None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4768 posts
1265 upvotes
Toronto

PC Gaming General Discussion

I know there are at least a dozen PC gamers that frequent this board so I just wanted to get some actual PC gaming discussion going since the vast majority of the topics on this board seem to be about console related stuff despite being named "PC and Video Games". This thread will hopefully serve as a place to discuss games, give/receive game recommendations, hardware discussion and a place to find other PC players for multilayer on Steam, Origin or whatever else you use.
Please also help keep this thread free of platform war or trolling posts. If you see any posts promoting that type of behavior please just ignore them and report them. The intention here is to create a place for productive and positive discussion among PC gamers about PC gaming content.

Some points of discussion to get things going

- What games are you playing right now? What have you played recently that was good? What have you played that was bad?

- What upcoming games are you looking forward to or what's on your wishlist to buy and play next?

- What type of setup do you have currently? Are you looking into any upgrades? Post pics of your Battlestation if you'd like!

- Are there any recent articles related to games or hardware development that have caught your attention?

Lets discuss!
3581 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4768 posts
1265 upvotes
Toronto
I'll get things started

I've been playing a lot of GRID: Autosport lately and just driving/racing games in general after picking up a Logitech G27 a few months back thanks to a good deal I found over on Hot Deals. I think it's the best racing game I've played on PC yet and it may be my favorite release of 2014 so far. Amazing graphics, great sound, tons of cars and tracks, great variety of disciplines, awesome career structure, solid multiplayer. By far the best Codemasters racer in years. I can't get enough of this game right now.

Also just picked up Rocksmith 2014 to help me get back into practicing guitar regular and I'm loving it. I've already learned 4-5 songs I never knew how to play before thanks to this game. $15 well spent already.

I tend to have at least 1 old game on the go as well. I just wrapped up Jedi Outcast 2 which was great and have Jedi Academy queued up next. These games have aged amazingly imo. Highly recommend for any Star Wars fan if you've never played them. I believe they're on sale on GMG right now too.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5645 posts
606 upvotes
Grimsby
I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin lately and I think its one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. It's a nice mix of Baldurs Gate with Fallout Tactics style combat. The story is nothing to write home about but the combat is challenging without being ridiculous and the game has a lot of humor. The builds are almost old school D&D style and it feels very rewarding. Lots of hidden quests and other stuff too. I'm about 30 hours in and not done yet. Great game, absolutely recommended for RPG fans. It's also on GOG if you want a DRM free option.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4768 posts
1265 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 11:36 am
I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin lately and I think its one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. It's a nice mix of Baldurs Gate with Fallout Tactics style combat. The story is nothing to write home about but the combat is challenging without being ridiculous and the game has a lot of humor. The builds are almost old school D&D style and it feels very rewarding. Lots of hidden quests and other stuff too. I'm about 30 hours in and not done yet. Great game, absolutely recommended for RPG fans. It's also on GOG if you want a DRM free option.
I've read nothing but good things about this game since it released. I'm kind of burned out on RPG's atm after recently finishing Fallout NV, Witcher 2 and still chipping away at the last bit of Dragon Age Origins on and off but this is definitely on my radar. I'm not very good at "strategy" type games in general but does this game have an "easy" setting for combat? I like to play my RPG's on easy to feel powerful and just explore the worlds and take in the environment. Would you recommend it to someone like me?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
1944 posts
176 upvotes
Playing a ton of One Way Heroics. I got it for $0.78 from the last Steam sale. Highly recommended if you're into Roguelike games. It's actually properly turn based (Enemies move when you move) and procedurally generated. Fair number of customization options too. If it's on sale again it's easily a no brainer for half the price of candy bar.
Mar 14, 2008
440 posts
102 upvotes
Just completed Gunpoint and The Wolf Among Us. Both good games and would recommend. Planning on working my way through Syberia 1 and 2 slowly.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5645 posts
606 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 11:42 am
I've read nothing but good things about this game since it released. I'm kind of burned out on RPG's atm after recently finishing Fallout NV, Witcher 2 and still chipping away at the last bit of Dragon Age Origins on and off but this is definitely on my radar. I'm not very good at "strategy" type games in general but does this game have an "easy" setting for combat? I like to play my RPG's on easy to feel powerful and just explore the worlds and take in the environment. Would you recommend it to someone like me?
The early game is the most challenging and it does have difficulty settings. If you're a creative thinker it has fleshed out terrain and spell interaction which can make the combat much easier. For example you can hit a pool of water with lightning to stun enemies inside, ignite oil with fire and so on. Using these things in battle is not a gimmick, its well rounded and rewards the thinker. So I guess the answer is it depends on how you approach the game. It can be very punishing at times but usually you can figure that you need to approach it differently. The bigger challenge is the lack of guidance early on, as gamers we're so conditioned to exclamation points and handholding these days, this game has none of that. You have to seek out quest givers and figure things out for yourself based on the quest text. If you skip text you will have a hard time.

