[OP]
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto

pc gaming dead?

I just bought 3 games on steam
Arma 3 - seemed like lots of populated servers, no one playing the base game though.
Ghost Recon Wildlands - 300 people online
warhammer dawn of war 3 - tried to join a match... barely no people online.

pretty much dead all around.

so I guess everyone is playing PubG, Counter strike, and Starcraft.

sad :(
41 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6048 posts
1320 upvotes
More people play those games on consoles:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Top games by current player count on STEAM (PC GAMING)
CURRENT _ PEAK TODAY _ GAME

1,152,278 _ 2,644,514 _ PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
395,387 _ 710,538 _ Dota 2
155,635 _ 510,709 _ Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
46,242 _ 63,138 _ Team Fortress 2
44,027 _ 58,717 _ Warframe
43,784 _ 43,784 _ PAYDAY 2
43,202 _ 69,527 _ Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
29,169 _ 49,100 _ Grand Theft Auto V
26,238 _ 43,121 _ ARK: Survival Evolved
25,558 _34,921 _ Sid Meier's Civilization V

Stats for old games like Battlefield 1 (released last year):
http://bf1stats.com/

PS4 Battlefield 1 players 24H Peak today: 57,830
PS4 Battlefield 1 players on right now 12AM EST: 36,340

XBox One Battlefield 1 players 24H Peak today: 39,292
XBox One Battlefield 1 player on right now at 12AM EST: 29,553

PC Battlefield 1 Players 24H Peak today: 25,438
PC Battlefield 1 Players on right now at 12AM EST: 9,670
Aug 28, 2007
576 posts
112 upvotes
Vancouver
Interesting to see Civ V on there instead of VI. Is it not better?
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1364 posts
684 upvotes
Windsor
Wth would you play multi-platform games on PC? Console is the way to go. The only advantages of PC are cheating lol and exclusive games.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6036 posts
820 upvotes
Grimsby
Superior graphics, input preferences, maybe lacks a console, cheaper games, etc. People use those little keyboard adapters on consoles which is almost worse to me as you can't easily identify them, where as on PC I can usually tell someone is cheating and just switch servers easily.

To the OP, Wildlands didn't have depth so most people have moved on. A lot of RTS players moved over to MOBAs or just play Starcraft which is kind of the gold standard. Arma 3 is just old but it still has a community. You see the same thing with consoles too, sometimes people just move on from games after the release period. There's been a few games where I bought them on sale later on and can't find anyone to play with.

But yeah PUBG and Fortnite have sucked a lot of oxygen out of other MP games. Before that it was Dota 2 and CS:GO. And so on.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4844 posts
649 upvotes
calgary
That does bring up an interesting point, what is it about PC gaming in general that leads those people to a handful of games and essentially ignores the rest?

I could still jump into a game of basically any CoD, titanfall 1 or battlefront on xb1 but those games have been DOA since a month after launch. In the meantime millions of people are playing League, dota, pubg, and counterstrike.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
i have xbox one and i have pc.
i prefer pc gaming mostly.

im just surprised that these games have essentially NO online community.. I mean Ghost recon just came out this year... and it lists only 300 people online.

I found other games dead like this as well:
homeworld
homeworld deserts of kharak

i mean with the exception of like 5 PC games, most of them are dead.

im just not an avid xbox gamer. I prefer shooters on the PC.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
Only looking at the top 10 on Steam is a skewed picture. If you look at the full 100 list there are a lot of both new and old games with healthy playerbases. For example, that top 10 doesn't show the 30K playing COD WWII, 50K on Rocket Leauge or the 10-15K playing older games like Borderlands 2, L4D2, and og CS. Even games considered to be garbage on PC like Battlefront 1 and The Division still have a few thousands players which is more than enough to find players in most regions.
PC players aren't restricted to playing multiplayer games released after 2013 so for a game to survive it has to be outstanding or get a deep discount to stand out against the competition.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14269 posts
1549 upvotes
Toronto
ForbiddenX wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 1:09 am
Interesting to see Civ V on there instead of VI. Is it not better?
VI is new and is still having the bugs worked out right now. It's also far more expensive than any Civ game has ever been before. V is refined, cheap, and popular because it's been out for a while and has gone on sale several times.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
sirex wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 12:12 pm
i mean with the exception of like 5 PC games, most of them are dead.
This just isn't true. Again look at the full list on Steam, tons of games are being played, just not the ones you like. That doesn't even include any of the popular games on Bnet, Origin or Windows 10/XBL play anywhere games.

