Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6022 posts
811 upvotes
Grimsby
nufan wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 3:59 pm
Not sure if I'm just old fashioned but I still need my PC for FPS games! Can't beat the graphics and a mouse+keyboard. Not that I have the same amount of time to game as I used to, but Overwatch is what I play mostly, and have a blast doing it! Can't imagine playing it on console.
Yeah I can't really do FPS on controllers either, its just too imprecise and I hate aim-assist. I managed to get through the Halo/Gears series with a controller but to be honest it was miserable and I wanted a mouse the entire time.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4832 posts
648 upvotes
calgary
Redmask wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:50 am
Yeah I can't really do FPS on controllers either, its just too imprecise and I hate aim-assist. I managed to get through the Halo/Gears series with a controller but to be honest it was miserable and I wanted a mouse the entire time.
Total opposite here, I grew up on PC playing games like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 but once I left and tried to come back I just couldn't get the feel for the M&K. When I go from console to PC playing games like CoD or Battlefield, I just get totally worked now because everyone else aims so well and I totally struggle. It's probably a matter of just everyone being amazing with M&K and me practically starting from scratch and needing to get used to and improve with that method of control but I dont really play enough PC games anymore to ever really improve much.

Having said that not every game is the same, Games like Halo, Titanfall, & Destiny control great on a controller because they've done a lot of work implementing an aim assist that works well and isn't intrusive, there was a documentary about Halo 5 a few years back and they spent a lot of time talking about this. Not every game is programmed like that though, Bethesda games are the worst offenders IMO, Wolfenstien 2 has really bad aim assist on console and aiming around with the controller doesn't feel great, I imagine a game like that would be much better with a M&K, same goes for Doom and Fallout.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6022 posts
811 upvotes
Grimsby
Everyone should use whats comfortable for them and I agree that what you are familiar with counts for more.

To me though, the mouse is objectively better for aim in a literal sense. It doesn't matter how the game is designed, the mouse will always be better unless developers actively do things to sabotage it like smoothing and aim assist. That doesn't mean everyone has to use one of course. Sometimes I get home from work and just want to sit on the couch, I totally get that. I just don't play FPS when I do :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5335 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
nufan wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 3:59 pm
Not sure if I'm just old fashioned but I still need my PC for FPS games! Can't beat the graphics and a mouse+keyboard. Not that I have the same amount of time to game as I used to, but Overwatch is what I play mostly, and have a blast doing it! Can't imagine playing it on console.
Redmask wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:50 am
It's not even just FPS for me at this point but third person shooters and action games in general ever since I got used to the snappy camera control and overall better precision of the Steam Controller. I still prefer to use a controller from my couch for single player shooters, third person action games, RPGs, basically everything except competitive/twitch FPS games, and the steam controller is exponentially better than a dual analog pad to me at this point.
As much as I'm enjoying HZD and Lost Legacy lately, that PS4 controller is an absolute slog to play with and feels like the 20 year old design it is. At least the Xbox and Nintendo Pro controllers have a somewhat more comfortable analog layout but I'm generally over thumbstick camera/aim and wish console designers would move onto something better.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6022 posts
811 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm equally comfortable with both the PS4 and Xbox controllers but I know a lot of people seem to prefer asymmetrical analog stick layout on the Xbox.

I wonder if someone has made a dongle to let you use the Steam Controller on a console. Probably not due to all of the extra config required. I have to be honest, I've sort of given up on mine. I found it too tedious since every game I needed to almost start from scratch to get a comfortable config. Maybe over the holidays I will give it another chance.

Love the Steam Link though, that thing is handy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5335 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:28 am
I'm equally comfortable with both the PS4 and Xbox controllers but I know a lot of people seem to prefer asymmetrical analog stick layout on the Xbox.

I wonder if someone has made a dongle to let you use the Steam Controller on a console. Probably not due to all of the extra config required. I have to be honest, I've sort of given up on mine. I found it too tedious since every game I needed to almost start from scratch to get a comfortable config. Maybe over the holidays I will give it another chance.

Love the Steam Link though, that thing is handy.
I would love to be able to use the SC on my PS4 but you do need to customize the right track pad and gyro on a game by game basis so it's probably not possible. I have it down to a simple routine now where I start with the default "gamepad with camera control" template, map a couple things to the paddles (reload/grenade/melee typically), then adjust the right trackpad and gyro sensitivity until it feels right and I'm usually good to go in 5-10 minutes. On the rare occasions it just doesn't work out or feel good no matter what I just pick up the 360 pad.
Aug 23, 2007
113 posts
43 upvotes
London
sirex wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 11:48 pm
Arma 3 - seemed like lots of populated servers, no one playing the base game though.
Trying to play "base game" Arma 3 is like trying to play "base game" Garry's Mod. Modded content is where the game shines. There are plenty of servers running custom missions that don't require mods though.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1899 posts
311 upvotes
Calgary
When PS4 came out that you had to pay to play online, I said forget that and built a gaming PC. Now I regret it because like you said the online community is dead compared to console, I pay for a season pass for new maps and you will find people for the few weeks after but then no one after a couple months.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
1956 posts
1299 upvotes
Montreal
Asoul wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 2:22 pm
When PS4 came out that you had to pay to play online, I said forget that and built a gaming PC. Now I regret it because like you said the online community is dead compared to console, I pay for a season pass for new maps and you will find people for the few weeks after but then no one after a couple months.
What games are you playing?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1899 posts
311 upvotes
Calgary
clee290 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 2:41 pm
What games are you playing?
Call of Duty games except I didn't get Infinite warfare and WW2
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
1956 posts
1299 upvotes
Montreal
Asoul wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 3:30 pm
Call of Duty games except I didn't get Infinite warfare and WW2
Yea, Call of Duty just isn't a very popular game on PC. Two of the CoD studios (Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games) don't care about the PC community. Treyarch is decent. But it's a vicious cycle. The developers see a small playerbase PC, so they put less effort into the PC version, the players see a shitty port, so they don't play it.

But to say 'the online community is dead compared to console' is just wrong. You have millions playing PUBG, CS:GO, DOTA, League of Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, etc. You just have to know what games to play on PC and CoD just isn't one of them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6022 posts
811 upvotes
Grimsby
CoD used to be huge on PC but they killed it by forcing matchmaking and not letting players run servers anymore. PC gamers do not like matchmaking. I hear they have backtracked on some of that stuff nowadays but its too late for me, I moved on from CoD :(