll have an offer to upgrade.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
2628 posts
154 upvotes
Sorry, guys. But, this does not hot. MBNA SC does hot.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2009
1568 posts
130 upvotes
bjserink wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 1:48 pm
While I agree that SmartCash is the better card of the two, I'd just like to play devil's advocate and point out that if you were to spend over $1200 at Superstore/Loblaws in a given month, the PC card would pay out better than SmartCash because it has no monthly limit. Not that many people would regularly spend that much on groceries every month, but it is possible.

For example, $1500 results in a reward of 600*.03 + 900*.01 = $27 for SmartCash, but the PC card would earn 1500*.02 = $30
Thanks for pointing that out. I was going to do it earlier, but I end up just deleting it and moving on. This place is so smitten with the MBNA SC they lose site of the bigger picture.

Anyways, PCF gives me double points on my PCF Mastercard, so the only benefit would be the added insurance features. But doesn't the basic card have extended warranty/purchase protection anyways? I'm pretty sure it does.

Oh well. At least the new card is cooler looking.

EDIT. This is how the bulk of RFD thinks:

--No-fee 2% cashback card redeemable right at the cashier? RFD = :cry:
--No-fee 3% cashback, restrictive monthly limit drops it to 1%, have to wait for statement cycle to end, weeks later rebate cheque sent via snail mail? RFD = :cheesygri n:

I know, I can never figure this place out.
Dec 6, 2010
274 posts
20 upvotes
bjserink wrote:
Aug 15th, 2012 1:48 pm

For this reason, I keep 2 Smart Cash back cards with me :)
× < >