Wildlands in particular launched with mediocre reviews and has Ubisoft stigma attached to it. That game never stood a chance on PC as with most flavor of the month console releases.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6048 posts
1320 upvotes
There are about 16 million players logged in to Steam right now.
Steam also tracks people playing offline single player games since people need to be signed in to Steam to launch those
games in most cases.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ then go to top 100 games.

Fore example, about 16,000 people playing The Witcher 3, 18,000 playing Skyrim, 4,000 playing Fallout New Vegas.
Even MMOs like Elder Scrolls Online only has about 10,000 concurrent players online right now.

On Battle.net:
StarCraft 2 only has about 147,000 players on it even after it has gone free to play. A lot of those players migrated to PUBG or DOTA.
StarCraft 1's peak popularity was a lot higher than SC2's scene.

Overwatch is the most played game on battle.net but they do not release player counts for that. It is assumed to be under CS:GO's numbers
due to Overwatch no longer being popular as a Steaming game choice whereas CS:GO is one of the most watched games on Twitch.
Diablo 3 has fewer active players on PC than StarCraft 2.

The older CS:GO has max 1.5-1.7% peak daily concurrent players and 35M owners. Thats around 500-600k players online at the same time.

OW should be somewhere between PUBG and CS:GO in active players number with the popularity slowly declining (low overall activitity in Season 6, low quality or no tournaments in EU for example, rising number of trolls and toxic players).

Extremely doubtful that OW has more players than CS:GO.
Not even close to the same competitive lvl of a game.
No one ever watches OW on twitch.
The big streamers started losing numbers in this game so they moved away.
If you follow the US forum you would know that even Investors back away from OW as a failed product.

Its only Blizzard die hard fanboys that want this game to be a thing.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 12:26 pm
This just isn't true. Again look at the full list on Steam, tons of games are being played, just not the ones you like. That doesn't even include any of the popular games on Bnet, Origin or Windows 10/XBL play anywhere games.

Wildlands in particular launched with mediocre reviews and has Ubisoft stigma attached to it. That game never stood a chance on PC as with most flavor of the month console releases.
really though?
300 people on wildlands?
can't even find someone on warhammer?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
sirex wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 1:33 pm
really though?
300 people on wildlands?
can't even find someone on warhammer?
Steam says 6K for Wildlands which probably doesn't include the handful of direct Uplay owners so I don't know where you're getting this 300 from. Thats actually pretty good and more than I'd expect for a Ubisoft game with mediocre reviews
[OP]
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 2:47 pm
Steam says 6K for Wildlands which probably doesn't include the handful of direct Uplay owners so I don't know where you're getting this 300 from. Thats actually pretty good and more than I'd expect for a Ubisoft game with mediocre reviews
yeah the problem is you're talking about people playing single player, or never play online with others. when I tried to connect to play online 4v4 pvp, it said there are 300 people.

xbox one is 2,000

warhammer 3, tried to connect to an online match, no one to be found.

deserts of kharak... ghost tone.

so for actual online game play, a lot of games are pretty dead.

VS. log into CSgo you get a game instantly.
Sep 6, 2009
262 posts
19 upvotes
GTA - West End
sirex wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 2:57 pm
yeah the problem is you're talking about people playing single player, or never play online with others. when I tried to connect to play online 4v4 pvp, it said there are 300 people.

xbox one is 2,000

warhammer 3, tried to connect to an online match, no one to be found.

deserts of kharak... ghost tone.

so for actual online game play, a lot of games are pretty dead.

VS. log into CSgo you get a game instantly.
That's just the nature of things on PC. With such a huge selection of games to choose from, some games will be more populated than others. One just has to hope that the game(s) you're interested in have at least a small but stable community.

Another factor is matchmaking versus server browser. In my experience, matchmaking has always sucked when it comes to low-populated games. 300 people online but how many of them are in-game playing? How many are are currently in the lobby afk or tweaking their settings or cosmetics? How many are actually looking for a match at the same time as you? Just something to think about.