Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
jrees wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 4:12 pm
Dead? LOL.
man, other than PubG, CSGO, Starcraft, everything else is quite light.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2093 posts
88 upvotes
There is probably a nice handful of people who still play WoW, GW2
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8
Gigabyte Z170X
32GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 3400
Asus Strix 1080 GTX
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2
Asus ROG Swift PG348Q
May 9, 2007
848 posts
224 upvotes
OP is not wrong. It's one of the reasons why I favor console over PC when it comes to online gaming. Console does tend to retain it's player base much longer. It's very rare to have a PC game with more players than console. Maybe it is because PC gamers have more choice where console is more limited? Whatever the case... sure PC have the graphics but consoles have the players....

Just an example...
http://swbstats.com/
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1051 posts
132 upvotes
PS4+PC+Switch for me
Overwatch alone is worth it on PC. Can't stand using a controller playing a competitive FPS.

Xbox ? nah.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
5752 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto
With PC gaming, if you find a game that you just love there are usually ways to continue to enjoy the game through mods and steam workshop. I must have finished XCOM 2 a dozen times, but I still play it because of all the great steam workshop mods for the game.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14367 posts
3170 upvotes
https://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/2017- ... t-and-why/

Stats are from 2016/7 but show PC still in the lead over consoles. Places like China are even higher owing to many console game releases not being available in that country as well, many people playing PC games by the hour at Internet cafes. PC is hardly a dead platform if you are looking at the whole world...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7513 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
startoss wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 1:47 pm
PS4+PC+Switch for me
Overwatch alone is worth it on PC. Can't stand using a controller playing a competitive FPS.

Xbox ? nah.
I'm almost the same. I use a PS4 (pro) and PC (I don't have a switch). Sony has a all the good exclusives. The only thing xbox kind of had I wanted to play was the last tomb raider which they got to release first, except they also put it out on pc shortly after xbox, so I just played it on PC. Had I been even more patient I could of waited for it's ps4 release.

For some reason playing games like Wolfenstein or Doom only feels right on a PC (even though I could play them on my ps4).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8347 posts
646 upvotes
Toronto
mymuro wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 8:53 am
Wth would you play multi-platform games on PC? Console is the way to go. The only advantages of PC are cheating lol and exclusive games.
Rewriting my whole reply:

I prefer PC for the simple fact that I can do everything I need to on my PC, including gaming + I use the steam link so have all of my games (that I don't play using a keyboard and mouse) on the 60" TV I have in my living room.

Cheaters on PC? Once in awhile I run into them but then I just wait to see if they leave after the game is done or I leave to find a new lobby.

If I was going to buy ANY console now, it would be the Nintendo Switch, but only for Zelda and Mario Odysee. Then I would get bored of it (most likely scenario) and then sell it at an obvious loss. So it's not really worth it to me. Console's don't have enough exclusives that interest me enough to justify the cost over just ignoring the exclusive. Most games come out on PC and consoles now, and the ports coming out on PC now are much much better than they used to be a couple years ago.

If gaming PCs (one's worth buying, especially custom built) were around the same price as say, an XBOX One X or a PS4 Pro, I have a feeling you'd see much much higher adoption into gaming PCs vs consoles. What I never could stand with the PS4 I had was a question many ask "Why the hell should I have to pay $50+ per year for the ability to play online". I pay my internet bill and online play via steam or whatever the client is doesn't cost me anything extra and it runs just as well as PS Plus does.
Jul 6, 2013
27 posts
35 upvotes
Kitchener
I agree when ps4 went to pay to play online like xbox dose I told myself nope I will never buy a console again that I have to pay to play the games online. But If a new company came out with a new console that you don't have to pay to play the games online I may consider buying it to support the company I will not support greedy corporate companies. I also have a steam link its great and there is a lot of indie game developers making great games for pc that I am loving.... The way I see it you can't go wrong with a good gaming pc the games look better run better I can't wait to start playing the new pc games on vr. PC Gaming is-int going anywhere it's here to stay.....
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14670 posts
1119 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 10:32 am
OP is not wrong. It's one of the reasons why I favor console over PC when it comes to online gaming. Console does tend to retain it's player base much longer. It's very rare to have a PC game with more players than console. Maybe it is because PC gamers have more choice where console is more limited? Whatever the case... sure PC have the graphics but consoles have the players....

Just an example...
http://swbstats.com/
Mind you console gamers probably make up of people with less disposable income, i.e little screaming kids. Heavy resource games like AAA titles on PC may be of a more mature audience but that point may become moot when developers make them cross-platform like Microsoft has with their games. Still prefer to have the controls of a PC over console.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14670 posts
1119 upvotes
Toronto
1Paintballer wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 3:38 am
I agree when ps4 went to pay to play online like xbox dose I told myself nope I will never buy a console again that I have to pay to play the games online. But If a new company came out with a new console that you don't have to pay to play the games online I may consider buying it to support the company I will not support greedy corporate companies. I also have a steam link its great and there is a lot of indie game developers making great games for pc that I am loving.... The way I see it you can't go wrong with a good gaming pc the games look better run better I can't wait to start playing the new pc games on vr. PC Gaming is-int going anywhere it's here to stay.....
I don't know how the servers work for XBOX LIVE but I imagine it's Microsoft that has to pay for the infrastructure and a staff to update/maintain the LIVE experience. In a system like Steam, once you connect the servers and its operations are handed off to the game developers to maintain. The biggest beef I have with the current trend is microtransactions. If you buy a game, why are you forced to pay more for it? Ridiculous. Now they purposely cripple a game and make them standard, deluxe and ultimate just to milk the consumer. Greed, greed, greed.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 8:32 am
Mind you console gamers probably make up of people with less disposable income, i.e little screaming kids. Heavy resource games like AAA titles on PC may be of a more mature audience but that point may become moot when developers make them cross-platform like Microsoft has with their games. Still prefer to have the controls of a PC over console.
That is a rarely brought up great point. Battlefield may have 20K players on PC and 30-40K on console, but when half or more of the console players are teenagers and kids who are toxic and awful to play with, I'd rather just be on PC where there's far less of them due to cost of entry. I occasionally turn off cross play in Rocket League because the difference in quality of teammates and play skill is night and day compared to with it on.
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 8:38 am
I don't know how the servers work for XBOX LIVE but I imagine it's Microsoft that has to pay for the infrastructure and a staff to update/maintain the LIVE experience. In a system like Steam, once you connect the servers and its operations are handed off to the game developers to maintain. The biggest beef I have with the current trend is microtransactions. If you buy a game, why are you forced to pay more for it? Ridiculous. Now they purposely cripple a game and make them standard, deluxe and ultimate just to milk the consumer. Greed, greed, greed.
That is a common misconception. MS and Sony don't pay for dedicated servers of third party games, in fact tons of games if not most of them are peer hosted P2P multiplayer. MS and Sony are basically running off with those online fees and justifying them with monthly "free games". Meanwhile Steam, Origin, Uplay, BNET etc provide the exact same service but actually for free while also offering actually free games be it less regularly. To be fair tho lots of PC games are filled with microtransaction garbage too but at least you can play online for free
Oct 31, 2007
3204 posts
343 upvotes
Not sure if I'm just old fashioned but I still need my PC for FPS games! Can't beat the graphics and a mouse+keyboard. Not that I have the same amount of time to game as I used to, but Overwatch is what I play mostly, and have a blast doing it! Can't imagine playing it on console.
Jan 26, 2008
701 posts
44 upvotes
Scarborough
Just purchased an IPS 1440p monitor for PC gaming. The eye candy and the controls I have over many titles are surreal.