It also has co-op which I've used with a buddy and we've been having a great time. So if you check it out and are having a hard time you can feel free to hit me up on Steam and I'll be happy to assist.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4768 posts
1265 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 11:58 am
The early game is the most challenging and it does have difficulty settings. If you're a creative thinker it has fleshed out terrain and spell interaction which can make the combat much easier. For example you can hit a pool of water with lightning to stun enemies inside, ignite oil with fire and so on. Using these things in battle is not a gimmick, its well rounded and rewards the thinker. So I guess the answer is it depends on how you approach the game. It can be very punishing at times but usually you can figure that you need to approach it differently. The bigger challenge is the lack of guidance early on, as gamers we're so conditioned to exclamation points and handholding these days, this game has none of that. You have to seek out quest givers and figure things out for yourself based on the quest text. If you skip text you will have a hard time.

It also has co-op which I've used with a buddy and we've been having a great time. So if you check it out and are having a hard time you can feel free to hit me up on Steam and I'll be happy to assist.
Sounds very interesting. I need to get through the rest of DA:O first but this will probably be the next RPG I pick up. When I'm in need of another RPG I will look out for it on sale. Adding it to my steam wishlist now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4768 posts
1265 upvotes
Toronto
spursbob wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 11:52 am
Just completed Gunpoint and The Wolf Among Us. Both good games and would recommend. Planning on working my way through Syberia 1 and 2 slowly.
Grabbed TWAU during the summer sale and loved it. $9 well spent. I was a little underwhelmed by the ending but the ride there was amazing. I'm starving for TWD Season 2 to wrap up and this definitely suppressed the hunger for now. I think I maybe even enjoyed it more than TWD Season 1.
Mar 14, 2007
730 posts
56 upvotes
Currently playing: CIV V Brave New World, Assassin's Creed 4, Elder Scrolls Online

Recently played: Max Payne 3 (it's horrible), CIV IV beyond the sword (still a long time favourite), Assassin's Creed 3 (not bad), Elder Scrolls Skyrim & Oblivion (excellent games, played through more than once)

Looking forward to: Civilization Beyond Earth, GTA 5, Watch Dogs (whenever there is a sale for it)

My Rig: It's an older custom build I made from back in 2010, i7-875K 2.93GHz with 8GB of DDR3 ram, SSD boot drive + 1.5GB Hard drive, 1GB AMD video card, in a full Antec tower. It has held up quite well over the number years now that it is about 4 years old, I have found that only in the last year that the hardware is having a harder time keeping up with the max settings of new games but still can run everything quite well. I think I'll throw a new video card in there soon and it should be good to go for a while, don't see any need to build a new system just yet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4768 posts
1265 upvotes
Toronto
zerokarma wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 12:21 pm
Currently playing: CIV V Brave New World, Assassin's Creed 4, Elder Scrolls Online

Recently played: Max Payne 3 (it's horrible), CIV IV beyond the sword (still a long time favourite), Assassin's Creed 3 (not bad), Elder Scrolls Skyrim & Oblivion (excellent games, played through more than once)

Looking forward to: Civilization Beyond Earth, GTA 5, Watch Dogs (whenever there is a sale for it)

My Rig: It's an older custom build I made from back in 2010, i7-875K 2.93GHz with 8GB of DDR3 ram, SSD boot drive + 1.5GB Hard drive, 1GB AMD video card, in a full Antec tower. It has held up quite well over the number years now that it is about 4 years old, I have found that only in the last year that the hardware is having a harder time keeping up with the max settings of new games but still can run everything quite well. I think I'll throw a new video card in there soon and it should be good to go for a while, don't see any need to build a new system just yet.
Damn what was your beef with Max Payne 3? I freaking loved that game. The PC port was gorgeous too so here's hoping for an equally good if not better GTA V

Your rig will def be held back by the 1GB GPU. I have a similar build, i7 2700k, 8GB, 1TB 7200 rpm drive and the difference going from a 1GB 560ti to a 2GB 760 was pretty big. with the 760 I can run most games smoothly at 1080p with near max settings being conservative with AA.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
1755 posts
245 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jul 30th, 2014 12:30 pm
Damn what was your beef with Max Payne 3? I freaking loved that game. The PC port was gorgeous too so here's hoping for an equally good if not better GTA V

Your rig will def be held back by the 1GB GPU. I have a similar build, i7 2700k, 8GB, 1TB 7200 rpm drive and the difference going from a 1GB 560ti to a 2GB 760 was pretty big. with the 760 I can run most games smoothly at 1080p with near max settings being conservative with AA.
Yeah, I would have to agree with Max Payne. I wouldn't say I loved it, but it was a lot of fun. I really liked the environments they created. I'd be interested to know what the poster found so horrible about it.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4700 posts
333 upvotes
Low end player here. When I have time, I play Sanctum 2. Modest machine, Phenom X3 unlocked, 4GB, 512MB 5750
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
1998 posts
53 upvotes
After I'm done all my daily tasks and finally get to settle down I play these depends on what I feel like.

Heroes of Newerth, I think still the best MOBA game out there. I can't stand LoL or DOTA2 the pace feels off to me. Been playing HoN since its beta.

WoW - Still the best mmorpg out there.

D3 - If I'm feeling brainless I play this, I tend to get into it if I get good drops.

BF4 - Have to justify my SLI GTX690's somehow

Still pissed off I can't play Witcher 2 that I bought from the summer sale.
Feb 19, 2006
829 posts
117 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I haven't played games on PC in a while, but if I were they would include: Soldat, Starcraft, Age of Empires, Chess (Fritz or yahoo chess), flight simulator, Worms, billiards and Stacked (poker game).

Will be picking up Football Manager 2015 for the PC. All other games I play on the PS4.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel